General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes - On in transition or clipped to bike??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-31 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
Farmington Hills
Subject: Bike shoes - On in transition or clipped to bike???

Buying my first pair of Tri bike shoes, not sure which ones yet and will probably have to go through the ritual of falling off once or twice before I get the hang of clipping out quickly.

As I begin to practice with them, is it preferred to put them on and run with them in transition or have them already clipped to the bike?

I'd probably have problems both ways. If I ran with them on the varying conditions for each race,

running on concrete or through mud etc, I could damage them or the mud could hamper me clipping them in.

Just trying to learn from anyone's experience.

Thanks

2011-03-31 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3423473

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Bike shoes - On in transition or clipped to bike???

Just a matter of personal preference I think.  If you're doing a sprint tri then you'll likely save time by leaving them clipped in.  If you're doing an HIM or IM then the few seconds it saves you probably won't matter....unless you're a pro.

I put my shoes on and run with them - but that's just me.  I've never had an issue with the clips breaking or jamming up.  If you do end up deciding to leave them clipped in, then the best advice I could give is practice, practice, practice.  I've seen plenty of people bite it during a running mount and I've seen just as many (including myself) crash during a flying dismount

2011-03-31 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
The first thing to realize is that if your new to clip in pedals its not a matter if you will fall but when and how many times. Just don't get hurt in the process thou it does bruise the ego a bit.Different strokes for different folks. I don't feel like I get my shoes on the way I like them if I leave them on the bike so I just throw them on and jog with the bike to the mount line. At a very muddy and stormy Muncie I carried the shoes and put them on past the mount line so I had no mud issues with the cleat. I always exit my shoes prior to the dismount line so I can do the flying dismount to make T2 nice and quick.Some races won't allow you to mount your shoes. I think Steelhead did something like that in 08 not sure if that's still the norm.Either way practice this summer and find what works for you.
2011-03-31 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3423571

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
ericcooper - 2011-03-31 1:12 PM

If you do end up deciding to leave them clipped in, then the best advice I could give is practice, practice, practice.  I've seen plenty of people bite it during a running mount and I've seen just as many (including myself) crash during a flying dismount

+1... definitely practice first on a *soft* surface like grass while going slow.  When I first practicing flying dismounts, I completely bit the dust a few times.  Biggest thing that helped me was actually trying the flying dismount with normal running shoes first and getting the motion of swinging your leg over and then putting your foot down and running with your bike without having to worry about getting your feet out of your shoes.  Then, progress up from there.  To some people, it comes much more naturally; others it takes much more practice and coordination.

2011-03-31 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

I'll add that flying in with the shoes clipped in scared the heck out of me, to the point that I went with MTB shoes over road shoes so it would be easier to run from T1.  I've decided that 2011 will be the year of more speed (I had 2 AG 4ths last year by less than 4 seconds behind 3rd), so I upgraded to tri shoes and clips.  I've simulated the mount and dismount each trainer ride this Winter and, if the weather ever breaks, will be practicing in the grass and moving up to pavement as I get comfortable. 

On a realted note, anyone see the Tri Clips ad on Facebook?  I watched the video and I could see those things getting wrapped in the rear spokes.  Seems like thin rubber bands are still the best option. 

2011-04-08 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3423637

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
AeroBaldness - 2011-03-31 1:43 PM

Seems like thin rubber bands are still the best option. 

This.

Also there is nothing worse than a fast dismount, only to land flat on your tangled up in your bike because the awesome carbon fiber soles of your racing shoes had no traction on the wet pavement.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes - On in transition or clipped to bike??? Rss Feed