General Discussion Race Reports! » Seabrook Lucky Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Seabrook Lucky Trail Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seabrook, Texas
United States
Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon Weekend
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 3s
Overall Rank = 66/542
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 16/68
Pre-race routine:

I live about an hour and a half from the race site, so an early morning drive is my routine and warm-up all rolled into one. Left the house about 5:00, and got there in pleanty of time to pick up the chip and stand in line for the outhouse.
Run
  • 1h 49m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Day 1 of the Pelican Challenge (half marathons on both Saturday and Sunday) turned out to be a good day. My plan was to have a good hard run on Saturday, and an easy jog on Sunday. So far so good!

I lined up in the middle of the pack at the start line. I figure this error cost me a couple of minutes, as the pack to quite a while to thin out and passing on this course is fairly difficult due to congestion and two-way traffic. First few miles were all 9-min+. At the start of the second lap, I picked up the pace and ran most of this lap at 8-min miles. Aid stations were great....pleanty of volunteers and cups were big and full compared to a lot of races.

Trails are good footings and pancake flat. They're actually fairly scenic. You run along several bayous, and one of the turn-arounds is right on the edge of the bay.

In terms of overall effort, I'd give this an 8 out of 10.

What would you do differently?:

1. Start further forward.
2. Pick up the pace earlier.
3. My garmin filled it's lap buffer durring this race and got so annoying with beeps and buzzes, I turned it off around mile 11.5. Clear laps prior to racing!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I figure this race was a few minutes slower than my potential. With more work, I should be able to get this distance down into the low 1:40's.

Event comments:

This race is just what it claims to be.....a small, well organized trail run on easy, flat, scenic trails. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Last updated: 2011-02-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:03 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 0/542
Performance: Good
Course: The Seabrook Lucky Trail Half Marathon is a two loop course held on the Seabrook nature trails, surrounded by a diverse habitat of both fresh and salt marsh, the coastline of the Galveston Bay, wetlands, and wild-life and bird sanctuaries. The course consists of crushed granite surface. The race starts on about a mile of road before it hits the trails. The trails are wide enough for 2 or 3 to run side by sise, but sometimes there's two way traffice due to out-and-backs. This race is billed as a trail run, but trails are wide, gentle, and non-technical. No roots, rocks, or tight turns on this course. I'd rate it a 1 (from 1 to 10) in terms of difficulty.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes