Guerneville / Windsor, CA
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 45m 19s
Overall Rank = 67/156
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

driving up from the SF Peninsula to Santa Rosa, picking up the packet, dropping off the running gear at T2 (the Vineman is a race with 2 transition areas 15 miles apart) moving on to the hotel in Guerneville and checking in took all of the afternoon and most of the evening. there wasn't any time left for anything else. we had mexican takeout for dinner and crashed at 10PM.
Event warmup:

rode the bike from the hotel (which is about 1/2 mile from Johnson Beach, the location of the swim) and treading water for about 1/2 min.
Swim
  • 1h 12m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

i love open water swimming. the Russian River hardly deserves to be called 'open water' - it is so confined, but i still loved every minute of the swim. i didn't mind the murkiness (it gave good opportunity to practice drafting by following the bubble path) or the crowded conditions at all. i'm not a fast swimmer, it's just that i feel completely at ease in open water. i'd probably do much worse in a pool race.
What would you do differently?:

nothing i can think of.
Transition 1
  • 06m 56s
Comments:

the transition area is on dirty sand. there was a carpet path around it but not between the racks. a muddy affair.

bring a large towel to change on and a small one to dry my feet and head with.
Bike
  • 7h 27m 25s
  • 0 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

about 15 miles into the course is where my troubles began. my kidneys went into overdrive. i have no idea what caused it - i even forced myself to pee into my wet suit during the last K of the swim in order to avoid having to get off the bike right away. i had to whizz 7 times in all - 5 times at a porta-potty, 1 time at a bar where i got yelled at for not taking off my bike shoes and once on the road side - grounds for disqualification, but i didn't care at that time. yes i know, too much info. let's move on.

from about mile 70 on it was all in balance again. by that time i must've passed some people at least 4 times and was getting some strange looks.

it was at mile 80 where the real Ironman began for me. flat rear tire. there was no Bang! or Pffffft. now this wasn't supposed to happen. i had my kevlar armadillo tires on my wheels and in more than 2000 miles of riding i had never had a flat with them, so maybe the valve stem had started leaking. ok, no big deal. i had a spare tube and all the tools. or so i thought...

my tire levers were gone. somehow my seat pack had opened somewhere along the ride or the transport and they had slipped out. after a few minutes of panic i went up to the road and started yelling 'tire lever?' at the bikers. at that point in the race there were still plenty people passing by. right away somebody stopped, tossed me one - 'keep it!'. god bless the triathlete's helpful nature!

i was on my way again shortly after. i had only lost about 10 minutes by then. i was on Airport Blvd, the final stretch of the bike segment when i noticed i had the second flat. rear tire again. and again, no sound. after i was done with my mental cursing (ok, it wasn't all mental) i realized that there had to be something stuck in the tire that caused the flats. i had checked before and found nothing. this time i took the tire surface between my thumb and forefinger, pressed down really hard and dragged the surface through my fingers, so i wouldn't miss anything for sure. and there it was. a piece of wire, about 1mm long was completely buried in the kevlar. it would have caused a race tire to blow up immediately, but the thickness of the Armadillo protected the tube from it unless, i figured, i hit a bump at that exact spot. i dug it out of the tire.

after that, there was nothing i could do but walk along the road and hope that yet another racer would be kind enough to stop and this time provide me with an inner tube. after about 5 min or so of walking i got lucky. another good samaritan.

it was a tube with a short stemmed valve but it had to do. just pump it up a bit more before it goes into the tire. well, it wasn't quite as easy as i thought it would be, but i managed. i was ready to ride again. get on the bike - BANG!!!! tire exploded right at the valve.

riding on the tire without pressure had somehow damaged the tire hook in that place. there was a rip there and the tube had bulged out. as i sat on the bike it got cut.

i have to admit that my mind went pretty blank then. i just didn't know how to deal with it. i wasn't ready to quit and yet it looked like my race was over. so i sat down at the side of the road and thought about what i could do. i decided on walking my bike to the next police officer guarding an intersection, asking them to watch my bike and hoof it to T2. i didn't even know whether showing up without a bike would disqualify me, but i didn't care.
while walking i'd hope for yet another person to give me a spare tube, put it in and pump up the tire to a very careful 30 psi or so.

off i went along the dirty Airport Blvd. i crossed highway 101, got screamed at by motorists, got thirsty and really, really depressed. then another racer stopped and asked if he could help. and yes, he had a spare tube for me.

(i could kick myself now that i didn't ask all the people who helped me out for their names. i really want to thank them all in person, and now i can't. my brain was just not working right. see below)

i thanked the guy and started to take the rear wheel off again. now take off the tire - where's the tire lever? for that matter, where's the pump? gone. i must have left them behind when that last tube exploded. i had a not so brief moment again where i had to fight the urge just to give up. then i put the wheel on again and walked back.

i didn't find the tire lever nor the pump. so it was back to finding a cop and leaving the bike with him or her. i crossed 101 for the 3 time.

then there was a van next to me honking and yelling. i was ready to lift my middle finger to indicate that i wasn't in any mood to discuss why i was walking along this busy road. good thing i didn't - it was a lady from the race committee on her way to pick up somebody who'd had even worse luck than i somewhere on the run. she asked if i needed a ride - i asked if she had a bike pump and yes - she did.

i'll cut this short now. i somehow managed to strip the tire off the wheel with my fingers and put it on again. riding at 30 psi worked. i made it to t2. i got off the bike in turns and when crossing railroad tracks. the tire held and when i put up my bike in the transition area i happened to look down at my Bento box - i had put the tire lever and the pump in there and hadn't been able to remember where i put them less than 10 minutes after i did...

double, triple, quadruple check that ALL the tools are on the bike! carry 2 spare tubes (wouldn't have helped much in this case, but still)

seriously, you tell me - is there anything i could have done to prevent this?

Transition 2
  • 06m 11s

not forget my race belt - again.
Run
  • 3h 52m 45s
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

i went into the run with the determination to kick ass. i knew i had to go all out now or this, my first Ironman, would be my last. it very well still might be...

i had my Garmin 301 with me. it works on this course - there are no completely shaded areas and i never lost the signal.

i had planned on running the whole marathon somewhere around 4:15 or a bit better if i could help it. now i wanted to break 4h. i had a lot of catching up to do in terms hydration. that hour spent along the road fixing my bike had taken a toll.

i stopped at almost every fuel station to pick up something to drink and eat but i never walked. i know it sounds silly, but my addled brain was fixated on finishing the run below 4h, no matter the cost. i somehow thought i could redeem myself that way.

mile 25 approaches and i skip the aids station. i'm going all out now. (all out means that my GPS tells me i'm running at just below 8 min/mile)

i'm approaching the finish and i'm giving it everything i have. my Garmin later told me that my top speed was 6:30 min /mile. i can't feel my legs anymore. there's 2 chutes - one for 1st and 2nd lap, one for finish. i know that. i've gone through here 2 times before. i enter the Finish chute. where's the finish? WHERE's the FINISH? i thought i screamed that. people shout at me that i'm in the wrong chute. cross over!

i finally realize that even though i my mind knew which way to go my body didn't. so i lost another 1/2 minute right at the end.

making a fool out of myself right at the finish almost broke me. it's hard to describe that feeling of humiliation. i guess it was a combination of all that happend on the bike segment and that blur of memory of people pointing at me and laughing right at the finish.

some of you might think i'm not entitled to complain. i'm not complaining. after all, i finished in less than 13h. you'd have to be me to understand. i'm mostly writing this for myself while my memory is still fresh. i'll have to mull this over for a long time.

one bright spot: there was a 73 year old woman trying to do the full Ironman. when i passed her and read the age off her leg i couldn't help but yell at her "you rock!" she gave me a big smile and everytime we passed again on that in and out i waved at her and gave her a thumbs up. what guts!

turns out she didn't finish after all. Bobbi Pollock - you still rock for me...

i'd go even faster. but then, these were special circumstances.
Post race
Warm down:

my friend was there for me. the good thing about this whole event is that she might end up being more than a friend (oh the romance...) she fed me chicken soup and gave me her sweater (now a seam is bust) she listened to my whining and drove me to the hotel, even though she'd done a hard 1/2 IM herself before.

warm down? it's all a blur.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Event comments:

they need more porta-potties. especially on the first half of the bike loop. there was a line of at least five people in front of each one of them.

leave at least a sign, if not a volunteer on every intersection. there were 2 places where i would have had to guess where to go if i hadn't checked out the course before.

don't run out of GU. the people who finish last need it most.

overall, it's not a race recommended for first time Ironman people. i guess now i know why the M-dot races are in such demand.

the volunteers were great. when they were there. it just doesn't feel like you're being watched over during the whole race. i guess that's what the $200 premium for the M-dot races is for.

Last updated: 2005-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 10/30
Overall: 0/156
Performance:
Suit: ironman instinct
Course: it's 2 loops up and down the russian river, which is a rather narrow body of water almost without current due to the Guerneville dam. despite the dam it's possible to stand almost anywhere. some people refer to the swim as the "salmon run" - and that's pretty much what it is. even though the swim course itself is probably as tame as an OW swim can be, the lack of room provides some entertainment, since it pretty much forces you to swim over/under/across other people. my friend, who did Barb's race and had to share the water with the relay people and the AquaBikers had it worse than i did. apparently the relayers can be pretty ruthless - no surprise there, they don't have to save any energy for the bike and run.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:27:25 | 00 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Age Group: 30/30
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: flat to rolling hills through wine country. the road is mostly good, but there are some very rough stretches with potholes that could end your race. it was cool and foggy until about noon. perfect conditions in terms of temperature.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 06:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:52:45 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 12/156
Performance: Good
Course: the course is a triple out and back. some of it is through residential development, most if it through access roads to wineries. there are 3 fairly short but steep hills on every lap. most people don't like multiple laps for the run but i don't care. at least i know what's ahead.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 7:37 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Subject: Vineman

2005-08-15 7:47 PM
in reply to: #225937

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Vineman
Wow, i gotta tell you that was terrifying just to read. I can't comprehend the mental anguish that you experienced. Terrific effort!!
2005-08-15 10:26 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

All that and you still finished the thing and in under 13 hours.  Very cool, and yeah, I know, you probably don't think so right now.

Way to keep going even when things kept going wrong for you.

2005-08-16 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You are an Ironman!!

You accomplished this even though you had many difficult obstacles to overcome. It shows you have excellant mental ability to push through and finish strong. I like how after a horrible bike exp. you even kicked it up a notch and did better than expected on your run.

It is cool how other triathletes were so helpful to you and you connected with the 73 year old women trying to become an Ironman. Sounds like you have a good friend too.

Just think how the next one you do will seem easy when you have no mechanical problems.

You rock!! Super Job!! thanks for sharing with us.

2005-08-16 9:47 PM

Wow, I'm just so impressed at how you toughed it out mentally, and still had enough chutzpah to finish the run in 3:52. Did I say wow??
2005-08-17 12:01 AM

User image

Ft Leavenworth, KS
Best race war story I've heard/read!!

I'm new to all this, but three flat tires, a barehanded tire change, crossing the 101 three times (dangerous enough in a car), and a sub 4:00 marathon - now that's a story your family and friends will just have to get used to hearing!

Way to go Ironman!

Jason

2005-08-17 7:38 PM

Master
portland, or
Very nice. Despite the tire problems you had a great day. Impressive run!

scott
2005-08-17 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Terrific story of perseverence and mental toughness. Nice work. Certainly earned title of Ironman!
2005-08-17 10:04 PM
in reply to: #227686

User image

yaqui - 2005-08-17 5:38 PM

Very nice. Despite the tire problems you had a great day. Impressive run!

scott

yaqui - after i've read your story it all seems so trite. i thank you all for your comments - but now i know how much worse it could've gone.

i wish all of you the best for your upcoming races!
2005-08-18 7:42 PM

User image

Wow.  What an experience.  Very nice work not giving up.  that is exactly what the Ironman race is all about   You must be quite a runner to post a 3:52 after all that. 

Thanks for sharing, it was fun (and educational) to read.

2006-09-18 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
YEOW! I can't believe I missed this when it first happened... What a story! Holy Mother of GOD! See how fast you are? And you can change a tire with no levers. WOW.

2006-09-18 10:19 PM

Elite

Congrats, Ironman.

Way to keep your cool in a tough situation and get to the finish.

2006-09-19 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Killer day.  Awesome marathon!!

Congrats.

Edited by PGoldberger 2006-09-19 8:37 AM
2006-09-19 2:42 PM

User image

Whizzz, you little thread resurrecting devil!

that was more than a year ago!

please comment on this instead!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Rss Feed