General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chased by dogs on bike - what do you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-03-28 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3417624

User image

Subject: RE: Chased by dogs on bike - what do you do?
Rogillio - 2011-03-28 7:15 AM

4.  You are completely mistaken in point #5.  You should read up a bit on the law with regard to the justifiable use of deadly force in your state.  Also, my guns have no external safeties.  My safety is the finger here on the J key.  Pretty foolish and arrogant....and maybe even a violation of the state laws if you modified a gun to remove safety devices. 

Your lack of knowledge on firearms is showing in this response, not all firearms have external safeties.

As far as the comment about you NOT caring about what the law says, that's ONE of the reasons people carry guns.

I hope your comments you made on this thread don't come back to haunt you if you harm someone for defending themselves against you.

2011-03-28 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3409920

User image

Champion
Alabama

People can be very emotional about their pets. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=179058&start=1

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x143/CasMicRog/Jake/?albumview=slideshow

I am a dog lover and always have been.  All I'm saying is, pit bull or golden retiever or poodle, just realize that not everyone thinks of dogs as "just an animal".  For many, they are beloved members of the family.  Shooting at anyone's dog should be a last resort......not just becuase he showed his teeth and gowled.

2011-03-28 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

Wow - a gun on you while biking?  That is just crazy.  Personally I'd rather have a pitbull latch on to my leg than carry a gun and risk injuring myself or someone else.  If you are ever in my paceline let me know so I can drop, more danger to you and me than the dog....  If you can't do some interval work to out sprint them then finding another route is the best option.  If you are in a new area and the dog looks overly aggressive some stop and put their bike between them and the dog and firmly tell them to go home.  Good luck and stay safe.

2011-03-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3417642

User image

Champion
Alabama
crusevegas - 2011-03-28 9:25 AM
Rogillio - 2011-03-28 7:15 AM

4.  You are completely mistaken in point #5.  You should read up a bit on the law with regard to the justifiable use of deadly force in your state.  Also, my guns have no external safeties.  My safety is the finger here on the J key.  Pretty foolish and arrogant....and maybe even a violation of the state laws if you modified a gun to remove safety devices. 

Your lack of knowledge on firearms is showing in this response, not all firearms have external safeties.

As far as the comment about you NOT caring about what the law says, that's ONE of the reasons people carry guns.

I hope your comments you made on this thread don't come back to haunt you if you harm someone for defending themselves against you.

I'll admit I am not a gun enthusist but neither am I ignorant.  I own 1/2 dozen firearems - 9mm, 30-06, a few shotguns, .22s etc.  I was also in the Army and qualified expert with an M-16, fired M-60 machine guns and 50-cal machine guns.  I am not aware of handguns w/o some sort of safety device but if you say there are many, I'll accept that.

As far as you second comment....you may be right. 

As far as my comments haunting me.....maybe.  I've looked down the barrel of a loaded gun pointed at me on a few occasions.   But then I found religion....I mean triathlons....and I retired from my rough and rowdy ways....uh...well, most of them.  ;-)

Edited by Rogillio 2011-03-28 10:01 AM
2011-03-28 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
It's just my opinion, but I think people over react to dogs. Most dogs are just out to play. Yes, they can cause a wreck if you get tangled up, but I doubt most of our dog encounters are with vicious dogs out to do violent things.

I've been riding, going on 20 years now. I've never once felt threaten by a dog. I've never had a dog continue to advance after a stern and authoritative "NO! GO HOME!"

More often then not I end up giving my chaser a good scratch behind the ears and sending them on their merry way.
2011-03-28 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3417875

graceful_dave - 2011-03-28 11:17 AMIt's just my opinion, but I think people over react to dogs. Most dogs are just out to play. Yes, they can cause a wreck if you get tangled up, but I doubt most of our dog encounters are with vicious dogs out to do violent things.I've been riding, going on 20 years now. I've never once felt threaten by a dog. I've never had a dog continue to advance after a stern and authoritative "NO! GO HOME!" More often then not I end up giving my chaser a good scratch behind the ears and sending them on their merry way.
Did you happen to see the thread a couple of days ago by the guy with the pitbull attached to his thigh?

2011-03-30 10:51 AM

User image

New user

I think your looking at this the wrong way....You should see it as a Great Sprint Workout.

But, if the dog is a better sprinter than you, I carry a couple Milk Bones in my shirt pocket.  Haven't met a dog yet that would turn one down...

2011-03-30 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Milk bones would have done you little good against the dog that attacked me. The only use I might have had for a milkbone was to plug the hole he put in my leg.
2011-03-30 11:32 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Depends of the circunstances....but....

I usually take it as my Interval work-out...LOL ...

And...I usually have a small signal horn in my jersey's pocket...just in case...the dog is on my way...

Edited by velorider62 2011-03-30 11:37 AM
2011-03-31 3:09 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
After reading the posts here I wrote on my to do list "pepper spray" for protection from animals and humans, but use of any kind of aerosol on a person in Canada can equal 3 years in prison regardless of the circumstances...

So, I went for a hike on Monday (after I wrote this to do list) and my husband and I were "greeted" by a very peeved very large dog. The Bruce Trail runs through people's properties at some points and we were on this leash less dogs turf. My husband wants pepper spray now too. We were SO LUCKY that the woman who owns the place wasn't too far behind him, but it took a scary amount of time to get him under control and she had to basically hold him down while we passed through.

It was so scary. I was looking for a climbable tree before it was restrained. Pepper spray is still on the to do list.

2011-03-31 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Kimber Pepperblaster II over mace/halt or pepper spray.

2011-03-31 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've scanned the whole thread... Glad some one posted the American Flyers video.

Anyway... I'm pro gun, gun owner, all that... I think the issue I see with it is the legality of firing from a moving vehicle. Yes, your bike IS a vehicle. And we fight for the right to BE a vehicle on public roads. Just some food for thought.

When running, most of the time all I have to do is bend over like I'm picking up rocks and the dog will high-tail it in the opposite direction pronto. The only time I had issue with this was when I was in high school, and an incident with a neighbor prompted me to start carry a baseball bat when I was on the dirt road that went out to the main paved road. I only had to use it once, and never even had to hit the dog... But I had the biggest adrenaline-dump of my life in those few seconds. But the advice to never turn your back is spot on. Unless they're a trained attack dog, they won't bite from the front.

When riding, most of the time I can out-sprint them. Otherwise, stopping takes all the fun out of the chase, and they go back to their boring life.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chased by dogs on bike - what do you do? Rss Feed  

of 5