FSS
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 45s
Overall Rank = 941/2299
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 87/150
Pre-race routine:

Gear all set out the night before. Ate a couple of bananas and filled my coffee canister. Gathered the kids and hit the road at 0540. Got to the parking area at 0600. Got on bus at about 0700 and arrived at the site at 0715.
Event warmup:

None. Got off the bus, took the sweats off, and headed to the woods to get rid of some coffee. Made it to the start corral in time for the National Anthem and then we started at about 0720.
Run
  • 2h 00m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept a pretty good pace the whole race. Thought I'd might "blow up" with my HR at 170 and rising mid way through the race. But my breathing was good and the legs felt ok so I kept on. Did not walk at all and can honestly say that I left it all on the course.
Pace at 4.5 mark was 9:08, for the race it was 9:14.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Maybe should have arrived at the satelite parking lot a little earlier since there were so many people. Had to wait about an hour for the shuttle bus and once we got off the bus, had literly minutes before the gun. They were already delayed 20 minutes and there were still several hundred people that were behind us waiting for a bus. Never seen so many peple peeing openly in the woods, men women alike. Anyway, was not able to work my way up to the 2:00 hour pace setter but did catch the 2:10 and made sure I stayed ahead of her.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my medal and bottle of water and went looking for the kids. They actully found me. Got out of my damp shirt and vest and put on the hoodie. Made our way to the refreshments for bananas and pizza. Found the beer garden for a nice IPA. Legs were tightening up so decided to get a massage. Had to wait about 15 minutes but it was worth it as Lal from Athletic Edge gave me a great 20 minute massage - thanks Lal! Once done we wandered around for a bit before finding where the shuttle bus pick up area was. Walked to the other side of the complex and then waited for about an hour and a half before we got on a bus! Not a good way to end what was a pretty good day to that point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

215 pounds!

Event comments:

The logistics of getting people to and from the race was a disaster. Waiting over 2 and a half hours to get to and from the race was ridiculous.

Last updated: 2010-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:45 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 194/150
Overall: 940/2299
Performance: Good
Mile 4: 0:38:21 HR: 164 Mile 6: 0:57:33 HR: 169 Mile 7: 1:06:02 HR: 169 Mile 8: 1:15:15 HR: 172 Mile 10: 1:33:19 HR: 174 Mile 12: 1:51:27 HR: 176
Course: Gradual elevation changes, but no hills to speak of. First 3 miles on the road then onto the Tobacco Trail for about 7, then the last 3 on the road again. It was pretty cool out, especially on the way back when we were on the road with the breeze. Overall, it was an enjoyable run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2011-03-20 2:58 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Tobacco Road Half Marathon

2011-03-20 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3405626

User image

Kingsland, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tobacco Road Half Marathon
Great job Rich!  Way below your goal time!!!  Congratulations on your first half marathon... sorry Rachel couldn't run it with you, and too bad about the race logistics.  Not a good way to end a race by waiting for the bus for an hour and a half.  But awesome race!  -kev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tobacco Road Half Marathon Rss Feed