Tradewinds
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 28s
Overall Rank = 19/65
Age Group = M18-34
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, packed everything up, and headed to the race site. Pit stop at McDonalds on the way to lose some weight.
Event warmup:

Rode up the back side of the course for about 15 minutes. Legs were still tired from yesterday's ride, so I didn't want to overdo it. Broke into a slight sweat.
Bike
  • 23m 28s
  • 4.39 miles
  • 11.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out hard the first 2 mintutes to set the tone, then quickly settled into my race effort. I was using my 404 rear for the first time in a race, so no power numbers for me to pace myself by. It's a good thing I took the time to ride the course about 5 times in the past 2 weeks just to get myself familiar with the switchbacks and grade changes.

Once getting into the tree cover though, I quickly realized my GPS was giving funky speed numbers (as expected), but my speed sensor wasn't compensating. I didn't check it prior, and post race, I did realize it wasn't reading at all. So not only did I not have any power numbers, I didn't have any reliable speed numbers to go by. Oh well, I suppose it's good that I just try and gauge myself on effort.

Effort is hard, but mentally I felt strong. At no point was I willing to ease up. The course isn't as steep the second half, and I really tried to make sure I kept up the pressure by staying in a higher gear.

As I approached the finish, I misjudged how much distance I had left. I could have gone all out maybe about 20 seconds sooner, but I finished strong.

Very pleased with my time. I was shooting for 24 minutes. My best time in training was 25:10, but my legs were already fried before that training session. Beat a friend of mine who's a little stronger than me by 26 seconds, but he raced a sub 41 minute 10k yesterday. Another guy who I know is really strong only beat me by 5 seconds. Times were a lot slower than last year. Winning time was 19:52, where the same guy did it in 18:34 last year...in pouring rain. Winds were a bit high, but most of the course is sheltered by trees.
What would you do differently?:

More practice on the course. I got better with each time I rode it. A few more rides on the course and I know I could shave off 10-15 seconds.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited at the top for other friends to finish. Then rode back down and waited for awards. Decided to do another loop of the course afterwards with 3 others...two of which did not race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hammering too hard on Saturday, and not enough experience on the course.

Event comments:

Good race

Last updated: 2011-04-01 12:00 AM
Biking
00:23:28 | 04.39 miles | 11.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 19/65
Performance: Good
Avg HR 178
Wind: Some
Course: About a 4.4 mile all uphill climb from Makiki Heights Drive to the top of Tantalus Drive. About 1440 feet of climbing through forrested areas with tons of switchbacks.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-03 7:26 PM

User image

Subject: Tantalus Time Trial

2011-04-03 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3427896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Tantalus Time Trial
This sounds like a really cool uphill TT. Congrats, sounds like your biking is getting ridiculously strong. :D
2011-04-03 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3427933

User image

Veteran
Nice job on the climb J have fun with the training coming up.
2011-04-03 9:13 PM

User image

Great job man! Sounds like it was alot of fun.
2011-04-04 4:38 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Sounds like a good race to me but I couldn't tell you what it's like to climb either. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tantalus Time Trial Rss Feed