Bicycling Western Australia
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 21s
Overall Rank = 13/28
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I almost didn't do this race - last night Jacob had a 39.5C fever. Luckily it responded well to Panadol. It spiked again at 3am but he seemed fine in the morning so Sef & I decided it would be OK for me to go.

Waroona is a 250km round trip from where I live! Thats 2 1/2 hours of driving! It was a touch far. I left home at 8am and got home at 2pm. Thats a long time to be away from Sef & Jacob. Sef was a bit grumpy with me going away, even though we'd discussed it in length beforehand and he'd been OK at the time with me going. Its hard on him when I work Friday and Saturday and then I am gone most of Sunday too! I am grateful I was able to do this race.

Cyclo Sportif is a series of races organised by Bicycling WA. You ride over a course in groups of 4-9 riders. Only one has a timing chip so the idea is to stick together. I rode with the Wellbeings team (my triathlon club) and there was 5 of us.
Event warmup:

Got there with 30 mins to spare. Went to the toilet, suncreamed up, found my team and off we went!
Bike
  • 2h 06m 44s
  • 51.8 kms
  • 24.52 km/hr
Comments:

Apparently this course was the most popular Cyclo course last year. I can see why - it was very scenic and there weren't many cars on the road. Scenery aside, it was a very hilly course, and bloody hot - we didn't start until 10am so the sun was well and truly out in force. The race starts with 25 mins uphill at 12-15 kmhr. Yep. It got a bit better after that, with some downhills, but there was a lot of climbing. I got through 2 full bidons of Gatorade and could have had more. There were times where I got dizzy from the heat. I am not a good climber so was the slowest out of my team on the hills, but I was the best at downhill, so I easily caught up with them once we got over the crests. So I kept up. I've got to take my hats off to my team mates - they're a bunch of women 50+ years old and they're bloody fit and fast. Definitely people to look up to. Anyway after 45k of hot hard hilly work, we got to fly down the hill that we had crawled up at the beginning of the race - my max speed was 57.4 kmhr. Woo hoo!

Our team came 13th out of 28 - I'm happy with that!
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. My bike fitness it pretty good at the moment. I was pleased with my performance. If I didn't have a child and a husband and a part time job I would hit the hills on weekends to train but thats just not going to happen LOL. So given that I can only do what I can do, I am happy.
Post race
Warm down:

There's always a lunch after the event but I just got straight back in the car and drove home. I stopped for petrol and also stopped at the Pinjarra bakery to get Sef his favourite vanilla slice - just a little sweetener to make up for me being away :-)

When I got home Sef had his parents over for lunch. Jacob's temperature started to spike again 39C so I gave him more Panadol. He's otherwise fine and I'm pretty sure its the vaccine but I'll be taking him to the doctor if this goes on longer than another 24 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to get stronger legs and lose some weight to get better at hills.

Event comments:

I like Cyclo Sportif. There will be a race every 4-6 weeks over winter. I'd like to do quite a few of them.

Last updated: 2011-03-21 12:00 AM
Biking
02:06:44 | 51.8 kms | 24.52 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/28
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back hilly course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-04-03 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Cyclo Sportif Waroona

2011-04-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3427232

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Cyclo Sportif Waroona

sounds like a good race - nice job!

i'm glad you got to go

2011-04-04 12:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth

Well done mate - solid ride and a good lead up to Busso!! I had a few mates do it also and they said it was really tough out there. Having poor Jacob sick must have been in your mind the entire time!

2011-04-04 1:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Well done Magda - great ride out there.  I had a friend do it, and he said the same things about the heat and hills....

Looks like you're getting good and strong in the lead up to Busso.

Also hope Jacob recovers soon from the nasty jabs!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cyclo Sportif Waroona Rss Feed