Overall Rank = 3865/10190
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 448/763
Pre-race routine:

NYC Half
Race Statistics

Distance: 13.1 Miles, 21.1 Kilometers
Date/Time: March 20, 2011, 7:30 AM
Weather: 37 degrees, 41% humidity, wind 12 mph.

Woke up around 4am. Had a bagel with peanut butter and water around 4:30. Showered and took the train uptown around 5 to the start. I think I was the first one there. I overestimated how long it would take to get there and the crowds. It was freezing out too. I was literally shaking from the coldness. I was there by 6am so I had an hour and a half to kill. Wore shorts, a long sleeve wicking shirt, and gloves.

Event warmup:

Herded into the corrals around 7. Feet and legs were starting to become frozen waiting around.
Run
  • 1h 54m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. I was using the garmin 310xt and was trying to keep my pace at around 8:30. I did that quite well the first 8 miles in central park. Once I left the park and hit times square around mile 9 and 10 I started slowing. Slowly down to like a 9:00 - 9:15 pace. Fastest mile was 8:10. My goal time was 2:00:00 which I easily passed. Nutrition wise just ate one package of clif shot bloks. No water.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a throw away hoodie or long pants before the race to stay warm. Some people even had garbage bags on. Was quite comfortable when I started running and was not overally cold or warm. The waiting was the worst. My thighs and hamstrings started cramping up.

Next HM I would try a different plan. Used Hal Higdons novice HM plan and the longest run was just last week and only 10 miles. Supposedly all the adrenaline should pull you the last 3.1 miles. Would of liked to finish strong. Will have to do longer runs next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the hotel 3 blocks away and showered and ate some food.

Event comments:

Nice venue for sure. Pre-race expo was about 10 stands mostly local run shops. Swag included a nice wicking tee, stretch band, popcorn, and some soap. Race was on time, well marked, enough refreshments, and plenty of volunteers. Post race included a bag of pretzels, apple, and water. Also some live music. Most people just left after the race.

If you are staying in the city for this race for one night. Stay downtown world trade center area near the finish. Nice hotels close to the finish. There is a train station 2-3 blocks from the hotels that takes you straight to 96th street. After you should be done by like 10 and in your hotel room and able to shower and everything before noon checkout. Worked out really well.

Also if you are carb loading try The Halal Cart on the SW corner 53rd and 6th ave across from the hilton. Really good food and cheap ($6). Got the chicken platter with lots of white sauce. Go after 7pm though for the real cart, not the fake one before.

Last updated: 2010-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 448/763
Overall: 0/10190
Performance: Good
5k Split - 27:01 10k Split - 53:36 15k Split - 1:20:07 20k Split - 1:47:57 Pace/Mile - 8:44
Course: I was expecting it to be hilly from what I read about the course but in central park its very small rolling hills and then once out of central park straight flat. Crowds were the south part of central park where you pass twice, times square, and the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-20 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: New York City Half Marathon

2011-03-20 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3405572

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: New York City Half Marathon
2011-03-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3405572

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: New York City Half Marathon
Congratulations on surpassing your goals!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Half Marathon Rss Feed