Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-03-17 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid)

with my sons elementary school?  Last night I get home to find he has been allowed to take out the following 2 books from the school library

1. Scary Stories to tell in the dark - Alvin Schwarz

2. Scary Stories, more tales to chill your bones - Alvin Schwarz

These books are, in my view, not suitable for 3rd grade children, some sample images:

the stories as you can imagine are ghost stories and are pretty dark.  yes that is a man hanging and a lady with spiders crawling out of her face.

Now, I get that kids want to read this stuff, but please, come on, my son is in 3rd grade, in fact, he is only 7 years old, he was advanced a grade.  but regardless I do not want him even at 8-9 like his classmates, reading this material.  I am appalled the school allowed a 7 year old child to sign out these books.  Am I being unrealistic?  What say you all, is this suitable for 3rd grade reading?  honestly I don't think it should be in elementary school at all.  there I'm showing my British prude......

Obviously I sat down and discussed it with my son, we agreed he should not read them at his age and he understood our concerns with his imagination running wild after reading them, so he is cool, but I am furious with the school.

2011-03-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3401821

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid)

Should be burn them too?

I think sitting down and talking with him and deciding not to read is the right approach. I think holding the school responsible for your sons choices is the wrong approach.

2011-03-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3401824

User image

Melon Presser
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 11:47 PM

Should be burn them too?

I think sitting down and talking with him and deciding not to read is the right approach. I think holding the school responsible for your sons choices is the wrong approach.

Yes. Very wise on your part.

No, of course I don't think those images and probably not those books are appropriate for a seven-year-old. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with them for, say, 10-11 year olds. We were reading Stephen King and watching Freddie by that age.

Your elementary school library just doesn't have the resources to patrol what age each kid is and what they can and can't and should or shouldn't be checking out.

2011-03-17 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Sure, you can be angry, but don't blame the school. It's that kind of thinking that has created the nanny-state. Responsibility begins at home.
2011-03-17 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

not quite into burning books....

So you think the educators of my child, the guardians of my child through times that are very influential in his life, should not be held accountable for the material he is allowed to select......so, no restrictions on web sites he browses from the school IT room?    I'm sorry, I think the school have the responsibility to guide a child away from inappropriate material.  and in my mind this isn't close to appropriate.

2011-03-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3401847

User image

Melon Presser
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 11:56 PM

So you think the educators of my child, the guardians of my child through times that are very influential in his life, should not be held accountable for the material he is allowed to select......so, no restrictions on web sites he browses from the school IT room?    I'm sorry, I think the school have the responsibility to guide a child away from inappropriate material.  and in my mind this isn't close to appropriate.

On a practical level, how would you propose that be accomplished?

2011-03-17 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area

I am very liberal with how I talk and what I discuss with my 6 yr old son.  I feel it has really helped with his remarkable grasp of the English Language, at the age of 3 it was like argueing with a teenager.  So the sit down talk was perferct.

I actually agree with Dewybuck on his son shouldn't have been allowed to check out the book.  I don't really know and don't want to argue if the book should even be in an elemetry school, I have no problem with an 11-12 yr old reading it.  But, should a 6 yr old be able to check out the book, what about the kindergarden class that goes to the library?  Can they also check out the book?  You don't just walk into a library take a book and walk out, an adult has to physically check you out.  I wouldn't get into an uproar about it, but I would have a nice conversation with teacher.

Wow, I never thought I would be the conservative one :-)

2011-03-17 10:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-17 10:06 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 7:56 AM

No. It's the responsibility of the PARENTS to teach right and wrong AT HOME such that the child makes appropriate choices when they're elsewhere.

2011-03-17 10:07 AM

Pro
Houston
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 9:56 AM

First of all we are talking books not computers and you should know as well as I do you had to sign a release to allow your child to use the internet at school AND the restrictions on those computers are very tight - I know at our elementary school the kids can't even use Google. We are talking books and it is YOUR job, not the schools job to make sure your son makes the right choices and when he doesn't (because children don't often make the best choices which is good and healthy and where they learn lessons) it is your job to sit with him just like you did and discuss why this is not a good choice.

Do you really expect the teacher to go through every single child's book choices? Or would you rather they get back to the classroom to learn something? It would take a while to go through everyones books page by page to check for pictures that may not been age appropriate. You certainly can't expect the teacher to know the contents of every book in the library.

2011-03-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3401860

Melon Presser
Bmel - 2011-03-18 12:03 AM

I am very liberal with how I talk and what I discuss with my 6 yr old son.  I feel it has really helped with his remarkable grasp of the English Language, at the age of 3 it was like argueing with a teenager.  So the sit down talk was perferct.

I actually agree with Dewybuck on his son shouldn't have been allowed to check out the book.  I don't really know and don't want to argue if the book should even be in an elemetry school, I have no problem with an 11-12 yr old reading it.  But, should a 6 yr old be able to check out the book, what about the kindergarden class that goes to the library?  Can they also check out the book?  You don't just walk into a library take a book and walk out, an adult has to physically check you out.  I wouldn't get into an uproar about it, but I would have a nice conversation with teacher.

Yes.

And again, what are the standards this adult should be following? Is the checkout system computerized? What kind of information should it have on each child? How is this all supposed to get established and followed?

2011-03-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3401860

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Bmel - 2011-03-17 8:03 AM

You're not. That's the liberal viewpoint.

2011-03-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3401865

Pro
Houston
AcesFull - 2011-03-17 10:05 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 9:47 AM

Should be burn them too?

Ensuring that reading material is age-appropriate is FAR from book-burning.  I do think that the school bears some responsibility for having age-appropriate books in the library.  By your logic, the school could have copies of Hustler on the shelves

Really? Because that would be appropriate for 5th and 6th graders? The book in question seems like it would be fine for a child in 5th or 6th grade.

Some school libraries break the room down by appropriate ages/grades and some do not. Some are broken down K-2 and 3-5 or 6. However, I can see how not every library has this option. Maybe they have limited space.

There are going to be a lot of things that happen at school parents do not agree with. We can only control what we can control holding the teacher responsible for a childs every action is keeping them from teaching which is a HUGE problem in most schools.

in reply to: #3401865

Melon Presser
AcesFull - 2011-03-18 12:05 AM

Should be burn them too?

Ensuring that reading material is age-appropriate is FAR from book-burning.  I do think that the school bears some responsibility for having age-appropriate books in the library.  By your logic, the school could have copies of Hustler on the shelves. 

Of course. But several in this thread have noted those books might be age-appropriate for older elementary-school children. And that's just a few examples of the possibly tens of thousands of books in the library.

Who's going to go through them all, make the calls, how, and again, how would it be implemented?

I really can't argue this on an ethical level; I just don't know. [Aside: as insanely socially liberal as I am, I don't think, for example, The Lion King movie is appropriate for young children].

However, on a practical level, I don't see any way to get it done.

in reply to: #3401873

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 11:07 AM
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 9:56 AM

First of all we are talking books not computers and you should know as well as I do you had to sign a release to allow your child to use the internet at school AND the restrictions on those computers are very tight - I know at our elementary school the kids can't even use Google. We are talking books and it is YOUR job, not the schools job to make sure your son makes the right choices and when he doesn't (because children don't often make the best choices which is good and healthy and where they learn lessons) it is your job to sit with him just like you did and discuss why this is not a good choice.

Do you really expect the teacher to go through every single child's book choices? Or would you rather they get back to the classroom to learn something? It would take a while to go through everyones books page by page to check for pictures that may not been age appropriate. You certainly can't expect the teacher to know the contents of every book in the library.

And if the child is supposed to be reading said book in school and not taking it home?  The concept of parents being responsible is all well and good but there needs to be a partnership with the school.  Either sided abdicating responsibility is not the way to have a partnership.

2011-03-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3401885

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
TriAya - 2011-03-17 11:13 AM

Should be burn them too?

Ensuring that reading material is age-appropriate is FAR from book-burning.  I do think that the school bears some responsibility for having age-appropriate books in the library.  By your logic, the school could have copies of Hustler on the shelves. 

Of course. But several in this thread have noted those books might be age-appropriate for older elementary-school children. And that's just a few examples of the possibly tens of thousands of books in the library.

Who's going to go through them all, make the calls, how, and again, how would it be implemented?

I really can't argue this on an ethical level; I just don't know. [Aside: as insanely socially liberal as I am, I don't think, for example, The Lion King movie is appropriate for young children].

Is this not what a librarian is for?

2011-03-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3401884

Expert
Broadlands
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 11:13 AM

Should be burn them too?

Ensuring that reading material is age-appropriate is FAR from book-burning.  I do think that the school bears some responsibility for having age-appropriate books in the library.  By your logic, the school could have copies of Hustler on the shelves

Really? Because that would be appropriate for 5th and 6th graders? The book in question seems like it would be fine for a child in 5th or 6th grade.

Some school libraries break the room down by appropriate ages/grades and some do not. Some are broken down K-2 and 3-5 or 6. However, I can see how not every library has this option. Maybe they have limited space.

There are going to be a lot of things that happen at school parents do not agree with. We can only control what we can control holding the teacher responsible for a childs every action is keeping them from teaching which is a HUGE problem in most schools.

OK, at what point did I say Teacher?  I said School, I know my sons teacher does not have the time to check every book all the children get, that is why they have a permanent staff of 2 in the library, they have a very nice, computerized check out system where the children hand the books to the staff to be scanned and added to their accounts.  If they had no adult involvement, I would just have discussed his choices as I did and perhaps mentioned it to the school, but the fact that they have adult interaction for every book that leaves the library....I am very annoyed.

ETA: Just so we're clear, I have huge respect for any person involved in the education system, especially the teaching staff, they do probably one of the most important roles in any community and do not get half the kudos for doing so......

Edited by dewybuck 2011-03-17 10:24 AM
2011-03-17 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3401888

Melon Presser

trinnas - 2011-03-18 12:14 AM

Should be burn them too?

maybe. But librarians have a million other duties, too. Do some states' central school board determine ratings and rankings for every single possible school library book? If so, a librarian might have some guidelines to follow, but again, implementation--how that person/staff/system would make sure every single kid's every single book every single time follows those guidelines.

I'm in complete agreement that there's a range, and an upper limit to which books should be in an elementary school library. But that is a huge range encompassing children from 5-12 years old, and I personally wouldn't know how to determine that upper limit, much less implement it by groups.

2011-03-17 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3401901

Melon Presser
dewybuck - 2011-03-18 12:19 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 11:13 AM

Should be burn them too?

OK, at what point did I say Teacher?  I said School, I know my sons teacher does not have the time to check every book all the children get, that is why they have a permanent staff of 2 in the library, they have a very nice, computerized check out system where the children hand the books to the staff to be scanned and added to their accounts.  If they had no adult involvement, I would just have discussed his choices as I did and perhaps mentioned it to the school, but the fact that they have adult interaction for every book that leaves the library....I am very annoyed.

ETA: Just so we're clear, I have huge respect for any person involved in the education system, especially the teaching staff, they do probably one of the most important roles in any community and do not get half the kudos for doing so......

Well ... again, neither you nor anyone else has proposed what I'd consider practical standards (how to be determined?) and, practically, how to implement those standards in a library that serves a very diverse range of ages and backgrounds.

What do you suggest these 2 staffers do, and how should this work with the computer system?

2011-03-17 10:34 AM

Elite
these books have been popular for YEARS...I remember my 4th graders checking them out ten years ago...and my students are still checking them out.

Say what you will about appropriateness, they are immensely popular. 

What you are proposing is like a movie rating for books.  Books currently are only assessed on a readability level, not necessarily content.  We  have books organized by topics that are geared towards older students a separate section, for 7th and 8th grade.

That may be a better response to ask the school about, maybe reserve those for 5th graders if it is an elementary school.
2011-03-17 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3401924

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
TriAya - 2011-03-17 10:29 AM

trinnas - 2011-03-18 12:14 AM

Should be burn them too?

maybe. But librarians have a million other duties, too. Do some states' central school board determine ratings and rankings for every single possible school library book? If so, a librarian might have some guidelines to follow, but again, implementation--how that person/staff/system would make sure every single kid's every single book every single time follows those guidelines.

I'm in complete agreement that there's a range, and an upper limit to which books should be in an elementary school library. But that is a huge range encompassing children from 5-12 years old, and I personally wouldn't know how to determine that upper limit, much less implement it by groups.

And even then, some kids can handle various topics earlier or later than their peers can. How does one determine that? Or should all kids be restricted to a list of approved books based on their ages, even though legal age may not determine a thing about their mental/emotional/psychological age?

2011-03-17 10:36 AM

Pro
Houston

How does the libarian know what you are OK with?

I just had a discussion with my 15 year old son, reading him some of the responses.

He says he knows lots of kids who read books/watch movies/play video games he was not allowed to play/read/watch but their parents are OK with it. My XH has a 2nd grader that is allowed to play Mature video games.

So.... how is the librarian supposed to know what is OK with you? Maybe you need to make a list.

Different people have different opinions on what is appropriate.

And 2 librarians for an entire school isn't really a full staff. You might want to find out if determining appropriateness of childrens choices is in their job description.

2011-03-17 10:36 AM

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Have you talked to your son previously about your feelings about scary or adult themed literature?

Have you talked to your son's teacher about these same feelings?

Are you sure the aide that checked him out did not ask a simple question of "Are you sure you should be reading this?"

The books in question are well within the limits of an elementary school library. I read those same books in elementary school. Your son is obviously bright and he was more than likely entrigued by the books.

To the other posters... They are in no way comparable to porn... all of the stories have roots in classic literature (Tell Tale Heart, Dracula, etc) that are simplified for young readers. Many are just funny. They are not gruesome, gorey books.
2011-03-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3401934

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 11:36 AM

How does the libarian know what you are OK with?

I just had a discussion with my 15 year old son, reading him some of the responses.

He says he knows lots of kids who read books/watch movies/play video games he was not allowed to play/read/watch but their parents are OK with it. My XH has a 2nd grader that is allowed to play Mature video games.

So.... how is the librarian supposed to know what is OK with you? Maybe you need to make a list.

Different people have different opinions on what is appropriate.

And 2 librarians for an entire school isn't really a full staff. You might want to find out if determining appropriateness of childrens choices is in their job description.

Totally agree, Keri - frankly the school is in a no-win situation.  Let's say another child tries to check out the book but is refused.  The child tells his parents. Their reaction is different and insists that it's their child's discretion and their parenting to decide what he should or shouldn't be reading.  Then the librarian is in trouble for censoring. Totally no win.

I know one summer when i babysat i would take the kids to the library.  The boy was not a reader at all but letting him check out books on bats, snakes, scary stories got him interested in reading ... not what I would prefer but I wanted him to read something!

Edited by juniperjen 2011-03-17 10:41 AM
2011-03-17 10:42 AM

Expert
Boise, ID

I have to wonder what is educational about "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark"?

Why is it in the school library to begin with? Regardless of the age of the child I doubt there is a lot of educational value in this book.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  

of 6