United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 11s
Overall Rank = 432/447
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 48/50
Pre-race routine:

Uh...I don't really have a pre-race routine yet. I just got up, got dressed, tried not to let nerves overtake me and make me throw up. I read another gal's race report for this same tri from a previous year - so I copied what she ate. Peanut butter toast and a banana.
Event warmup:

I just did some light stretching prior to the race, and I also drank a 5 hour energy.

I was just taking in all of the stuff going on. Misty Hyman (Olympic gold medalist) kicked off the swim!

And thanks to all my BT supporters, setting up my transition was pretty quick and painless.
Swim
  • 12m 46s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good on the swim. My arms didn't really start getting sore until I finished 200m. So, I did freestroke for half and breast stroke for half. I actually PASSED someone! I couldn't believe it. Then someone passed me, but by the last 100m I probably could've passed her back because I could tell she was losing steam, but I just kinda hung out behind her since we were almost done.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know - I think for my first tri - I did pretty good on the swim part! Obviously training more would have helped me do better, and maybe helped with the arm fatigue.

AND - a 50m run from the pool to T1 was included in our time - so I'm not sure how long just the swim was.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I used T1 to catch my breath and make sure I had everything on that needed to be on. Our T1 time was split - part of it was clocked from the time we got out of the pool and ran across a line. And then the other part was included in the bike.

Make sure my helmet straps were untwisted and ready to go. I had to unbuckle and rebuckle my helmet 3 times because I could tell it was twisted! Argh.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 6s
  • 8 miles
  • 7.05 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike SUCKED. Oh my gosh I thought I was going to die. I was riding a mountain bike for one - and I think that definitely slowed me down. But I definitely did not spend enough time on the bike. I had no idea what gears I should have been in, so I kept messing with them to see what worked. Even with the adjustments I made to my seat, my sitz bones in my butt were still aching. I think I definitely need a bike fitting.

Since it was an all women's race, they had some guys from a local tri group 'patrolling' to make sure we were all doing OK. I think one of the guys lapped me about 6 times. When I finished my first 4 mile loop, I wanted to cry thinking that I still had to do another loop! haha

My thighs were on fire, my butt hurt, and I wanted to quit. But I didn't.

TRAIN MORE! And figure out what in the heck to do with my gears.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

So, when I got off the bike - I seriously thought my legs were going to collapse underneath me. That feeling was CRAZY. My thighs felt like jello. And I still had to run???

So I took my bike back to my area...and that's when I saw my husband and kids for the first time! Instant motivation came over me! I saw their happy faces, and my kiddos yelling "Go Mommy!"

Flung my helmet off, put my visor on, swung my race number around to the front, and took off to the start of the run.
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

So, it took quite awhile for me to get my legs back after my horrible bike. I was probably about a quarter mile in before I even thought about trying to run. My strategy was to run all out for 60 seconds, and then walk as long as I needed to to regain my breath, rinse and repeat.

There was a gal that during my walking part, she would pass me - and then when I ran again I would pass her. She had been continuously running, as opposed to my run/walk. As we were getting ready to turn on to the track and finish our last half mile, I could tell she was starting to burn out. I had passed her and was on the track, and I turned around to see where she was. I yelled "Come on momma!" (had no idea if she was a mom - don't know why I said that) Her eyes brightened and she came and caught up to me - we jogged the rest of the way together - talking (or panting) about how this was the first triathlon for both of us, how we were so looking forward to finishing and saying that we did it. As we were coming around the last corner before the finish line - my son was trying to run onto the track! It was really cute. But I looked over at my new friend, and I said "Do you think we can sprint it out to the finish?" She said "Sure" - so we took off! And ran as fast as our exhausted bodies could take us over the finish line. It was awesome! They took off our timing chips, we hugged and said congratulations. I never even caught her name. But we did it...together.

Definitely not bring my water bottle with me. I wasn't sure where the water stations were going to be, so I brought it - but it was awkward carrying it and running at the same time. And it had gatorade in it, instead of water - so when the water stations did come up, I wanted actual water so I grabbed a cup. But then I got the sloshing feeling in my belly and it made me feel gross. So, for that short of a run, I definitely don't need to drink that much.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't really warm down - I just walked over to the transition area to pack up. Then my hubby rode my bike with all my stuff back to the truck, and I carried my little guy on my hip while the rest of my kiddos walked behind us.

I got home, ate some lunch, and took a 3 hour nap. HA! Felt like I had been run over by a truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inexperience on the bike for sure.

Event comments:

This was a great first race for me! I rated the course as "just right" because if my butt would have been in better shape for the bike, it would have gone better.

After I got out of the shower this morning, and wiped the fog off the mirror - I looked at myself and thought "I am a triathlete!!!!"

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-11-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:46 | 437 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/50
Overall: 304/447
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot
Course: Serpentine style in a heated pool. Each length was 50m and we had to complete 8 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:06 | 08 miles | 7.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/50
Overall: 442/447
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: 4 mile loop on flat street
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:20 | 02 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/50
Overall: 383/447
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps around a flat street course, and then two laps around a high school track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-21 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: Tri for the Cure

2011-03-21 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3407026

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: Tri for the Cure

Congrats. It is a great feeling to walk back to the car after a race with your family knowing the accomplishment that just took place.

You are right. You are a triathlete.

2011-03-21 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
Congrats on completing your first tri! 
2011-03-21 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

GREAT REPORT!!! I got goosebumps reading it and remembering my first.  I actaully sucked on my bike too - totally under estmated how tired I would be coming out of the water (never practiced a swim-bike brick).

Got a kick out of your new tag line - dork.  Give yourself some time and then pick that next race.  I told my girlfriend after my first not to ask about another one for a few hours since I was hurting so much - needed some time to reconsider.  Now I've signed up for 4 more this summer.

Again - Congratulations!!!!

2011-03-21 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on your race, Crystal. Those anonymous friends you make on the course are the best, right?
2011-03-21 3:06 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Oh man, yeah, like John ... goosebumps and some tears in the eyes ... sniff sniff

and again (toldja it never gets old)

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so awesome. Sniff sniff sniff ... allergies ... it's been incredible to partake of your journey ... and what a well-written race report, too. You did great in the water, and toughed it out on the bike ... gooood giiiiiiiirl ... and just kept pushing it on the run despite bike jello/brick legs!!!

And the triathlon buddy ... funny, you'll never forget each other even though you didn't exchange names. It is very much like you to think of someone else even though you're trying to survive the last leg of your first tri!!!

2011-03-21 4:41 PM

User image

Expert

You are a triathlete! Hopefully through all the blood, sweat and tears you had some fun. It was also a great learning experience for your next race (right?). Doing a race on a mountain bike is a hard thing and you finished so congratulations for that. Now you have the knowledge to work on the things that can make it even better. The run off the bike thing is hard and if you practice it a little, your body will get use to the sensation.

Very nice race report and congratulations on your accomplishment. So what's next?

2011-03-21 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3407552

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
phxphotog - 2011-03-21 3:41 PM

You are a triathlete! Hopefully through all the blood, sweat and tears you had some fun. It was also a great learning experience for your next race (right?). Doing a race on a mountain bike is a hard thing and you finished so congratulations for that. Now you have the knowledge to work on the things that can make it even better. The run off the bike thing is hard and if you practice it a little, your body will get use to the sensation.

Very nice race report and congratulations on your accomplishment. So what's next?

I think Bartlett Lake sprint in October!    It will be my first OWS though, so kinda nervous.  Plus we go out there as a family with our boat, and as I recall, the roads are somewhat hilly.  Haven't done hills before.

2011-03-21 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Nice job! Congrats on your first Tri! Look forward to seeing you at the races this year!  
2011-03-22 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Congrats - you are hooked now, may God have mercy on your soul.  HA HA

This is a great sport, and a great community - just enjoy your time training and your events, and never worry about your results (yeah, right!) and it will be some of the best times of your life!

Regarding nerves, the adrenaline and butterflies never really go away, but the more you race the easier they will be to deal with.

Heck, I volunteered at IM AZ last year and was watching transition before the race (thinking about 2011 and that I would be in the corral not just watching), and I was getting butterflies.

Embrace the excitement!

Great job finishing your first tri!

2011-03-23 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

You are a TRIATHLETE!  I got chocked up when I completed my first and the announcer said those words. 
Congrats to you.  I loved your race report.  Made me go back to my first one and read it again.  I wish I had captured more detail in there like yours.  It's amazing the little things you forget. 
May I recomend a road bike.  Any kind, and budget, but that mountain bike will be the death of your run.  Pat yourself on the back for doing a tri on a mountain bike though, thats tough.

For your next... OWS is better in my opinion, you have the option to swim away from people.  If you are not comfortable being crowded just move away. 

Very happy for you.  Hope to see you out there one day.  Think about Tempe Int'l.  Thats a pretty good one.

2011-03-25 12:57 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Good job on your first race.  Now get out there and get training for the next one. 
2011-03-26 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
awesom congrats! and still have the strentgh to hold the kid after, Moms are amazing...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for the Cure Rss Feed