General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Perform and GI Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-25 8:51 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Ironman Perform and GI Issues
Is anyone training with Ironman Perform? 

I have been using it lately training for IMTX and while I like the taste I think it may be causing some GI issues for me.  I am not 100% convinced that it is the perform but there seems to be a connection between my "symptoms" and when I drink it.

Sorry if this is TMI bit I feel bloated and gassy.  Could it be simply the increase in training volume?  It would be a major PIA not to be able to drink what they serve on the course, but not a catastrophe as I could supplement with more salt tabs and nutrition but it sure does make it easier to buy what the are selling.

Anyone else with issues with the Perform?

2011-03-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3413732

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Perform and GI Issues
It sucks!
2011-03-25 9:46 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

In my job as a writer I get the opportunity to interview and interact with a lot of athletes across a wide spectrum of experience levels.

One of the things I see consistently is that, among us rank n' file recreational age groupers there are common comments about not being to "stomach" or tolerate a given, specific nutritional product.

When I speak to the pros about it; Andy Potts, Leanda Cave, Chuckie V, etc., etc. the story is completely different. Completely.

The predominant difference is some pros, an increasing number I'll suggest, train themselves to tolerate a given product. Andy Potts told me, during an interview, "You have to train your gut. It takes time." He mentioned how important it was to train with what you will be using on race day and taking from the aid stations. He said it was particularly important if the given product was initially less than optimal and produced some gastric distress.

Why bother? Valid question.

If you are doing longer events and you have not been dilligent in acclimating your gastro-intestinal system then you are limited to certain products you can tolerate. That is a profound limitation. If something goes wrong with your nutrition plan such as missing a special needs bag, minor bike fall coming out of transition that causes you to lose a bottle or some other of the hundreds of problems that can come up- you have no "Plan B".

Additionally, the entire problem of G.I. distress is generally, at the highest level, a reaction to stress. Gastric stress, emotional stress, cardiovascular stress. If you are having difficulty with that it needs to be trained, just as- if you had difficulty running farther than 20 miles you'll need to train that.

The G.I. system is a physiological process that can adapt to a degree. If you want a smooth, enjoyable experience on race day trainig your G.I. system is a critical, critical doctrine at ultra distance. If you fail to adapt your G.I. system to work effectively under stress with a wide variety of products there is a strong chance you'll be, at best, uncomfortable on race day and- at worst, maybe wind up in the medical tent.

I hope that helps. Buy some of the product you'll use on the course in your key race and teach yourself to use it effectively. Adapt.

Best of luck to you!Smile

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2011-03-25 9:46 AM
2011-03-25 10:05 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Since I'm signed up for IMKY 2011, I'm beginning to use the Ironman Perform drink.  I have not had any issues with it so far.  I've only used the RTD bottles.  I have a tub of the powder that I will begin to use in the near future.  We'll see how that goes.

2011-03-25 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I have tried for almost 2 years to 'train' my gut to tolerate different sports drinks. I tried perform last summer before IMLP. It just doesn't work for me, at all. I can't tolerate Heed, Infinit, Powerade or Perform. All of those products make me bloated, nauseous and gassy. It can get extremely uncomfortable, especially on really long training rides.

I can tolerate gatorade with carbo-pro, water and endurolytes, and this is one of the only things that have always worked for me from the beginning. I make a very concentrated bottle of gatorade/carbo-pro, but carefully drink a lot of water with each sip, and take endurolytes to make sure I have enough electrolytes. I also eat GU chomps and GU gels. I only drink water on the course, and for my IMs, I will carry a fuel belt for the run. If I don't do it this way, I simply can't race my best.

I personally think that the reason I can't tolerate all of those other products is because they have too much fructose in them. I haven't done specific research into the amount of fructose in those products, but I do know that anyone, if given too much fructose, simply can't absorb it correctly, and will get bloated and gassy. Some people are just a little more sensitive than others, and I'm just not sure if it's something you can simply 'train' your gut to tolerate. If you think it's fructose, google 'fructose malabsorption' to read a bit more about how it's broken down in your guts. A little bit of fructose is OK, but a lot could be the cause of your problems.
2011-03-25 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I trained all summer with the Power Bar powdered version and liked and tolerated it well. I bought 12 bottles of RTD in various flavors to try to be sure it worked well in September for IMFL and I found the taste to be quite different and I more than disliked it.

I went with another nutrition plan using Power Bar gels and water with nuuns added in. I was still mostly living off the course but it was more palatable for me. I had nuuns with me in two places and had a back up supply in bike SN in case I needed more.

2 months out from IMTX perhaps you can train your gut to tolerate Ironman Perform but perhaps it is time to try a different plan to see if it works well.

For my first IM I asked my coach about having a back up plan in nutrition as I saw over and over reading BT IM RRs that folks had issues and abandoned their nutrition plan and winged it. Why this occurs my guess..... racing at higher level then they trained at thus harder to process nutrition and/or taking in to many calories. My coach had me try two other nutrition plans as back ups and I did those on my last long rides. Having a second plan that is living off the course so you know the how much to take and what amount can be very helpful if needed.

2011-03-25 12:05 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)

I switched from Gatorate powder to PB endurance powder after signing up for IMAZ 2010.  i trained all year with it with no GI issues but I drink it half strenght because I don't do well with too much sugar. 

My mistake was that I never tried the PB endurance bottled product until it was too late ( i think it was september or october) and I did not like it. since they have the bottled product in the bike course,  what i did was to mix two bottles of powder at tripple the strenght and just pick up water on the bike course.  Before the aid stations, I would pour 1/3 of the bottle in my aero bottle and fill the rest with fresh water.  It worked great.  

on the run course they had the powder mix but the have it at full strengh (according to my taste) so I would pick up a cup of PB mix and a cup of water and mix them myself. (yea, I walked most of aid stations)

Good luck

2011-03-25 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
ironman perform...simply gross but i had to stomach it...the end.
2011-03-25 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3414169

Veteran
Vicksburg

trix - 2011-03-25 12:14 PM ironman perform...simply gross but i had to stomach it...the end.

x2, 

WTC made a terrible mistake from this athletes standpoint switching from GE.

2011-03-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3414362

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
peewee - 2011-03-25 1:28 PM

trix - 2011-03-25 12:14 PM ironman perform...simply gross but i had to stomach it...the end.

x2, 

WTC made a terrible mistake from this athletes standpoint switching from GE.

When I was volunteering for IMWI, I was handing out Perform at our aid station.  We were told just to shout "GATORADE!" for the triathletes.  Some of them would stop and be like, "you really have Gatorade?" and then when they saw the bottles of Perform, they would just keep running without taking any.  A number of them refused to take it.  Some who did take it were really mad that it wasn't actually Gatorade.  Long story short, we learned our lesson!

2011-03-25 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

[rant]

Races using "special" drinks really pisses me off. I agree that one should train with what will be on the course. It makes sense. Race directors and product manufacturers know people will do this, so they partner with each other and create an otherwise non existent demand for a given product. These "special" products are generally hard to find and more expensive that good old Gatorade. Even the Gatorade Endurance formula falls into the "special" category.

I had to hunt down and buy up supplies of GE since they used that at the Philly marathon. I had to buy Heed mix and train with that nasty stuff becasue they used it at Savageman. Now I'll have to buy this Perform crap for IMLP.

I know, I could carry all my own stuff but that is such a pain in the butt. Living off the course is so much easier.

Stop it already! Yes, I'm looking at you WTC!

[/rant]

2011-03-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3414428

User image

Expert
CenTex

I appear to be in the minority but I kind of like it.  My stomach does not digest any Gatorade product well.  (I think there's too much sugar in it for me.)  I trained all last year, through the TX summer using Perform so that I could live off the course in Louisville and it worked off for me.  (Except for the fact that they ran out of everything to drink on the bike course, but that's another story.)

To each his/her own but I can drink it without any problems. 

2011-03-25 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
I have been thinking about the situations I have been using Perform, and may have figured out what the issue is.

I need to start looking at the Perform as nutrition and not as solo hydration.  When I have been having the GI issues, the Perform was my only liquid (using it on shorter rides and runs).  On my long rides where I mostly use water and supplement with the Perform I seem to be OK.  So maybe the issues are self-inflicted.

BTW - I do like the taste of the drink so hope this is indeed the issue and I can continue to use it.

2011-03-25 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore

They sent me a free case of it when i signed up for a 70.3 that was serving it last year.  I guess I'm lucky - I really liked it.  My only issues seem to stem from certain solids and running (Cliff Bars I finally figured out are no good for me).

Maybe try just drinking it during non training to see if it has the same effects.  You might be able to differentiate the effects of training and the drink, i.e. if you still feel gross after, you know it's the drink, if not, it may be the training.  If it's the latter, try easing it into easier workouts (perhaps some that not long/intense enough that you'd usually drink anything during them).  If you can't ease it into easy workouts, you might have your answer about using it on raceday.

2011-03-25 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty

I love it. carry it in all my bottles whether i'm at the pool, riding, or running (over an hour). on long runs and rides i mix in Base Performance products. out of everything i've tried this stuff seems pretty docile. i think the posters that didn't like it may have some picky stomachs. of course i can eat Taco Bell and train a few hours later and not have any "symptoms" afterwards haha.

are you mixing it according to the instructions or putting more than required? too much could possibly be a bad thing. maybe. just thinking out loud.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Perform and GI Issues Rss Feed