General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and Weight Loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-16 6:19 AM

Veteran
LasVegas
Subject: Swimming and Weight Loss

Several members of our weight loss challange are having problems loosing weight despite a lot of excercise.  I noticed that many of them do a lot of swimming. Well over 50% of the work out time is in the water.  Could this be the reason for them not loosing weight.

Research published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine shows that in the absence of a controlled diet, swimming has little or no effect on weight loss [1].

Professor Grant Gwinup compared three exercise programs for three months. Each program began with up to 10 minutes of daily exercise. The length of each workout was increased by five minutes every week.

• Test subjects following the walking program lost 17 pounds of weight during the three-month study.

• Those following the cycling program lost 19 pounds of weight.

• However, subjects following the swimming program actually gained 5 pounds.

This from  http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/swimming.htm 

This is a good articale but It does not adress my Idea that the body of swimmers fight to keep the fat since boyance is a big aid in swimming.  After wales spend thier livers swimming and you never see a skinny wale.  I plan on doing some more reserch on this and doing an article at a later.

My the reserch seems to show that if you are trying to lose weight you need to spend more time on the bike and run than in the water.

2005-08-16 10:58 AM
in reply to: #226130

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Swimming and Weight Loss
I've never lost weight while swimming.

Doesn't it take a lot of oxygen to use fat? The more O2 you intake the more fat that can be burned. It has been my thought that 2 processes are working against you in swimming:
controlled/limited breathing
water conducting heat away from your body

The temp regulation of your body uses up a lot of calories (AFAIK). All this is personal observation. I am not a Dr... but, I have a masters degree...in science.
2005-08-16 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
the key is "in the absence of a controlled diet".

weight loss in a nut shell (as most of you already know)-burn more calories than you consume.
2005-08-16 11:23 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Thanks for the article. I absolutely agree with the author that swimming somehow raises one's appetite post workout. My solution to this problem is that I would do a 20 minutes run after a swim. I started that routine last summer and was able to lose some weight. (I have gained the weights back since then, but that's another story.) Guess somehow the constant pounding action plus profuse sweating while running just lower the appetite. Of course, limiting caloric intake is always paramount.

See, I "get" the theory. Why haven't I @$%^#@ lost weight!!?

Edited by Denise2003 2005-08-16 11:23 AM
2005-08-16 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
i read somewhere here on BT that the increase in appetite after swimming is due to the cooling of the body caused from being in the water. It was said that to counteract this effect you could get in a hot tub or take a warm shower to warm your body back up after swimming.
2005-08-16 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Thanks for the thread.  I found all the information facinating.  I always wondered (and guessed incorrectly) why I am so hungry after my swim workouts.

2005-08-16 3:53 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

I admitedly didn't read the full article. I wonder tho if it has to do with maintaining movement.  Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommends 60 minutes of activity at least 5 days a week for weightloss.  With swimming, we do sets and take more breaks therefore not getting a continuous 60 mins of exercise.  Maybe that's it?  Just a thought to throw out to the masses.

Sarah

2005-08-16 9:39 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
It's interesting that so many people get hungry after swimming. I've always been less hungry after swimming, even when I was swimming competitively. It's always been a pretty effective way for me to lose weight because of it.

One of the things I've also heard about swimmers is that they tend to have more fat just below their skin than other athletes, supposedly to keep them warm. Anyone heard that/know if it's true?
2005-08-17 2:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

Read "Swimming to Antarctica" by Lynn Cox if you want to prove that a bit of extra fat makes you a better swimmer.  No really, a very inspiring book that will make anyone who swims immediately want to throw on a suit and goggles after reading.

RBC,

I think distance/intensity is the key answer to your question.  How profound huh!!!  Show me an Olympic short/med distance swimmer with an ounce of fat.  Ok, take it down a notch...hit your local JC or HS and look at the short/med top distance swimmers there and find me an ounce of fat.

If you want to lose weight swimming, plan on 2k a day minimum w/ no more than 20 seconds rest between sets.  You should feel like your gonna faint when you get out of the pool.  Otherwise you’re spinning your wheels doing distance for weight loss.

2005-08-17 10:47 AM

Veteran
LasVegas
I coach HS Wrestling and quite a few of my wrestlers are also swimmers. Part of the requirments for wrestling is to have Body fat tested. While the swimmers look pretty lean thay also look smooth and thier body fat test is higher than I would have thought by looking. Maybe this is a small layer of fat under the sking that some one else spoke of. If you become to lean you might achieve negetive boyance in which case swimming is much more difficult so perhaps the body keep that skin fat for warmth and boyance.
2005-08-18 7:46 PM
in reply to: #226935

User image

Expert
WV
Artemis - 2005-08-16 7:39 PM

One of the things I've also heard about swimmers is that they tend to have more fat just below their skin than other athletes, supposedly to keep them warm. Anyone heard that/know if it's true?

I have read and been told that by profs. I guess the body lays down more fat to help prevent the body from losing heat while in the cooler than body temp water.

2005-08-18 7:49 PM

Regular
Colorado
Boy do I have a lot of thoughts on this one... I'm returning to this website (and to triathlon training) after 1+ years sabbatical. I am primarily a swimmer (and a big fan of the Swimming to Antarctica book). I carry about 40 extra pounds and despite 3 rigorous masters swims per week, I retain the extra weight. I'm typically swimming 3,000 yards in an hour with very little rest. I eat moderately and fairly healthy and really do believe that swimming encourages the body to hold onto fat. However, I recently completed a 10k open water swim and was VERY appreciative of the extra insulation I carry!

Even biking 30-60 miles per week doesn't shift my body composition. So I figure I HAVE to add back the running to try to drop the pounds. We'll see how it goes....
2005-08-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: #228463

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
kimber - 2005-08-18 7:49 PM

Even biking 30-60 miles per week doesn't shift my body composition. So I figure I HAVE to add back the running to try to drop the pounds. We'll see how it goes....

Oh dear.. may be I should step up on my running as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and Weight Loss Rss Feed