United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 13m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 99/133
Pre-race routine:

Ate my Oatmeal and drove downtown with my run group.
Event warmup:

Streched out a bit and tryed not to be nervous.
Run
  • 5h 13m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

That was hard. And painful! My first marathon and I had to run the whole thing alone because everyone in my run group is either faster or slower pace. My time goal was 4:45 or really under 5.

I was on pace running about 10-10:30 for the first half. Side stitch for about 3 miles early on, but I was able to run thru it. Nervous stomach settled after a porta stop.

Started to slow on the hills coming back from Decatur. First I was walking the uphills. Then I was walking the aid stations too. Feet were killing me. Blisters in all the usual places and a few new ones. The road slant was killing my feet. I'm not used to running on roads with such a pronouced slant. Figured out around mile 14 that I wasn't going to make 4:45. Figured out around 18 I was going to be over 5 hrs. Oh well, I was going to finish! I didn't doubt that.

Right before Piedmont Park I decided I really wanted to be done with this race. Walking 25% of the time was not making me feel better or get it done faster. I decided to run (if you can something that slow running) the remainder of the way. Starting and stopping was so painful, running couldn't be any worse.

That out and back loop in Piedmont is really soul crushing. I was thinking about crying (and worried about the resulting further loss of hydration) when I saw my friend Brent on his bike calling my name. He had run the Half then got on his bike and was biking the course looking for us. Talked with him a for a few minutes as he cycled along. Appreciated the looking good comments, even though they were patently lies.

Now I was passing tons of people walking the final couple of miles. Made me feel better, even though I was way off my goal time. Ran over the finish line. I wished I was more excited, but I was just glad to be done!
What would you do differently?:

- Must try to find a way not to get blisters on my feet!
- Do more than 2 long runs over 20.
- Don't stop at a porta-potty with a 5 minute wait.
- Bank a little more time in the first half to give me a cushion
Post race
Warm down:

tryed not to fall down before I found a place to sit down

Event comments:

I'm not sure I will do another marathon. I did this one just to say I did it. Right now I can't imagine doing it again. I didn't really enjoy the time I put into training just the run. I don't like running that far. It was very hard on my body. (Goodbye Mr Toe Nail, I miss you so!) The only way I could ever imagine putting my body thru that again is if I decide one day that 5:13 just isn't good enough. But that day isn't anytime soon.

Last updated: 2011-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
05:13:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/133
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Hilly run from Downtown Centenial Olympic Park to Decatur and back thru Druid Hills, Emory and Piedmont Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes