General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fees Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-17 12:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Race Fees
I am in shock. I went online to register for the Birch Bay 15k in two weeks and race fee was $50. This would be my sixth race in the past few months and the most I've paid so far is $20. All were good local races that were reasonably well organized. Last one I got a very nice shirt included. Curious if their attendance will drop. Would you pay $50 for a race like this?

http://birchbayroadrace.com/

Edited by popsracer 2011-03-17 12:56 AM

2011-03-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3401398

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Race Fees
Seems steep for that race. I think I've paid about that for the last several tri's I've done...
2011-03-17 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have noticed some prices going up a bit. My half marathon I think went up 5 or 10 dollors from what I paid last year but it is a good race so I did not mind.

Personally I would not pay that much.

2011-03-17 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I've noticed the prices have risen quite a bit this year! I mean almost $40 for a 5K?  Ridiculous!  I'm trying to find bigger races - longer distances to do. I signed up for STP and it was $95 yet one of the tri's I want to do is over $100!!  I'm having to pass on a lot of favourites this year just due to the cost and also my lack of money., or lack of not wanting to spend THAT much.
2011-03-17 11:51 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I think most race fees have spun out of control, but this one is not too far above a reasonable price for a 15K. I feel like a top-quality 15K should cost about $30. Less if it's a no-frills event.

So no I wouldn't pay that price. I'd go run 9 miles on my own unless there was something special about this race or I had a shot at a big PR.

It seems like for-profit races have increased in prevalence over the past few years, so race fees have also increased. It makes sense from a business standpoint because the demand is apparently there, but eventually people will come to their senses. Hopefully.
2011-06-13 2:35 PM

User image

I agree that race fees may be getting out of control.  Is it all about business, marketing and sponsorships.

I know we could do our own race without the support of a big name backing us.  I've already done a half IM distance in training, and, didn't have to pay $225 for it.

Which leads me to this - why should we pay to race anyway?  Most of us are not going to get such a course time that will land a pro ranking or sponsorships.  I know a race pushes a person to a level that they cannot attain when training by themselves.

What are some of your thoughts?  Why pay to race?  Considering the fee, the travel time, hotel, etc.  Is it worth it for what you get in return (a shirt, water bottle, etc.)?

2011-06-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3546819

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Recovery - 2011-06-13 12:35 PM

I agree that race fees may be getting out of control.  Is it all about business, marketing and sponsorships.

I know we could do our own race without the support of a big name backing us.  I've already done a half IM distance in training, and, didn't have to pay $225 for it.

Which leads me to this - why should we pay to race anyway?  Most of us are not going to get such a course time that will land a pro ranking or sponsorships.  I know a race pushes a person to a level that they cannot attain when training by themselves.

What are some of your thoughts?  Why pay to race?  Considering the fee, the travel time, hotel, etc.  Is it worth it for what you get in return (a shirt, water bottle, etc.)?

It's a hobby! How many people really do a cost/benefit analysis on their hobbies?

2011-06-13 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3546819

User image

Extreme Veteran
Recovery - 2011-06-13 12:35 PM

I don't really do "destination races" so there is no hotel cost to worry about. I eat about the same whether at home or staying with a family member two hours away, about the only difference would be gas usage which, even at these prices, is not bad.

A race for me is about getting to do something with other people who love doing it. They also let you, some of them at least, experience things you would not otherwise be able to do. For instance the Seahawks 12k lets you run around the Seahawks training camp/field area and closes down the road for people to run on it. Decent course with a lot of runners from super fast to super slow. I think the race was about 30 bucks this year (maybe 35 but it goes to support a charity - boys and girls club - so I do not mind, plus they have pretty good shirts and lots of post race goodies)

2011-06-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3546859

Master
, California

Organization, timing, website results, course markings / traffic control, aid stations / porta potty... a lot of things go into a race beyond your average solo workout.  You can argue that the prices might be too high, but free?  Not likely.

I don't care about the "race goodies".  I wish more races would let you register at a lower fee w/o that stuff.

2011-06-13 4:16 PM

User image

With other recent comments, I'll add that I have paid the fees in the past and did not "complain" about it.  One benefit that comes to mind in a race is being able to go a certain distance - whether it's a HIM, half marathon, etc. - without having to stop for traffic lights and intersections! 

I actually have no problem with paying the fees, though, I'm content with remaining in the HIM category and not graduating to the fees involved for a full IM.  Plus, the time involved to prepare for that distance and finish it without going to a med tent is too much for my current schedule.

However, this is one "hobby" that I've never considered a "hobby," per se.    It has become a lifestyle that runs through every fabric of my existence, including the fees paid once or twice a year.

Is there a fee limit that you won't cross?

2011-06-13 5:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
"Is there a fee limit that you won't cross?"

Yes, but it depends on the type of race. I can afford to pretty much do what I want so its more a matter of principle and having alternatives and choices.

Would I pay $50 for a local 5k? No.
Would I pay $600 for an IM? Yes.
Would I pay $200 for a local Olympic? No.

2011-06-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3547023

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Recovery - 2011-06-13 2:16 PM

With other recent comments, I'll add that I have paid the fees in the past and did not "complain" about it.  One benefit that comes to mind in a race is being able to go a certain distance - whether it's a HIM, half marathon, etc. - without having to stop for traffic lights and intersections! 

I actually have no problem with paying the fees, though, I'm content with remaining in the HIM category and not graduating to the fees involved for a full IM.  Plus, the time involved to prepare for that distance and finish it without going to a med tent is too much for my current schedule.

However, this is one "hobby" that I've never considered a "hobby," per se.    It has become a lifestyle that runs through every fabric of my existence, including the fees paid once or twice a year.

Is there a fee limit that you won't cross?

Yes, there is a line, and it's why I will never do an IM-branded event, or a Tri-Rock.

2011-06-23 7:33 PM

User image

New user

Inland Northwest

If you are looking for an inexpensive run, try Bloomsday on the first Sunday in May in Spokane.  It was only $15 this year and included great support and a finisher t-shirt for a 12K race.  The race would not happen without volunteers.

I sometimes pay more for races, but those races usually have the best support.  The least expensive tri I have done is the Iron Eagle sprint at $25, which is a fun race, but no timing chips and only water at the bike and run turnarounds.  In many ways they charge what the market will bear, but you do also get what you pay for in more expensive races. I enjoy the experience of pacing myself with others on the course, and cycling on a course where I don't need to stop all the time.  When it stops being fun, I stop racing, and for me it is still fun.

I race close to home, so food and lodging don't drive up the price of races for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fees Rss Feed