General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Syracuse 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-27 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
Subject: Syracuse 70.3

I am moving to West Point, NY in 2 months and training up for IMAZ.  I am looking for a tune-up HIM, and eyeing the Syracuse 70.3.  I read the race reports from last year, and it appears to be an organized race.  I have also noticed there is no thread and no discussion about this years race.   

Anyone on this forum have any insight on this race??  Anyone doing this race?  Any idea when the race usually fills?

BTW, I am excited to move up to the Hudson River Valley.  I am coming from Colorado and the cycling looks comparable, if not, better!!!!   Can't Wait!!!!!

Thanks,

Chris

2011-03-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3416956

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Syracuse 70.3
I’m doing this one.
My research consisted of: reading the race reports on BT and talking to a couple of people I saw at other races last year who had done it.
It was between this one, the IM70.3 in the Poconos, and Bassman Half in South Jersey in September. Basically, this was the most convenient. I have family in the area. It’s still a long haul from NYC and I’m not looking forward to the long check-in procedure. I’ll probably have to drive up Friday.

Are you sure there's no thread? I thought I had seen one. I bet it fills up late if at all. There are tons of 70.3's now, and this one is still pretty new and has a few things that make it less desirable (only in it's second year, point to point race, late in the year, urban setting, potentially cold water swim, not a tourist destination). I did notice that the cost goes up on April 1, so you should hurry if you're thinking about it.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2011-03-28 1:01 PM
2011-03-30 8:43 PM

New user
Syracuse
I did the 70.3 in my hometown of Syracuse last year. Was my first tri so not much to compare it to. It was a great race for me and I would recommend it highly. The countryside you bike and run through is nice. A challenging bike course with lots of climbing the first 10 miles of the bike. The run course is changing this year and the race won't be a point to point. It will start and finish in a county park. The swim is in a reservoir which last year was nearly calm the 5 times I swam in it. Temperatures will below normal for the race last year and had some people complaining. I wore a wetsuit and while cool, was fine. Didn't need much fuilds during the race because of that and some fog and drizzle around that day. With the run no longer going through the busy streets of the city of Syracuse it should be a better race. plus better for spectators who can stay at the park the whole race. Also, I think I saw the price increase has been moved on the website until late April, it said march before. So I am holding off until the end of next month to register. Last year was a big field but I don't think it sold out at all. Good luck and hope to see you at the race!
2011-03-31 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I didn’t realize they had changed the course so that it’s not a point-to-point anymore. While I generally like urban run courses, as opposed to running around a park, I do like not having all the logistical crap that goes with a point-to-point race. OTOH, since mandatory check in is still at the Holiday Inn by the airport and the bike check in is 20 miles away at the park, it still means that I either have to get to Syracuse on Friday or else spend all day Saturday running around getting registered and set up in transition.
2011-04-05 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the info.  I noticed the price increase is not until the end of this month, but will probably register around mid month.  
2011-04-06 11:21 PM

User image

New York
I've registered for it.  It'll be my 1st 70.3. 

2011-04-11 12:39 PM

new run course and not point to point.  Now I am interested again.  Did it last year and was blah.  Did not feel the ironman electricity that you do when you go to a place like lake placid.
2011-04-12 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3440176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

IMO this is an outstanding venue. Challengin bike and potential for a very fast run. Last year's bike was a little sketchy because of the rain and fog so if you wanted to go fast you needed to be ok with taking risks.

The West Point area will have some great training opportunities. My folks live up that way and I make a point to always pack the bike when I go vist, some great riding.

Here's a link to my race report from Syracuse last year, hopefully you find it helpful:

??www.wontz.blogspot.com/2010/10/syracuse-703-race-report.html

Enjoy your training!

2011-04-16 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3443306

User image

Veteran
tri_sport19 - 2011-04-12 6:42 PM

IMO this is an outstanding venue. Challengin bike and potential for a very fast run. Last year's bike was a little sketchy because of the rain and fog so if you wanted to go fast you needed to be ok with taking risks.

The West Point area will have some great training opportunities. My folks live up that way and I make a point to always pack the bike when I go vist, some great riding.

Here's a link to my race report from Syracuse last year, hopefully you find it helpful:

??www.wontz.blogspot.com/2010/10/syracuse-703-race-report.html

Enjoy your training!

Thanks for the read, and strong race!!!

I am officially registered now.

2011-05-01 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

I can't believe I haven't looked in the NY section sooner.  I just signed up for this one (which will be my first HIM).  I have been watching the other Ironman Race section and the Syracuse 70.3 hasn't been updated since the race last year.  I hope to make the trip over a couple times this summer to test out the track, since I'm in Rochester it will be a little easier to do.  I see that they changed the run portion.  Does anybody know the new area of run portion? 

Jason

2011-05-03 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3449848

Extreme Veteran

<hijack>
BTW, for a couple route suggestions (not as much towards west point, lots more towards poughkeepsie/new paltz) you can go here. You'll surely find the cycling in the hudson valley area to be awesome. I never get tired of the hudson river views. I hope you like hills, as they're impossible to avoid in the area.
</hijack>

2011-05-04 5:52 PM

User image

Buffalo, NY

I'll probably race this, this year.  I raced Syracuse last year too.

A few points to note about the course and weekend:

1. Swim is cold.  I think it's because the reservoir is pretty deep, I'm sure there is an easy answer to this but it was face-numbing cold.

2. The bike has some early hills and I counted no less than 12 people who had dropped their chain in the first few miles.  Be ready to gear down quickly in the very beginning.

3. Last year's run was awful.  The first few miles were rolling and beautiful but running down Erie Blvd was just horrendous with all the traffic and nothing but the aid stations to look forward to.  Seeing the Fleet Feet tents was such a sight for sore eyes every mile.  This sound be better this year with the course near the swim.

4. Packet pick up is nowhere near transition as noted above.  Give yourself time.

5. Get to transition the morning of the race EARLY, EARLY, EARLY!!!!  If I remember correctly they postponed the start of the race by a good 30 minutes as traffic was backed up for miles on the one lane country road.  Athletes were spring from over a mile down the road while significant others took the wheel for them.  Because of the late start they crammed all the waves in super close to each other so it started feeling like an 140.6 swim out there.  Hopefully they learned from this for this coming year's race.

All that said.  I've been to much better races, honestly, this race doesn't grade real high for me except most of the course is beautiful.  If the race wasn't so convenient for me to travel to I wouldn't race it.

My two cents.

2011-05-05 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3482468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
piratenick - 2011-05-04 5:52 PM

I'll probably race this, this year.  I raced Syracuse last year too.

A few points to note about the course and weekend:

1. Swim is cold.  I think it's because the reservoir is pretty deep, I'm sure there is an easy answer to this but it was face-numbing cold.

2. The bike has some early hills and I counted no less than 12 people who had dropped their chain in the first few miles.  Be ready to gear down quickly in the very beginning.

3. Last year's run was awful.  The first few miles were rolling and beautiful but running down Erie Blvd was just horrendous with all the traffic and nothing but the aid stations to look forward to.  Seeing the Fleet Feet tents was such a sight for sore eyes every mile.  This sound be better this year with the course near the swim.

4. Packet pick up is nowhere near transition as noted above.  Give yourself time.

5. Get to transition the morning of the race EARLY, EARLY, EARLY!!!!  If I remember correctly they postponed the start of the race by a good 30 minutes as traffic was backed up for miles on the one lane country road.  Athletes were spring from over a mile down the road while significant others took the wheel for them.  Because of the late start they crammed all the waves in super close to each other so it started feeling like an 140.6 swim out there.  Hopefully they learned from this for this coming year's race.

All that said.  I've been to much better races, honestly, this race doesn't grade real high for me except most of the course is beautiful.  If the race wasn't so convenient for me to travel to I wouldn't race it.

My two cents.

Great info, so for the Hotel would you stay closer to the Liverpool Hotel (all the pre race stuff) or closer to the park?  I think it's like 20 something miles apart. 

2011-05-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3483598

User image

Buffalo, NY
I choose to stay closer to the park. I timed it so I could go the pack pick-up on my way into town and that was the only reason and time I stopped there. I heard rumors the buses to take athletes from the host hotel in the AM were scheduled very poorly too. Or at least too many people waited too late to get one. I'm sure the race peeps will learn from last yr because it was the first time but I would still be cautious.
2011-05-23 7:36 PM

User image

I did it last year so I am not doing it this year! They did have the best potra-potties of any race I have been too...

Just an FYI, you do need to get to transition super early or you will be stuck in traffic....how ever, if you look at a map and come in the opposite or "back way" , you will get there a lot faster. I think most people stayed in Syracuse and came the same way... but you could jump on the highway (81) and go south to LaFayette and cut over to Apulia Rd, that way you are going to the park from the South....Just a thought!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Syracuse 70.3 Rss Feed