City of Temple
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 48s
Overall Rank = 61/103
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had my oatmeal, coffee and Immodium. Drove over to the race site and picked up my packet.
Event warmup:

None. Stood around and talked to Tammy and her hubby, used the bathroom (which amazingly was a REAL bathroom and not a port-a-potty and had NO lines!) then we walked the .4 miles to the start. Had a Gu and water 15 minutes prior to race start.
Run
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to break an hour and I knew I'd have to hold about a 9:37/mile pace to do that. Started off well, small steps and fast cadence, keeping up with the crowd. At about 1/2 mile I checked my Garmin and my pace was 9:05! WHOA, slow down! I eased back a bit and was averaging about 9:29/mile. By mile one everyone had thinned out and I caught up to and passed a couple of people and then ended up running side by side with one girl for about 2.5 miles. At one point she turned and said she liked my pace! I was glad she was there, I think I kept it up because I didn't want to fall behind her (oh, she was like 22 years old!). I walked through the second water station as I had just finished gagging down Gu #2 and really needed the water. This put my pace to 9:50/mile. Caught back up with the 22 year old, and about 1/2 mile later she dropped back and I continued on. Really felt like walking, but kept going and was able to sprint the last .1 miles across the finish line where Tammy was waiting for me! Missed beating that one hour mark by 48 seconds, but with the warm and humid weather, I really think I left it all out there and this was the best race I could manage, I was happy with it.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go out a little slower and then try to pick it up the second half?
Post race
Warm down:

None... got some Gatorade, water and a banana and stood around talking to Tammy and a girl we met that just arrived in our area... we're trying to recruit her to BT... she seemed very interested. Waited for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm, my running!! I've had huge improvements lately, need to keep the training volume up, maybe even more, and keep working on the speedwork! The weather was a factor too... if it had been 50 out, I think I could have broken that hour!

Event comments:

This was a great little local race. I like going to the local races and now seeing people I know, that I've met through the running or tri community. Tammy had a great race too and took 2nd AG!! So we both rocked it!! Her time rocked more than mine, but hell, she's a youngster, ha ha!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:48 | 06.2 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 61/103
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back loop along a hike and bike trail, almost flat, partially in the open and partially through a wooded area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-26 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Spring Chicken 10K

2011-03-26 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3415846

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Spring Chicken 10K
Um yeah, that photo is the award... no medals, just a golden chicken....
2011-03-26 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3415846

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Spring Chicken 10K
Sounds like you had a great race and what more could a girl want other than a golden chicken!?? LOL!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Chicken 10K Rss Feed