USTA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 17s
Overall Rank = 129/377
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/29
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race taper might have been better named pre-race tapeworm as the prior Sunday saw a flu bug or something knock 8 pounds off of me. Would have liked to do more light workouts the week before and polish up some edges, but focus was more on taking it easy to gain back water weight. Put in a light open water swim trying out the wetsuit on that Wednesday and a moderate pace treadmill run on Friday. Picked up race packet the day before and walked the course, got my bearings so going there the next morning set up was smooth. T1- now that is another story...
Event warmup:

Basic light arm stretches, some calf raises, nothing major.
Swim
  • 15m 16s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

About what I expected for the first time swim. Was unable to test new goggles the week before, so used the old worn out ones which proceeded to fog heavily most of the trip. Kind of faded the last 100 or so, but overall goal was to get the first one out of the way. Swimming is to be focused on heavily in the winter, so not too concerned that there isnt anything more time in the pool wont fix up.
What would you do differently?:

Practice, practice, practice. Not extremely disappointed as I only started swimming a few months ago and it is by far the weakest discipline. We will get there. Oh yeah, and remember the body glide next time. Fortunately no ill effects, however.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

This one shocked me when I looked at the race report but makes sense when I broke it down. First off, the POS old timex I had under the wetsuit's band broke. That thing needed to be put to rest and glad it at least went in action. Got out of the lake, peeled suit down to waist rather easily. Then I had a moment where I just convinced myself to relax and take it easy with making sure everything was ready for the bike i.e. socks, gel, etc. Dried off feet, put on socks and shoes, helmet, glasses. As I was leaving, forgot race belt with number and had to turn back. Overall, yeah, it was the first T1.

Learning experience. Area needs to be less cluttered, maybe have everything on the bike and more sense of urgency as tons of time to recover from swim on the bike. Think I tried to stand while taking legs down on wetsuit too. Just sit down and get em off already!
Bike
  • 1h 08m 3s
  • 22 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a decent bike. Primarily big ring stuff with some use of middle on a few hills. Transtion from water to good cruising speed about a mile in or so. Had a few times where energy lacked but overall maintained a decent pace and was passed by only two or three riders. Took a Accelerade gel with about four or five miles to go to prepare for the run. Found out I was middle ring unintentionally for a little bit on the end which cost me a bit of speed.

Pretty happy with the bike. Maybe get down on the aeros a bit more and remember to stay on the saddle as long as possible on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Happy with this overall for the first time. Transition area was near the back of the racks but got changed, took a quick drink and ran out.

Learn more of the tricks, maybe get some Yankz or whatever they are called, pull feet out of shoes, etc.
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. Was just hoping to get the first one under my belt after a tough week on the body from other factors. Pedometer went out, so was unable to monitor pace as I wanted. Slowly been working in more speedwork and think we can get sub 20's by next season.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Last three weeks ahead of tri included a week completely off because of the birth of the twins, a week of moderate training with a solid brick, then the flu and recovery for the taper week which allowed for little fine tuning. Overall knowledge of transitions will be helpful as little tweaks. Knowing that it can be done and that I dont need to be as conservative will help too.

Event comments:

I will definitely be back next year and hope to improve on my first performance. Everything is centrally located, transition areas close and liked the mix of paved and trail running. Beautiful course.

Last updated: 2005-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:16 | 528 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/377
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Fluidrive
Course: out and back course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:03 | 22 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: some moderate hills and rollers. Only one or two major ones and some opportunities to pick up time on the downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:35 | 03.1 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: First mile was primarily rolling cross county trail run with a few hills on grass and woodchips. Remainder was through paved trails and subdivision with two water stations. Big hill with 400 to go into a downhill finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-16 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon

2005-08-16 10:31 AM
in reply to: #226185

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon

Nice work Joe. Congrats on the kids too!

Pete

2005-08-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: #226361

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Thanks Pete. My "recovery day" yesterday was taking care of all four of em for a few hours to give the wife a sanity break. That might have actually been a tougher time mentally than the tri!! Are you planning on any more races this season? Considering Lake Geneva or Devils Lake and would still be up for a ride or run one of these weekends.
2005-08-16 12:05 PM
in reply to: #226185

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Devil's Lake is on my schedule. I have not registered yet, but I continue to train in earnest.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon Rss Feed