General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIT Triathlon, Siesta Key Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-22 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: FIT Triathlon, Siesta Key
Looking at registering for the Olympic. Anyone have any personal experience from this one? 

2011-03-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3409027

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: FIT Triathlon, Siesta Key
I did the sprint last year and thought it was a really well run race.  The swim is a loop from south to north then back, the bike was a single loop of the island (2 loops for the OLY) and the run was on sidewalks and the edge of the road (NO BEACH RUNNING).  There are several tris on Siesta Key every year, so people are used to races taking place.  I'm still debating on which one to do this year.  I am doing St. Anthony's on the 1st as my first OLY and don't know yet how I will respond to that distance.  I tend to recover slowly after hard efforts. 
2011-03-22 3:40 PM

User image

New user
CW pretty well nailed it.  It's a nice venue and well run.  The water is super nice.  They have a decent post-race party and free beer, so that's always good.  
2011-03-22 3:42 PM

User image

Regular

Awesome. I was fairly sure I was going to register for this one before, but the reviews definitely help. 

Is this a no-wetsuit race?

2011-03-22 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3409093

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Suss - 2011-03-22 4:42 PM

Awesome. I was fairly sure I was going to register for this one before, but the reviews definitely help. 

Is this a no-wetsuit race?

Not wetsuit legal last year and we've had a much warmer winter this year.
2011-03-23 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
was my first oly last year, really wanted to do it htis year but just found out I have a bachelor party and wont be able to, kind of sad as I wanted to see how I improved...

2011-03-23 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Well I did my first a couple weeks ago and I'm looking for a bigger race for the second. Never done an OWS in the ocean though, a little hesitant about the swim without a wetsuit.
2011-03-23 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3410111

User image

Expert
Suss - 2011-03-23 9:29 AM Well I did my first a couple weeks ago and I'm looking for a bigger race for the second. Never done an OWS in the ocean though, a little hesitant about the swim without a wetsuit.
wear a wetsuit then you just wont get an award
2011-03-23 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
No award? Where's the fun in that?
2011-03-23 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
I guess you didn't read the part about free beer
2011-03-23 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Tampa
Did the oly distance last year and it was so much FUN. Absolutely doing it again this year. Definitely not wetsuit legal. Suss, you should go do a few open water swims with Tri Floyd (google that) at the Courtney Campbell Causeway prior to the tri and you will see how comfortable you get right away in the open water. He does them every Wednesday at 5:30pm.  It helped me A LOT.

2011-03-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3410305

User image

Regular

KCinTampa - 2011-03-23 10:37 AM Did the oly distance last year and it was so much FUN. Absolutely doing it again this year. Definitely not wetsuit legal. Suss, you should go do a few open water swims with Tri Floyd (google that) at the Courtney Campbell Causeway prior to the tri and you will see how comfortable you get right away in the open water. He does them every Wednesday at 5:30pm.  It helped me A LOT.

KC, if I had the money to spare I would most DEFINITELY go the coach route. Or can I just tag onto a group?

I'll definitely head to the beach sometime soon and get myself swimming though. I did great on my first OWS in a suit on a lake, so I'm more apprehensive than anything about how it'll feel bouyancy/wave-wise.

2011-03-23 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Did the Olympic last year.  Well run, fun race.  You will enjoy it!!
2011-03-24 6:25 AM

User image

Regular
Tampa
Suss, it is not as expensive for the OWS sessions as it is for one on one. Go to www.trifloyd.com and you can see the info for the Wednesday OWS's: $9/session per person or $30/month. With my work schedule, it is rare that I can go often but it was helpful for me, last year, after having been absent from tri's for quite some time.  I felt the same way about the wetsuit until i did an IM distance race last October and HAD to wear one and it was wonderful. Wore it again over the weekend for another race and no prob. You can definitely feel the advantage and if it's legal, why not take the added edge, right?
2011-03-24 6:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
This race is put on by the Sarasota Storm Tri Club and they do a good job.  I've been on the race committee and volunteered in the past.  I'm planning on racing this year.

Siesta Key is a great place to do your first OWS.  The water should be reasonably warm and there's usually little surf. 

The bike course runs through some busy intersections, but police support is always good.

The hardest part for me is the long run through the sand from the water to T1.

Mark
2011-05-15 6:07 AM

New user

For anyone reading this, I did the 2011 Siesta Key FIT and I am not sure I could recommend this race.  The swim is nice, but the OLY/Intl distance is two loop race where traffic becomes a little dangerous. The slower you are the more dangerous it gets.  I was one of the first 20 off the bike and traffic had not gotten too bad, but there were several close calls with autos for others.

The worst part was the beach run.  Deep soft sand or running in water are mostly your choices. Very disorganized on the beach with no chip readers at the turn arounds.  Several people cheated and simply ran part way and turned around.  

It;s really too bad.  The setting is wonderful but the marginally safe bike with a horrendous run kind of ruins the race.  Post race food was far above average.  Results took 1+ days to post which doesn't mean much since who knows how many OLY/Intl distance only ran a 5k.  A race with lots of potential, but most ruined by a poorly thought out run.  If your a runner, find another race.

2011-05-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3499610

User image

New user
dwmmlm - 2011-05-15 7:07 AM

For anyone reading this, I did the 2011 Siesta Key FIT and I am not sure I could recommend this race.  The swim is nice, but the OLY/Intl distance is two loop race where traffic becomes a little dangerous. The slower you are the more dangerous it gets.  I was one of the first 20 off the bike and traffic had not gotten too bad, but there were several close calls with autos for others.

The worst part was the beach run.  Deep soft sand or running in water are mostly your choices. Very disorganized on the beach with no chip readers at the turn arounds.  Several people cheated and simply ran part way and turned around.  

It;s really too bad.  The setting is wonderful but the marginally safe bike with a horrendous run kind of ruins the race.  Post race food was far above average.  Results took 1+ days to post which doesn't mean much since who knows how many OLY/Intl distance only ran a 5k.  A race with lots of potential, but most ruined by a poorly thought out run.  If your a runner, find another race.

DWM, I fully agree on the beach run.  I put my rant on another thread so no need to go on other than to say running on the beach and around, through, over, (whatever you chose always seemed to be the wrong thing) those water pools in the sand is asking for an injury.  I only did the sprint and enjoyed the race.  The cops did a good job at the intersections and the course was easy to navigate, but I was off early so I would have no way of knowing how it was for the Oly and the people that were out longer.  I would say that I would do it again, maybe we will have calmer seas next year, what a swim!  

2011-05-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3499610

Regular
Sarasota, FL

Traffic in Siesta Key Village was a little dangerous on the 2nd loop.  There was a truck double parked and people trying to go around and not letting the bikes go by.

I was surprised that there were just signs at the run turnaround, not even a volunteer.  The beach run was tough with the high water.  I kept my shoes on but my shoes were heavy with all the sand and the water. 

Polly

2011-05-16 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've got mixed feeling because I know most of the race committee and how hard they work to put on this race every year (Disclaimer: I was actually on the committee the first two years).

This year just seemed to be a bit snakebit, with the beach run issues, rough water, traffic, etc.

I think some contributing factors were:

-  Easter was late this year, so some of the snowbirds haven't flown north yet, adding to the congestion

-  The race was on Saturday, rather than Sunday.  Less traffic on Sunday mornings.

-  The water was extraordinarily rough for Siesta Key making the swim difficult.

-  The Oly, followed by the sprint race, ties up the roads for a relatively long period of time.  All of the other races held on 
   Siesta during the year are sprints and only tie up the roads for a relatively short period of time.  When I was on the 
   bike course for the sprint, the Olys were in their second lap.  The cops were blocking intersections for all the riders and
   traffic at the Stickney Pt. intersection (one of only two ways off the island) was backed up at least for for 1/2 to 3/4 mile, 
   if not more.  All those people couldn't have been too happy.

-  All of the other sprint races on Siesta run on the beach, but there's a big difference between running 5K and 10K on 
   sand.  Plus it just happened to be high tide; at low tide there's always a firmed packed strip of sand to run on.  At high
   tide it's all powder.

I'm sure the race committee will do a thorough analysis of what went both right and wrong and will factor that into future events.  I'm a loyal Sarasotan and will certainly continue to support this race.  I hope others will keep an open mind.

But the way, my race was sucky for other reasons.  See my race report for the long version...

Mark 

Edited by RedCorvette 2011-05-16 1:31 PM
2011-05-16 11:18 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Besides the previously mentioned issues, it really ticks me off when a race offers a Clydesdale division but doesn't order 2XL shirts!  Come on, I'm 6'5" 250 lbs. I DO NOT FIT IN AN XL!  When I picked up my packet Saturday morning I was greeted with "We don't have any shirts your size, so here's a cup." That's what I get for not packing a shirt for after the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIT Triathlon, Siesta Key Rss Feed