General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kemah, Texas
United States
Onurleft Event Management, LLC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 48s
Overall Rank = 9/420
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/44
Pre-race routine:

Had everything packed the night before but didn't get to bed until 11:30, so only 4.5 hours of sleep. Ended up leaving the house later than I liked, but got some dry cereal in me, some gatorade and a real coke. Got to race and picked up packet and set up in transition with not alot of time to get in a run and swim.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1.5 miles and felt good. Stomach tightness I've had over the past few days felt much better. No swimming. Stood around and talked with Pete, Scott and Jay.
Swim
  • 08m 48s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the far outside and got out pretty quick but realized I wasn't swimming straight about 100 yards into the race when I realized I was now on the inside of the course. Water looked flat from shore but swimming in the bay it's never completely flat. Swam well considering the small waves. I imagine more of the same next weekend at IMTExas 70.3.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Got congested trying to get up the ramps out of the water and over the timing mats to get into T1. No problems with getting out of the wetsuit stripers; volunteers did a great job. No problems running to transition on carpets and finding bike. All I had to do was put on helmet, glasses and belt. My HR was a little high coming out of the water....169 dropping to 158 after out of transition.

Everything was good.
Bike
  • 31m 8s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 23.90 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well. Despite the results showing 12 miles, it was closer to 12.4/12.5 per my garmin, which would have made my average close to 24mph.

I thought I had a decent swim and figured I was in second or third coming off the bike. Passed one person in age group pretty early out of transition. Got passed by one person on the entire ride, which was Andrew in the 45-49AG. He passed me at about mile 6 or so and I kept him within eyesight for an additional mile or two before he disappeared. Bike pace felt comfortable and hard but like I had enough in me for a decent run.

Didn't have race wheels...coming in next week...fingers crossed!! I wondered how much of a difference that would have made in terms of my own speed. Jet 6/Jet 9 Flamme Rouge hurry up!!!

Drank about 1/2 of one bottle of EFS on the bike.

Nothing. I rode my own race, I paid attention to my body and my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Everything felt good. Helmet off, hat on, shoes on, no socks, pick up water bottle. Race belt already on. How do some of these people get out of transition in :35 seconds, I'll never know.

Nothing.
Run
  • 20m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Just out of transition I drank a couple of gulps from my water bottle, poured the rest on me and threw it away. Poured water on me at the next stop and managed to pour some lemon-line accelerade in my face...by accident. It doesn't cool you down, it just burns the eyes. I don't recommend it. Running the boardwalk was cool but lots of turns.

Again, my weakest leg of the race but was able to keep up the speed so no one in my age group other than Pete passed me and he was flying and I had no chance on hanging on.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water. Hung out until results were posted. Saw a friend who wrecked his bike at about mile 6 and shoulder, arm and hip were bright red. His bike didn't look too bad either. Did a 3-mile cool down run, then grabbed some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This was my best sprint race to date. My fitness has improved immensely from last year b/c of the amount of time I've been training for IMTexas in May.

Event comments:

Great race, Great location and Great weather. This was my 3rd Onurmark event over last three race seasons and they've all been quality races, well organized, good info, good courses, good safety and pretty good food after the race.

I gotta say, the blue tech shirt is probably my favorite shirt I've received in a race.

Last updated: 2010-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:48 | 547 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/44
Overall: 0/420
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: U-shaped course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:08 | 12.4 miles | 23.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/44
Ave HR was 161 for the bike Ave Power was 250w Ave Cdence was 94rpm
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty straight out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:42 | 03.1 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/44
My foot pod calculated the run a little shorter at 3.01 and my first two mile splits 6:57, 6:56 and the last mile was 6:45. I'll just say my foot pod needed to be recalibrated. I've never run 20:42 for a 5k in a sprint...or in a stand-alone tri. Wonder what other people thought. AHR was about 169 during the run, below LT at 178bp. Was 170+ for the last 4' of the run.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-03 1:15 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon

2011-04-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3427523

User image

Veteran
SE TX
Subject: RE: Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon
Nice report, and GREAT race! Good luck this weekend!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway to the Bay Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed