Germantown Runs
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 57s
Overall Rank = 279/1269
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 46/134
Pre-race routine:

Laid out most of my gear before I went to bed on Saturday night. Woke up, made breakfast - egg on light toast, bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats w/ skim milk, coffee. Got dressed and out the door by 6:25
Event warmup:

Morning constitutional at the port a john, light stretching, light jogging to get the heart rate up a little bit.
Run
  • 1h 52m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good most of the race. I went out too fast as always, around an 8:15 pace. I tried to slow down my pace, but it was difficult after I had settled into a rhythm. So I decided to hang on to that pace and see what would happen. Turns out I could hold it until about mile 9 or 10. I started to struggle a little then. I started to lose my mental focus, which is frequently an issue for me. I did walk for about 20-25 seconds twice at the last part of the race. At about mile 10 to 10.5 and again at about 12 or so. In the grand scheme of things I can't be too dissapointed because I did post a PR by about 7 minutes and 25 seconds!
What would you do differently?:

Slow my starting pace down some and have a little more left for the end of the race. I wasn't so much trying to negative split as I was wanting to even pace through the race.
Post race
Warm down:

A couple of bottles of water and some grapes. Walked around for a bit and talked with Becky, Mike & Courtney and went to cheer for some other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I performed well overall. If I can continue to drop some more weight I will continue to get faster. My cardiovascular fitness was there for the most part. I need to work on pushing myself mentally when fatigued or not feeling great. More tempo work to hold pace for a long period to let my mind and body know what a specific pace feels like.

Event comments:

For being a city of Germantown run race (instead of an event management company) they do a good job with it. I have enjoyed the race, the post race could be a little more fun.

Last updated: 2011-03-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/134
Overall: 279/1269
Performance: Good
My Garmin said that I actually ran 13.18 at 1:52:58. I may have started and stopped the marks slightly differently than the timing mats. First half of the race was, according to the race results were 55:33 (I thought I was faster when I looked sdown at the Garmin).
Course: Course starts out flat through a neighborhood and then by the second mile goes uphill for about a half mile. After going back downhill from the previous climb it is mostly flat through Germantown afterwards. As you get to the end the course starts a slight uphill and is uphill into the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes