United States
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 05m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove into the ATL. A quick drive in from Decatur. My friend was a sponsor so she got us free parking at the ACS. We walked down to the Embassy Suites and stored our gear with her. Beer and all. Then headed down to the corrals. We decided to start right in front of the hotel.
Event warmup:

Ate a chia seed muffin. Gluten-free!
Run
  • 2h 05m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran with a friend who hasn't been training as much. He's been suffering from some mechanics and injuries since running this race last year to a PR. We had a really enjoyable start and chatted and kept a reasonable pace. We ran together for a little over 9 miles and he told me to split after we left the park. I was going to try and get in under 2 hrs but felt that I waited too long. I ran negative splits in from the park for the last 4 miles which I was very proud of even though I was over the 2 hr mark. A very fun day with a training pal.
What would you do differently?:

I could train more. Start up in my corral. Race harder. But frankly I still have weight to lose that I've put on since IM FL. Also, it just wasn't what I was there for this time. I truly enjoyed not dropping the hammer and my kidneys on this one.
Post race
Warm down:

Travelled through the park and back to the Embassy Suites. Showered, grabbed some beer and relaxed. Other friends showed up. We waited for the girls to finish the marathon. Excellent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Desire.

Event comments:

This was the best running of this event yet. Hats off to Publix for stepping in. If this is any indication, this will continue to be a better race in the future. And by far the best weather ever in the history of this event.

Last updated: 2011-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
My garmin as me at 13.2 and my ave at 9:27/mi. Who knows?
Course: Same counter-clockwise block through various neighborhoods in the ATL. Hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes