Naperville
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/48
Pre-race routine:

Up really early (friggin' 3:30am). Bagel 2 hours before the event. Picked up Ellen and headed to the venue. Got there right after transition opened up, glad we got there when we did because the lines got really long shortly after we arrived. Transition area had racks marked with race numbers. Turns out Ellen was right across from me, which was nice.
Event warmup:

Walked around, hit the porta-potties twice. Put a toe in the water - was very happy to find that it was much warmer than the air temp (which was a cool, overcast 70 degress).
Swim
  • 10m 12s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Probably my best swim ever, which is why my slow time really surprised me. I have been pretty consistently doing 2:05-2:15/100m in races, and so now on the one race where I did absolutely no resting or hanging on to lifeboats, navigated well and felt strong and I'm :20/100m slower? I don't think so. That said - good swim for me. Helped that the ropes were all to my left - since I breathe that way, was able to navigate pretty well and not swim a lot of extra meters.

One note - this swim time put me in the upper half of my age group. First time EVER I wasn't in the bottom 25%.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster. Duh.

Really, gotta start watching my form more. I tend to start breathing too frequently and my legs really start dropping when I race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Very smooth T1. Uneventful and pretty quick. Saw Ellen - was surprised to see her, since I was sure she was ahead of me on the swim.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 28s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike. Took about 2 minutes off the time that I put in for the same course earlier in the year. Felt like I put a lot of effort into the bike, was working pretty hard most of the time.

Stay in aero more. Find a more consistent pace - I have a tendency to push hard, get tired and then slow up. If I could just stick with one pace, I think I'd probably end up faster overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Another good transition. Fast.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Took me about 3/4 mile to get my breathing under control - heart rate was fine, but I was kind of wheezing. Eventually that subsided and I felt like I ran a pretty good race. No mile markers, so not sure of splits, BUT - if this was a true 5k, then I SMASHED my PR for 5k by 1:30. Sub-8 minute miles. And I can tell you - that didn't happen. I've NEVER put even TWO sub-8 minute miles together before in my life.

Nothing. Pretty good run. Would love to know what my true pace was, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found my friend's mom and sister (they missed my finish because they weren't expecting me so soon and were in the bathroom :( ). Then, watched Ellen come in. THEN went for a very tasty breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lose some extra weight, as always. Better swimming skills. More work on the bike.

Event comments:

Event was about 25 minutes late in starting and was disorganized until they got things started. Didn't have the transition area marked well - not until very late in the morning did the signs go up saying Swim/Bike/Run In and Out. Other than that, though, fairly well run. Didn't stick around for post-race activities.

Last updated: 2005-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:12 | 400 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/48
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Tri Shorts and Tyr Tri Top
Course: Backwards 'M' in a big outside pool made to look like a beach. They say 400m - I find it hard to believe that it wasn't longer.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:28 | 13.8 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/48
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops on a closed course. They say 12.4. Funny thing, though, not only did my bike odometer say 13.79, but it's the SAME exact course that I did earlier in the season for another tri and they advertised it as 13.8. So - I'm putting it down as a 13.8 bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:29 | 03.1 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/48
Course: Loop around Centennial Park, through some surrounding neighborhoods. They say it's 3.1 miles, no WAY it was that long.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2005-08-15 8:37 PM
in reply to: #225963

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Laura! You kicked some major butt on all three events! I thought Waukegan was your last race of the year. Decided to throw one more in there, huh?
2005-08-15 9:00 PM
in reply to: #225982

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
bmax - 2005-08-15 8:37 PMNice race Laura! You kicked some major butt on all three events! I thought Waukegan was your last race of the year. Decided to throw one more in there, huh?

Waukegan WAS going to be my last one... but then a friend wanted some company at Naperville... and I cave pretty easily to peer pressure....  well, you know the rest. 
2005-08-16 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
I am in awe of your run time! You are also inspiring me to learn to breathe on my left for the swim. Navigation was a real problem for me in this swim.

I second you on the bike. My odometer told me something over 13, I didn't pay after that point. Reebok recently advertised it as 12.4 (I think), but I know it was advertised higher in the past.
2005-08-16 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Great race! Once again, you proved that you are NOT - "She who swims like brick"!!!!

Nice way to end your tri season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed