Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-03-17 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3402440

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid)

Leegoocrap - 2011-03-17 2:40 PM Man, I loved the Lion King

Make mine a Cub sandwich.

2011-03-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3402464

User image

Expert
Broadlands
TriAya - 2011-03-17 3:53 PM
dewybuck - 2011-03-18 4:40 AM
kns57 - 2011-03-17 3:28 PM

As a librarian I would like to say that we deal with this situation over and over again.  I am a public librarian, not a school librarian, but I do know that the school libraries have even stricter guidelines for what they purchase and what they can't.  These guidelines are used to purchase the materials that end up on the shelves.  Even if a book is donated to the library, it must still fall within the guidelines if it is going to be placed on the shelf.

A librarian cannot make the determination what can or can't be read by any individual child (or what can be checked out on their card.)  The books in the library are not set up by grade or age level as that varies wildly.  In any given class you can have children reading at 4 grades above their level, or below.  If you were to set up the library that way, then the child reading below grade level will be made to feel bad because they are choosing books from the 2nd grade level instead of the 4th grade level.  Also, I don't know about the schools by you, but our elementary schools have often 1000 - 1500 students in them.  One librarian cannot keep up with what each child in that school can or can't read.  One librarian can't talk to every student about the choice they made on what book to check out.  Often the class comes in and has about 10-15 minutes for 30 kids to choose a book and get it checked out, so the checkout process is really pretty quick in terms of contact between the student and the person who is doing the checking out (who actually may be a parent volunteer, and don't get me started on confidentiality issues when you have a volunteer making the decision on your child's reading material.)

In addition, the reading interests of the children vary.  And what parents are okay with their children reading varies.  What one parent might find inappropriate for their 3rd grader another may be okay with.

As a librarian, we always say the parent needs to make the decision regarding what their child reads and what they don't read.  We also encourage the parents to read the material first so that they can make an educated decision.  We encourage the parents to talk with their children about what has been read.

As a parent, when I had concern about what my child was reading, I spoke with the child.  Exactly what the original poster did.  Having an honest conversation with your child is going to do more for you than just BANNING materials and not talking about it.

Very well said, I have to say some points here give me some ideas for my discussion with the school.  It also tempers the anger slightly to see things from the other perspective....thank you.

I still think there should have been some way to catch it, and I think it's obvious those books were not appropriate and he should not have been able to take them out, I look forward to talking with the school and seeing what their take on it is.

You've had two professionals state that there really isn't. What could that "some way" possibly be?

We're all focused on the point of checking out the book, that need not be the solution.  I am sure the school could follow the mechanism they have for meals and have the books checked out by our children available for us to view online, giving us a view after the fact.  Now before the fact is not too challenging either, the online system could easily be connected to the point of check out, as a parent you could make filter selections based on theme/content/state determined age range etc.  the point of check out scan could easily flag red for parent restricted book.

would this catch 100%, perhaps not, would it be implementable and practical and encourage both school and parent responsibility.  sure would.  is the tool already in existence...sure, all over the place, you try and check out of a supermarket with alcohol and the system stops the process for age verification.

2011-03-17 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3402430

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-17 2:35 PM
TriAya - 2011-03-17 2:15 PM
SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-18 4:09 AM
TriAya - 2011-03-17 1:10 PM

SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-18 2:04 AM The issue is children selecting books that a parent does not approve - whether for "free reading time" or "assignments". If I understand the original post correctly. Thus, my solution means that the parent would be involved with every book a child needs to select for free reading in school or assignments. Kind of like being notified if you child is going to sit in a sex ed clas and you would rather be the one discussing that with them as opposed to the school. Check a box on a form, put it in the child's profile.

Okay. So on one issue (that was brought up by the OP--free reading, not for assignment), basically, the solution is either the child can check books out of the library or not. I'd agree, that's one checkbox, an additional hassle, but doable. I'm not sure how many schools would be willing to add that as an option, but it is a workable solution.

Now, on this other issue you brought up--if the child needs books for an assignment, the above solution would still work.

If I misinterpreted what you said, please let me know, because I'm not sure what "the parent would be involved with every book a child needs to select for free reading in school or assignments" means.

From my earlier post... "One solution is that for any assignments where a student has to choose a book, the parent is given the option to take their child to the public library or bookstore and pick out a book with them. That way the parent has the responsibility for guiding their child's selection of reading material." Thus, the parent is involved in books selected for free reading or assignments. My wife took our kids to the public library almost every week when they were smaller. So if a child needs a book for free reading time or an assignment it would be easy to pick one up.

So I got it wrong. In other words, it's not just an issue of ticking a box in a students' profiles and either a) allowing them to check books out from the school library, or b) not.

What you're proposing is that every single time students are taken to the library to select books for free reading, OR any time they are asked to use books for an assignment, that the teacher notify all the parents that students are about to select books (either for free reading or assignments), and parents should send some sort of notice back regarding whether or not, that particular time, their child will be selecting books from outside the school.

This is what I'm not understanding. What exactly is it that you're proposing?

I am saying there are solutions...unlike the many posts which say this is an impossible situation to resolve. With the use of modern technology it would be easy to record the parent's wishes to be involved with the selection of "non-textbooks" for their children's assignments.

So yes, 1) check the box at registration that you want to help your child select non-textbooks for reading and assignments. Thus, the teacher or librarian knows which students to send an assignment sheet home with where non-textbooks will be required for assignments. (for those who say this is just too hard, I point out that BT has 239866 registered users and the site is run by a couple or three guys. it's not the 60's, we have some technology to help with such a process that schools use every day). 2) When a child needs an additional book, bring a copy of the assignment home and help them find a book. Is it the best solution?

So the parent has to give a thumbs up or down on every book the kid checks out of the library?How would that work? As has been pointed out, typically the "library period" in an elementary school is about 30 minutes (or less) and 30 or so kids have to be processed at the desk. Given that a certain ammount of the time is given over to the selection of books, and perhaps the reading of a story by the librarian. You're left with maybe 15 minutes to check out the material. If each one has 3 books, that's about 90 transactions in 15 minutes that's 6 transactions a minute, or roughly a transaction every 10 seconds. Where would the time come from to inform the 60 parents (more or less) of the choices and get their approval?
2011-03-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3402440

User image

Extreme Veteran

Leegoocrap - 2011-03-17 12:40 PM Man, I loved the Lion King

The lion King would have been so much better though if it was done with Gecko's instead of Lions - isn't that right Yanti?

This thread has been very interesting to follow and I am glad everyone has kept it civil. very nice to see all the different beliefs and parenting styles bandied about.

2011-03-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3402492

User image

Melon Presser
dewybuck - 2011-03-18 5:03 AM

We're all focused on the point of checking out the book, that need not be the solution.  I am sure the school could follow the mechanism they have for meals and have the books checked out by our children available for us to view online, giving us a view after the fact.  Now before the fact is not too challenging either, the online system could easily be connected to the point of check out, as a parent you could make filter selections based on theme/content/state determined age range etc.  the point of check out scan could easily flag red for parent restricted book.

would this catch 100%, perhaps not, would it be implementable and practical and encourage both school and parent responsibility.  sure would.  is the tool already in existence...sure, all over the place, you try and check out of a supermarket with alcohol and the system stops the process for age verification.

Actually, you're the one who keeps talking about the point of check-out.

I do think the meal system your school already has is an excellent idea, if it were possible to adapt, transfer, and implement the software to the library.

What say you, librarians/IT professionals?

If so, then viewing the materials your child is checking out would be, yes, a workable solution.

"Before the fact" is a whole different story.

To use your grocery store analogy, we're not just talking about booze. We'd be talking about assigning multiple categories to every single item in the store (theme/content/age range), inputting that into a database, and then programming filters.

2011-03-17 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3402477

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
TriAya - 2011-03-17 2:58 PM

Frank in St. Louis - 2011-03-18 4:54 AM Ok. Parent of two in elem school. My solution: Let the library supply the books. When the child comes home, look through the school bag. If you don't approve: explain you don't approve. Remove from childs posession. "But what about the time when the child has already looked at it??! In school... on the bus... etc.?" Oh well. You can't pad the world. At least the kid will be getting an idea of what's expected, appropriate reading material to bring home. Also, explain to the child that if they keep looking at this stuff... don't come crying to me in the middle of the night because you're having bad dreams. You don't want bad dreams? Don't look at it. Kids are smart enough to get that.

No, no, no. That's way too easy. We need to devise a complex, possibly expensive, system whereby the child can never even check out such books in the first place.

What system and what "such books" are, c'mon, that's just details. Really. It's the responsibility of the paid professionals at the school to worry about those. Not yours as the child's parent.

Nice...I'm out. Have a good day everyone!

2011-03-17 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3402498

User image

Melon Presser
bel83 - 2011-03-18 5:08 AM

Leegoocrap - 2011-03-17 12:40 PM Man, I loved the Lion King

The lion King would have been so much better though if it was done with Gecko's instead of Lions - isn't that right Yanti?

This thread has been very interesting to follow and I am glad everyone has kept it civil. very nice to see all the different beliefs and parenting styles bandied about.

NOOOOOOOOOO! You just crossed WAY over the civil line! Take it back!!!

2011-03-17 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3402492

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 3:03 PM
TriAya - 2011-03-17 3:53 PM
dewybuck - 2011-03-18 4:40 AM

You've had two professionals state that there really isn't. What could that "some way" possibly be?

What I am saying is that 1) this technology is not currently available in any library system that I know of. 2) There is no incentive for software companies to create it. The development costs would exceed the potential sales because  3) if one were to create it therr's no gaurantee that any library (remember that we are talking about school libraries here and their limited or dwindling budgets) especially considering that most of these libraries already have invested in the systems they do have.
2011-03-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3402438

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 2:40 PM

As a librarian I would like to say that we deal with this situation over and over again.  I am a public librarian, not a school librarian, but I do know that the school libraries have even stricter guidelines for what they purchase and what they can't.  These guidelines are used to purchase the materials that end up on the shelves.  Even if a book is donated to the library, it must still fall within the guidelines if it is going to be placed on the shelf.

A librarian cannot make the determination what can or can't be read by any individual child (or what can be checked out on their card.)  The books in the library are not set up by grade or age level as that varies wildly.  In any given class you can have children reading at 4 grades above their level, or below.  If you were to set up the library that way, then the child reading below grade level will be made to feel bad because they are choosing books from the 2nd grade level instead of the 4th grade level.  Also, I don't know about the schools by you, but our elementary schools have often 1000 - 1500 students in them.  One librarian cannot keep up with what each child in that school can or can't read.  One librarian can't talk to every student about the choice they made on what book to check out.  Often the class comes in and has about 10-15 minutes for 30 kids to choose a book and get it checked out, so the checkout process is really pretty quick in terms of contact between the student and the person who is doing the checking out (who actually may be a parent volunteer, and don't get me started on confidentiality issues when you have a volunteer making the decision on your child's reading material.)

In addition, the reading interests of the children vary.  And what parents are okay with their children reading varies.  What one parent might find inappropriate for their 3rd grader another may be okay with.

As a librarian, we always say the parent needs to make the decision regarding what their child reads and what they don't read.  We also encourage the parents to read the material first so that they can make an educated decision.  We encourage the parents to talk with their children about what has been read.

As a parent, when I had concern about what my child was reading, I spoke with the child.  Exactly what the original poster did.  Having an honest conversation with your child is going to do more for you than just BANNING materials and not talking about it.

Very well said, I have to say some points here give me some ideas for my discussion with the school.  It also tempers the anger slightly to see things from the other perspective....thank you.

I still think there should have been some way to catch it, and I think it's obvious those books were not appropriate and he should not have been able to take them out, I look forward to talking with the school and seeing what their take on it is.

There was.  And you did "catch it".  And you dealt with it with your son.

Now you want a magical way for the school to know in advance your ( and every other parents ) possible feelings regarding every single book selection and stop the books you think are inappropriate from being selected.  That's what I think you are being silly and overreactive.  A book with a reading level of 9-12 years, is NOT wildly inappropriate for a 7 year old, especially one who is reading above grade level.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. 
2011-03-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3402502

User image

Expert
Broadlands
TriAya - 2011-03-17 4:10 PM

I do think the meal system your school already has is an excellent idea, if it were possible to adapt, transfer, and implement the software to the library.

If so, then viewing the materials your child is checking out would be, yes, a workable solution.

To use your grocery store analogy, we're not just talking about booze. We'd be talking about assigning multiple categories to every single item in the store (theme/content/age range), inputting that into a database, and then programming filters.

Actually, the data capture is no issue, software exists to do this perhaps manually as they do when checking a book into the library, the storage of that data is very simple, and the filters can be set up easily enough using,, perhaps ODBC via a web based interface interacting with a simple SQL database for each parent to manage their own child's "access rights".  there I just did it for them :-)

2011-03-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3402519

User image

Expert
Broadlands
coredump - 2011-03-17 4:18 PM
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 2:40 PM

There was.  And you did "catch it".  And you dealt with it with your son.

Now you want a magical way for the school to know in advance your ( and every other parents ) possible feelings regarding every single book selection and stop the books you think are inappropriate from being selected.  That's what I think you are being silly and overreactive.  A book with a reading level of 9-12 years, is NOT wildly inappropriate for a 7 year old, especially one who is reading above grade level.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. 

1. I would not have caught it had he not brought the book home and instead read it in school.

2. I have not been called "silly" for a very long time.  that made me chuckle :-)

ETA: just because my son reads above grade level and can comprehend what is in the material he reads, it does not mean he has the emotional maturity to deal certain subjects.  I'm sorry, I think this book is wildly inappropriate for a 7 year old.

Edited by dewybuck 2011-03-17 3:43 PM

2011-03-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3402502

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
TriAya - 2011-03-17 3:10 PM [

The grocery store analogy really doesn't work here. There is a huge difference between the standard database record for a book (MARC, established in the 1960's) and the record for a bottle of vodka. I don't know much about grocery databases, but I can tell youu that the records for books are nowhere near granular enough for the kind of filtering that's being discussed here.

Here is the record (in its raw form) of the book in question
LEADER 00000cam 2200385Ia 4500 001 23729458 003 
OCoLC 005 20100715013803.0 008 910510s1981 nyua j b 000 1 eng d
010 |z80008728 020 0397319274 020 9780397319275
035 (OCoLC)23729458|z(OCoLC)25726257|z(OCoLC)36585430
040 OCO|cOCO|dORO|dMLA|dOCL|dIXA|dOCLCQ|dBAKER|dXY4|dOCLCG |dKZH|dYDXCP|dVHC
043 n-us---
049 VHCJ
050 00 PZ8.1.S399|bSc 1981
100 1 Schwartz, Alvin,|d1927-
245 10 Scary stories to tell in the dark /|ccollected from American folklore by Alvin Schwartz ;
with drawings by Stephen Gammell
260 New York, N.Y. :|bHarperCollins,|cc1981
300 viii, 111 p. :|bill. ;|c24 cm
504 Includes bibliographical references (p. 105-110)
505 0 "AAAAAAAAAAAH!" : the big toe -- The walk -- "What do you come for?" --
Me tie dough-ty -- Walker! -- A man who lived in Leeds
-- Old woman all skin and bone -- He heard footsteps coming up the cellar stairs : The thing
-- Cold as clay -- The white wolf -- The haunted house -- The guests
-- They eat your eyes, they eat your nose : The hearse song
-- The girl who stood on a grave -- A new horse -- Alligators -- Room for one more --
The wendigo -- The dead man's brains -- "May I carry your basket?"
-- Other dangers : The hook -- The white satin evening gown - - High beams --
The babysitter -- "AAAAAAAAAAAH!" : The viper -- The attic -- The slithery-dee --
Aaron Kelly's bones -- Wait till Martin comes -- The ghost with the bloody fingers
520 Stories of ghosts and witches, "jump" stories, scary songs, and modern-day scary stories
650 0 Ghost stories, American|vJuvenile literature
650 0 Tales|zUnited States|vJuvenile literature
650 0 Folklore|zUnited States|vJuvenile literature
700 1 Gammell, Stephen

This is the record that the majority of libraries in the country (maybe the world)
are using to catalog this book.
The codes for age range are thus:
22 - Target audience (006/05)
# - Unknown or not specified
a - Preschool
b - Primary
c - Pre-adolescent
d - Adolescent
e - Adult
f - Specialized
g - General
j - Juvenile
| - No attempt to code
That's all the library software has to go on.

Edited by ride_like_u_stole_it 2011-03-17 3:27 PM
2011-03-17 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3401821

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You could make it like Netflix. The parent creates and organizes the "queue" the child gets to check out from said queue. The only problem left would be how to communicate the queue's contents to the child so they pick out a book that they will be able to check out. I suppose that could be left to the parent.

I still think that if the book wasn't there in the first place this wouldn't be a problem. "Scary Stories" doesn't seem to hold much educational value to me, and it is obviously controversial as noted earlier. I don't have kids but I don't like my tax payer dollars going to books that are not educational. Now who decides what is "educational" is of course a whole 'nother thread. But I am reasonably sure "Scary Stories" wouldn't make the cut.

Yes I read the arguments about "some kids won't read educational books" well then there is a really spiffy thing called a public library. The parent of the child who will only read fiction with gory images can feel free to take their kid to the public library and check them out whatever book they want.

I would be much more comfortable knowing the school library only contained strictly educational books. Perhaps the kids won't like it as much, but perhaps we should expect a little more out of the kids rather than taking everyone down to the lowest denominator of the child who will only read fiction.

2011-03-17 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3402521

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 3:18 PM

Actually, the data capture is no issue, software exists to do this perhaps manually as they do when checking a book into the library, the storage of that data is very simple, and the filters can be set up easily enough using,, perhaps ODBC via a web based interface interacting with a simple SQL database for each parent to manage their own child's "access rights".  there I just did it for them :-)

Good luck with that. If it were that easy, and market-worthy, library software companies would have already developed it. But don't worry, this isn't the first time a would-be programmer/software designer failed to understand the complexity of library systems and limitations of the marketplace for them.
2011-03-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3402552

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-17 3:31 PM

You could make it like Netflix. The parent creates and organizes the "queue" the child gets to check out from said queue. The only problem left would be how to communicate the queue's contents to the child so they pick out a book that they will be able to check out. I suppose that could be left to the parent.

I still think that if the book wasn't there in the first place this wouldn't be a problem. "Scary Stories" doesn't seem to hold much educational value to me, and it is obviously controversial as noted earlier. I don't have kids but I don't like my tax payer dollars going to books that are not educational. Now who decides what is "educational" is of course a whole 'nother thread. But I am reasonably sure "Scary Stories" wouldn't make the cut.

Yes I read the arguments about "some kids won't read educational books" well then there is a really spiffy thing called a public library. The parent of the child who will only read fiction with gory images can feel free to take their kid to the public library and check them out whatever book they want.

I would be much more comfortable knowing the school library only contained strictly educational books. Perhaps the kids won't like it as much, but perhaps we should expect a little more out of the kids rather than taking everyone down to the lowest denominator of the child who will only read fiction.

So, the child would have absolutely no creative choice in what books they wanted to read? Sad.
And also, there would be nothing in the school library but textbooks and encyclopedias? Sadder.

Talk about stifling a child and steering them away from reading/learning.

2011-03-17 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
I contend that the existing system is not broken and does not need to be corrected. Some parent is always going to have some objection to some book their child gets a hold of for some reason or another. That will continue to happen no matter how much time, effort, and money we throw at the "problem".

2011-03-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3402553

User image

Expert
Broadlands
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2011-03-17 4:31 PM
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 3:18 PM

Good luck with that. If it were that easy, and market-worthy, library software companies would have already developed it. But don't worry, this isn't the first time a would-be programmer/software designer failed to understand the complexity of library systems and limitations of the marketplace for them.

Sorry, I didn't red ink it, but I did add a smiley face....would be programmer/SW developer, I don't think so but nice assumption.

Here's one from me....

What you're saying is if no-one has thought of it and developed it already it's not viable....if it's a simple solution.  I'm not so sure.

2011-03-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3402557

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
lisac957 - 2011-03-17 2:34 PM

So, the child would have absolutely no creative choice in what books they wanted to read? Sad.
And also, there would be nothing in the school library but textbooks and encyclopedias? Sadder.

Never said the parent had to lock their child in the closet while they decide on what goes in the queue. Heck if it were my kid I would let them create their own queue then I would approve it.

Apparently you missed my point about the definition of "educational book" as well, I never limited it to encyclopedias. It just didn't include the particular book in question.

Sorry but nothing I said would "steer a child away from learning". What it does is to keep the responsibility where it belongs, with the parent. It would give the parent the tools to control the situation when need be, rather than the school controlling the situation.

2011-03-17 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3402567

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-17 3:40 PM

Never said the parent had to lock their child in the closet while they decide on what goes in the queue. Heck if it were my kid I would let them create their own queue then I would approve it.

Apparently you missed my point about the definition of "educational book" as well, I never limited it to encyclopedias. It just didn't include the particular book in question.

Sorry but nothing I said would "steer a child away from learning". What it does is to keep the responsibility where it belongs, with the parent. It would give the parent the tools to control the situation when need be, rather than the school controlling the situation.

Oh okay, cause I could swear up there it says "the parent creates and organizes the queue..."

You're right about the definition of "educational books"... but I don't see why a "scary story" book would be any different than a "Nancy Drew" book (dating myself here)... it's all labeled "fiction" and I don't see how you can feasibly filter one form over another.

2011-03-17 3:47 PM

User image

MotoQueen

Okay, regarding the software that a library has to catalog and check out materials. 

As someone mentioned earlier, the libraries do not have a lot of choices, as the vendors do not make a lot of money off of library systems.  Thus what is offered to us is often limited and we spend years telling them how we would like to upgrade or customize for our own systems.  Yeah, each library seems to have their own customizations that they want which is totally different from what another library would want.  It took several years before we could get our vendor to modify the system to limit a childs card to just Juv and easy materials in the public library.  The parent makes the decision now as to whether or not they want their childs card to be limited to that materials, and guess what.  More than 50% of the parents say the child can have unlimited access to what is in the collection.  Easier to do that here because usually the child is not here without the parent.  But even if the child is limited to J & E, they have access to all the material in the area for the reasons I stated earlier.  Not every child reads at the same level so it is hard to make the appropriate level determination.  Also, not every paren objects to the material that you may find offensive.  And they might find something offensive that you feel is appropriate.

There are children in our school systems here whos parent made the choice that their child cann't use the school library.  They cannot go to the reading time at the library with the rest of their class.  Instead they either stay in a neighboring classroom or the school office while the rest of their schoolmates are in the library choosing books. 

I saw mention of the cafeteria plan earlier, but I noticed that you also mentioned that when your child chose the choc milk and the icecream in the same day you knew.  They were not stopped from making those purchases even though you had discusse your childs options with him, but you were made aware that they were purchased, right?  Of course, they are spending your money in the cafeteria, so you do have a right to know where your money is going.  So the system in place does not stop him, only makes you aware of the purchases.  So, a solution similar to this would be to have the school library catalog available online to the parents and allow the parents to have access to their students card and be able to see what has been checked out.  That way, if he checks out the book, but keeps it in his desk because he knows his parent would not approve, you would know because you are online everyday checking up on him.  Most library systems are set up to erase from the account the book once it is checked in.  The library is not Big Brother.  The library is a vessel in which to share knowledge among the masses and to allow people to read for recreational use along with educational.

2011-03-17 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

OK, I am out for the night, I really appreciate the thoughts from everyone.

if you agreed with my take on the situation then you were correct, well done.

if you challenged my take or in any way had a differing view you were wildly, inappropriately and very very wrong.

Seriously though, I thank everyone so far for raising some good points and discussing them civilly...

night all.

2011-03-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3402552

User image

MotoQueen

I hate to tell you, but many parents do not take their kids to the public library.  Our school system has over 150K students in it and we only manage to get 30K involved in summer reading.  Of that 30K, I would say that 15% is the preschool crowd.  There are so many students who are never introduced to the public library.  It is really a sad thing. 

2011-03-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3402576

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
lisac957 - 2011-03-17 2:45 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-17 3:40 PM

Oh okay, cause I could swear up there it says "the parent creates and organizes the queue..."

You're right about the definition of "educational books"... but I don't see why a "scary story" book would be any different than a "Nancy Drew" book (dating myself here)... it's all labeled "fiction" and I don't see how you can feasibly filter one form over another.

Creates means they set up the account online. Organizes means they assign accounts for each of their kids. So there... I never said who picks the books. :P

2011-03-17 6:37 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

The talk with your son was a good idea.  The images are scary.

But I would oppose a parent hovering over every reading choice a child makes -- especially once the child is past the 4th grade or so (yes, older than your son.)  I truly believe that my lifelong love of reading stems in part from the fact that nobody ever told me what to read or what not to read.  If I chose books that were over my head --or, alternately, "too easy," just for fun-- well, so be it.  If I was disturbed by something I read, I either learned something from it (e.g., the rape of Kizzy in Roots) or did not select that kind of literature again (e.g., the one Stephen King novel I ever read.)  It was just part of my learning and development.

2011-03-17 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

As a kid I loved to read. I read so much that I got in trouble for not doing other stuff besides reading. One time when I was younger, I read a scary book. It scared the crap out of me. I never read another scary book after that. The end.

Seems like a valuable lesson.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  

of 6