Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-03-23 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3411227

User image

Veteran
Western NC
Subject: RE: Attacked by Pit Bull

Wow, that's really scary.  I have been chased several times by dogs but not a pitt bull - scary just the same.  I may buy some 'Halt' and keep it in my bento box.  These posts really have me thinking....

Hope you heal quickly and are able to overcome the anxeity I'm sure you will have once you get back on the road.  Hell, I have anxiety now just from reading, can't imagine what you will be going though.

Glad you're OK (relatively speaking, that is).

CJ

2011-03-23 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3409752

User image

New user
Heal quick. Sue make it a public record, tell the papers about it, so others will avoid this family. I'll buy halt or pepper spray soon from this post. Wow 6s threads!  You know thinking about more, it doesn't take much to put something in your front spokes to trip you...hello broken hips, arms, legs, or neck.   My attitude is the "oh so sorry" will never cover the costs of the injury.  Protect ones self first... is it bad to tazer a pitbull?  I'm thinking of the ladies as well to protect themselves from the weirdos out there.
2011-03-23 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
gonwalkabout03 - 2011-03-23 4:33 PM

Wow. . .that sucks.  I hope you fully recover soon.

My Rhodesian Ridgeback as never been outside of a fenced area off-leash.  I wish I could let her off, but I'm always too nervous her prey-drive would take over and she'd bolt after a squirrel or cat and end up in front of a car.  She does associate bikes with my wife and I though and wants to run with them. . .but I would hope she wouldn't act agressive towards a biker.

To address the issue of APBTs being kind and gentle dogs unless they're trained to attack. . .stop being naive.  Yes unsavory people are generally attracted to that type of dog, but our RR had a chunk of her ear bitten off by one that had a decent owner.  Decent owner + APBT = my > 1 year old pup having a chunk of her ear torn off.  Judging by this thread, it's all too common.  (Not to mention I was chased by two pitbulls when I was a kid until my lab came to the rescue and stood her ground until they wandered off.)

What really sucks is that someone showed the type of turds that seem to love APBT's what a Rhodesian Ridgeback is and now they're starting to cross them with pits.  I can just imagine their thought process, "Wow!  My sick pit plus a dog that "kills" lions?!?  Awesome!!"  It's something that is really worrying responsible Ridgeback owners and especially breeders.  More and more RR/APBT crosses are showing up in rescues especially in the south.  *sigh*

I believe someone in this thread spoke of carrying a gun while riding their bike.  WTF???  This isn't the wild west.  Annie Oakley couldn't hit a white whale on a black background while riding a tri bike away from a pitbull.  You should probably leave your piece at home before you shoot yourself or someone else in the area.  At least if you mace yourself of someone else in the process it'll wear off.  Bullets don't.

RRs are GORGEOUS dogs!

As far as the attack on your RR, even with what most would consider a "decent" owner, if they are not established as the "alpha" in the home, the dog will act as thus.  If your RR was doing something dominant, or was not submissive enough (given the young age this may be the case) it would provoke a response from ANY not well balanced dog. (small dogs are infamous for having "little dog" syndrome and in reality they are the alpha in the home and dominate as often as possible, they are just too small to do any damage)

There are definite signs for identifying this but without spending LOTS of time around dogs, it can be hard to pick up on.  My mom's dog has some serious dominant tendancies (he's a west highland white terrier).  He has been attacked by many other dogs because of this, a pack of black lab "puppies", poodle, mastif mix.

I will admit that because of their strength and size Pit mixes can be tough to train because if you don't catch them right away, they will do damage.  Typically once they've bitten another dog, gone after a person, etc... people will grab the dog by the collar and pet them to "calm them down".  In reality you are doing the EXACT opposite, you are actually encouraging the behavior.

Think of it this way.  If you steal a candy bar from a store and I praise you for it, what are you going to think?  That stealing candy bars is a good thing.  This is how a dog sees it when you pet them.  Best thing to do when a dog does something you don't like, scold them then ignore them, that is what the "alpha" in a pack would do to correct behavior.

Dogs are just that, dogs, not people.  They don't have reason when it comes to these things.  You may think your dog dislikes it, but you are actually making your dog HAPPIER by giving them guidance and "showing them the way".

Edited by menglo 2011-03-23 7:36 PM
2011-03-23 7:59 PM

User image

Central Oregon
gonwalkabout03 - 2011-03-23 2:33 PM

What really sucks is that someone showed the type of turds that seem to love APBT's what a Rhodesian Ridgeback is and now they're starting to cross them with pits.  I can just imagine their thought process, "Wow!  My sick pit plus a dog that "kills" lions?!?  Awesome!!"  It's something that is really worrying responsible Ridgeback owners and especially breeders.  More and more RR/APBT crosses are showing up in rescues especially in the south.  *sigh*

I didn't know that was intentionally going on, the cross between a Rhodesian with a Pit. That's what our dog looked like, we got her from the pound before we had kids. She was the best dog ever... we ended up finding a new home for her after my second was born. The dog and two babies was too much for me to handle at the time.

IF we ever get an animal again it will be a Rhodesian and it will be when the kids are much older.

2011-03-23 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Peachtree city, GA
quick call to animal control should take care of that pit bull
2011-03-23 10:57 PM

User image

New Orleans, LA
Im sorry too hear that.  If this dog has bitten more than a few people you should really contact animal services, after you file a police report of course, and have the dog put down.  I am in no way shape or form in favor of killing animals, but when it comes to dangerous animals and their owners repeatedly not taking control something needs to be done.  

2011-03-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3411492

Veteran
Brightbow - 2011-03-23 7:59 PM

I didn't know that was intentionally going on, the cross between a Rhodesian with a Pit. That's what our dog looked like, we got her from the pound before we had kids. She was the best dog ever... we ended up finding a new home for her after my second was born. The dog and two babies was too much for me to handle at the time.

IF we ever get an animal again it will be a Rhodesian and it will be when the kids are much older.

Our breeder was the one telling us about it.  She's big into helping out with RR rescues all around Oregon.  I've met a couple of the mixes and they are beautiful dogs. 

I toally understand you having to find another home for yours.  Our girl was a handful for her first two years.  I couldn't imagine having young children and a RR pup at the same time.  She is really easy now as long as she gets a long walk or a run everyday, more than content to flop on your lap on the couch.  From everything we hear she should be great with kids as she gets older (supposedly females adopt kids almost as their own.)

Speaking of that, there's a vid somewhere on youtube of a couple that got a RR pup when they had a toddler and was a montage of them growing up together. . .soooo cute.

/threadjack

2011-03-25 1:52 PM

User image

Pro

I hope you heal quickly! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Animal Control is your friend. They are there for a reason, and they generally produce solid justice.

And YES you can call them about concerns you have! Tell them that there is a dog that barks aggressively on your bike route and that then fence doesn't really look capable of containing it. Tell them about loose dogs. Tell them about neglected dogs. Tell them about bites. Tell them about near-misses. They take it all very seriously.

They are required to follow up, and sometimes the prevention - or swift action after an incident - can save lots of time and trouble and prevent future injuries.

2011-03-25 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

I hope you heal quickly!! 

The dog does need to be put down, and the owners held responsible.  It's really sad because it's not the dog's fault.  With good training and a loving home this dog could have been a beautiful addition to someone's family.

2011-03-27 12:06 AM

User image

EKH - 2011-03-22 8:48 PM

Was out for a ride today when attacked by a Pit Bull.  A family was standing out in their front yard with this dog when it took off after me.  I was going up a hill into a 30mph head wind so there was no out running the dog.  I was praying the owners would be able to stop the dog but no dice.  To be honest with you it didn't appear they made much of an attempt.  He knocked me off my bike and latched onto my thigh and just started shaking his head back and fourth.  I was hitting the dog on the head and one of the owners finally made it over there and started kicking the dog.  They finally got the dog off me.  Some old couple driving by witnessed the entire thing and loaded up my bike in their truck and drove me to the emergency room.  Ended up with a nice big hole in my leg that had to be stiched up.  What really pisses me off is I found out that the dog has bitten several people in the past.

I'm currently done running for 4 weeks due to an injury and know I can't swim for 12 days because of the stiches.  I haven't got a chance to look over my bike real well I'm hoping it's not jacked up were I can't ride for awhile too. 

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and wish you a fast and complete recovery.

2011-03-27 12:22 AM
in reply to: #3410085

User image

Cuetoy - 2011-03-23 6:11 AM
mktoson - 2011-03-23 8:45 AM
RVachon - 2011-03-23 6:59 AM

vabeachnut1 - 2011-03-23 12:16 AM Sue the owners, shoot the dog. WTF, shoot the owners as well.

No. SHOOT THE OWNERS not the dog.  The owners are probably welfare type without a dime to their name so suing will get you barely nothing.  A bullet to the ahead though will be memorable. 

I can understand the anger in this thread, but ^^^ seriously?

I'm with you in that one....To the OP, i'm sorry that you had to go through that and i hope you heal fast.  I would report it to the proper authorities and sue the owners.  Most of these cases are covered under the homeowners insurance policty even if they rent.

And just WOW for those that their solution is to shoot everyone and feel the need to make disparaging remarks without knowing all the details.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I think at long last we found something we agree on ..... I do believe most of that was meant to be in sarc font.

FWIW and maybe one of the lawyers on here could clarify this but I don't think there is any reason you would "sue" the insurance company, you would sue the owner of the dog and their home owner/renters policy would respond by paying or defending them. If they were tenants you may also sue the owner of the property.

2011-03-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3416132

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-27 10:48 AM

Veteran
Meridian, ID

Too bad hope you heal well.  

I skipped to the last page so don't know what all has been said.  I used to be a dog trainer and the guy I co-trained with specialized with aggressive dogs and was a county court appointed behavior analyst.  I've seen some pretty bad dogs in my time.  

One, you can sue and will win, the dog will be put down for multiple bites.  Since you have a witness this should be an easy 1-2-3 case.  Also pit bulls get the brunt of bad social PR, but in all reality they attack less than other breeds.  This doesn't detract from the one that came after you, nor excuse it, but their historical history precedes them.  A study a few years ago, don't remember who or where, showed that the breed with most bites on strangers were yellow labs.  A surprise to many, but a common breed and people honestly don't know how to own a dog.  People could learn a lot from Cesar Milan.  Most all these attacks have to do with the owners inability to keep a mentally healthy dog. 

Anyway, I hope you heal well, and the family that owned the dog pays at least for all injury bills and damage to your bike.

2011-03-27 1:04 PM

Marshfield Wi

What is it about us humans that makes us think that we can control everything around us?

Some think that with some training and a lot of love they can override generation after generation of breading for a specific trait. Instincts are just that, born with, natural. Don't hate the bread but don't expect it to be something that it is not. I don't expect my retriever to be a lap dog.

Weather it is mother nature, God or whatever your belief is, as recent events in the world prove, we humans are very small in the big picture of things and just along for the ride.

Is it arrogance or ignorance? You tell me.....

2011-03-27 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3416357

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
FoggyGoggles - 2011-03-27 7:07 PM

crusevegas - 2011-03-27 12:22 AM

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I think at long last we found something we agree on ..... I do believe most of that was meant to be in sarc font.

FWIW and maybe one of the lawyers on here could clarify this but I don't think there is any reason you would "sue" the insurance company, you would sue the owner of the dog and their home owner/renters policy would respond by paying or defending them. If they were tenants you may also sue the owner of the property.

One in the same, no? You would sue the home owner / renter as well as the insurance company. By naming the insurance company that holds the insured's policy it cuts through the red tape and expedites the judgement. It's also recorded on the insurance companies books to reflect on the policy holders history.

Sueing the insurance company just sounds like a money grab to me...Quite a few insurance companies explicitely state they won't cover certain breeds/types of dogs. My guess is that takes them off the hook (no liable) in cases such as these. Smart, if you ask me. It's all on the owner at that point...

2011-03-27 2:29 PM

Regular
this has happened to me before except i got the dog to back up. Luckily i was near a driveway and the dog received a face full of rocks from a high school baseball pitcher (me)  ...so he got what he deserved  Laughing

2011-03-27 3:23 PM

Something should be done about the dog, I have no tolerance for that type of behavior. I feel the owners are liable and they should pay for medical bills, bike damage, etc...however I am not one for "suing" per say..Not a fan of getting rich quick off of someone else.

Plus the old saying..its hard to get water out of a rock

2011-03-27 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3416382

Champion
Alabama
tstick14 - 2011-03-27 10:48 AM

Too bad hope you heal well.  

I skipped to the last page so don't know what all has been said.  I used to be a dog trainer and the guy I co-trained with specialized with aggressive dogs and was a county court appointed behavior analyst.  I've seen some pretty bad dogs in my time.  

One, you can sue and will win, the dog will be put down for multiple bites.  Since you have a witness this should be an easy 1-2-3 case.  Also pit bulls get the brunt of bad social PR, but in all reality they attack less than other breeds.  This doesn't detract from the one that came after you, nor excuse it, but their historical history precedes them.  A study a few years ago, don't remember who or where, showed that the breed with most bites on strangers were yellow labs.  A surprise to many, but a common breed and people honestly don't know how to own a dog.  People could learn a lot from Cesar Milan.  Most all these attacks have to do with the owners inability to keep a mentally healthy dog. 

Anyway, I hope you heal well, and the family that owned the dog pays at least for all injury bills and damage to your bike.

Not sure where you got you data but previously in this thread I've cited case studies that prove just the opposite.

Not only do pit bulls and two other breeds account for like 75% of all attacks but because of thier powerful bite, they do the most damage.

As someone else posted, this breed has been bred for becuase they are natural fighters.  Illegal dogfights are very violent events.  Oftentimes the owner will have a oval shapped stick that they have to use to put into the jaws of the pitbull and then twist the stick to dislocate his jawbones to get the dog to turn loose of the other dog before the other dog dies.

2011-03-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3416567

d00d - 2011-03-27 11:46 AM

One in the same, no? You would sue the home owner / renter as well as the insurance company. By naming the insurance company that holds the insured's policy it cuts through the red tape and expedites the judgement. It's also recorded on the insurance companies books to reflect on the policy holders history.

Sueing the insurance company just sounds like a money grab to me...Quite a few insurance companies explicitely state they won't cover certain breeds/types of dogs. My guess is that takes them off the hook (no liable) in cases such as these. Smart, if you ask me. It's all on the owner at that point...

Many states (most?  all?) prohibit direct actions by third party's against a tortfeasor's insurance carrier.  As noted, the insured tenders the defense to the carrier and they pay for the defense.  Unless there is some exclusion or the act is not covered.  Having to tender to insurance doesn't take any appreciable time, there is no expditing of anything, really

2011-03-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3416671

Champion
Alabama
ChrisM - 2011-03-27 3:54 PM

Many states (most?  all?) prohibit direct actions by third party's against a tortfeasor's insurance carrier.  As noted, the insured tenders the defense to the carrier and they pay for the defense.  Unless there is some exclusion or the act is not covered.  Having to tender to insurance doesn't take any appreciable time, there is no expditing of anything, really

Not sure I followed that legalize but I think you are saying there is not benefit in suing the insurance company directly?  If so, I agree.  Years ago I got sued for $1M for breaking a bouncer's leg in a barfight.  In the letter from the attorney, they suggested I contact my homeowner's insurance company.  I thought this was ridiculous as this happened in a bar....nowhere near my house.  Well, turns out my insurance did cover me.  There is a personal liability cluase in there.  So my insurance company provided an attorney to defend me in the case.  We ended up settling in out of court and my insurance co paid the guy like $10k. BTW, he also sued the bar becuase they did not have workman's comp insurance....they too paid him $10k to dispose of the case and not go to trial.

Read your homeowners policy.  I think most people never read it until they need it.  You might be suprised what is in there....and what is excluded.  For instance my personal liability clause excludes cases of sexual harrassment.  It will cover me if I'm sued for anything....except sexual harrassement.  Go figure.  So I never sexual harrass anyone. ;-)

2011-03-27 4:27 PM

Champion
Alabama

Just a little off-topic video to off-set the bad press for dogs...

http://www.godvine.com/Dog-Changes-Lives-in-a-Way-No-One-Expected-274.html

2011-03-27 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3416689

Rogillio - 2011-03-27 4:10 PM
ChrisM - 2011-03-27 3:54 PM

Not sure I followed that legalize but I think you are saying there is not benefit in suing the insurance company directly?  If so, I agree.  Years ago I got sued for $1M for breaking a bouncer's leg in a barfight.  In the letter from the attorney, they suggested I contact my homeowner's insurance company.  I thought this was ridiculous as this happened in a bar....nowhere near my house.  Well, turns out my insurance did cover me.  There is a personal liability cluase in there.  So my insurance company provided an attorney to defend me in the case.  We ended up settling in out of court and my insurance co paid the guy like $10k. BTW, he also sued the bar becuase they did not have workman's comp insurance....they too paid him $10k to dispose of the case and not go to trial.

Read your homeowners policy.  I think most people never read it until they need it.  You might be suprised what is in there....and what is excluded.  For instance my personal liability clause excludes cases of sexual harrassment.  It will cover me if I'm sued for anything....except sexual harrassement.  Go figure.  So I never sexual harrass anyone. ;-)

Likewise, check your auto policy to see how your coverage extends to road cycling and running...i.e. Uninsured Motorist if you are struck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Attacked by Pit Bull Rss Feed  

of 5