United States
Special Events Management
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 8s
Overall Rank = 118/847
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/128
Pre-race routine:

Ate a piece of peanut butter toast w/a banana.
Event warmup:

Half-mile walk from the bus stop to the start line. Did some stretching, went to the bathroom.
Run
  • 39m 8s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran this race with my hubby. Long line at the port-a-potties, just made it into the starting corral before the race! The 8k and the 5k ran about the first 1.5 miles together, then the 8k had about a mile solo, then joined up for about a half mile, then about another 1.5 miles just the 8k, then the last half mile together. So the beginning and the second part was a little tough, having to weave through a lot of people. But, that's what makes a road race just that. I'm unable to recall exactly what happened in this race, except for some bits and pieces. I was super paranoid that my first mile was too slow with the crowded beginning, and I couldn't find the 1 mile marker. I knew where the 2 mile marker was, and when I hit that I was right on pace. There was a 2.5 stretch that was straight into the wind. I tried to run behind this guy so that he would block the wind off the lake, but it didn't work out so I passed him up and continued to run my race. About the last half mile I was right on the tail of this guy. I stuck with him for awhile, but then he kicked it up and I did too until the finish. The second, literally, that I crossed the finish line it started to rain.
What would you do differently?:

I could have started my finishing kick earlier. I didn't feel like I was dying at the end of the race, so I could have pushed a little harder? Although, this time is a PR for me, so I still did a good job.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my husband, who also ran well (although I beat him!). Drank a Guinness. Did some stretching. Walked back to the bus.

Event comments:

Pretty well organized, but I suggest that the organizers encourage any walkers to start toward the end, and also to walk on the side of the course - not in the middle. It was difficult at times weaving through people. But, I think the organizers kept the participants to a good number - maybe a little too much, but I've run races that were WAY more crowded (Hot chocolate - total mess). I'd run this again.

Last updated: 2011-02-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:08 | 04.97 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 0/847
Performance: Good
Course: 5 miles on the lakefront path. About half of the course was shared with the 5k race.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?