General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegas Long Run Route Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-19 2:36 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: Vegas Long Run Route Help

You probably get tired of all the "hey I'm coming to Vegas" questions but......, Hey I'll be travelling from Japan to Las Vegas for my brother's wedding.  I'm being honest with myself with my schedule so I'm only stressing about the running.  If I can't miss a few swims and bikes by now there's no help for me, but I'll be in the final weeks of IM training and I need to knock out about a 3 hour run.  Depending on how tired I am from the flight I should be doing around20 miles. 

Is there a good direction to start off running from the Wynn Hotel area or anywhere that I can quickly drive to start?  I don't want to miss any festivities so I don't want to spend too much time driving somewhere.  I don't want to get lost either

One other question, anywhere you can recommend to get some new jammers?  Mine are dying and having them shipped to Okinawa to try on and send back is a pain.

Hopefully I won't be glowing from my layover in Tokyo, but if I am and you see me, stop and say hi!

Thanks for your help.

Chris

2011-03-19 11:09 PM
in reply to: #3404455

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Vegas Long Run Route Help

If you want to stay close to the hotel/strip, head South down Las Vegas Blvd. Depending on your tolerence for people and traffic you could start at the Wynn, or for a more open run take the shuttle/tram/whatever and start at the Mandalay Bay. You can then run south on Las Vegas Blvd as far as you want. If you want to drive a little farther to the start head to the 'M' resort parking lot first.

If you've got a bit more time, head out to Red Rock, park at the entrance and run the loop backwards (head up the road towards the exit). Well worth the time and very scenic. The entire loop and then back to the parking area would be ~16 miles with some nice hills.

Todd

2011-03-20 12:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

Hey Chris, 

You didn't say if you had access to a vehicle.  The Red Rock suggestion is great.  That is where most of us in the northwest ride and run, but you are almost an equal distance to Lake Mead, (in the shadow of the Hoover Dam), where you can OWS, bike, or run in the park.

Look up Swim 2000, no too far off the strip for your jammers andother gear.  They have good prices and are very friendly.  Tell them you are a triathlete and ask for a discount.

If you want a group to run with, look up the Red Rock Running Company.  They have a group run every Wednesday at 5:30 and love visitors.

Also if you want to rent a bike while in town, Pro Cyclery, or Las Vegas Cyclery both have great deals.  We have many cycling clubs in town, so feel free to contact us to ride along.  bikinglasvegas.com has all the rides scheduled.

2011-03-20 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Thanks for the tips on places to run and shop.  It's a huge help. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegas Long Run Route Help Rss Feed