Ironman North America
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45, quick, rinse-off shower, meditate, tea, dry cereal made oatmeal to eat on the way there. Got there, said hellos to friends and set up transition. Did some dynamic warm-ups, lunges, stretches, etc. Hung out with friends and then women my AG. God, we're getting old. They put all of us together -- lots of wrinkles. :)

Ate some oatmeal on the way there, but forgot my spoon so just "drank" it. Ate a cliff bar about 30 minutes before the swim start. Got to transition around 5:30 and I didn't start until 7:30.
Event warmup:

Dynamic warm ups. Walking around, stretching, waiting in porta potty line. I put some aquaphor on my face and tops of feet to help with the colder water temp. and wore socks right up to the time I was getting in the water and just discarded them, along with everyone else's, by the fence. I was pretty relaxed and "in the moment" with it all.
Swim
  • 42m 55s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were all treading water and before I knew it the horn went off and so did we. Started a bit outside and in the middle. A little scrum in the start but I'm learning to "just keep swimming" like Dory. No freaking out, no anxiety, just swam. Didn't have to stop at ALL! No breast stroke. Just kept finding feet to draft off of, then I'd pass and find another set. First time I've really been able to do that. The first 1/2 seemed to take a while. Then once we rounded the buoys to head back in we had the current with us and you could really tell the difference. Once we got closer to open ocean the waves picked up and I was loving it! I realize how much I miss swimming in the ocean. There were some people from previous waves having a tough time and I felt badly for them. Got passed by some fast guys from the wave behind us, but I just found some room and tried to ride their wakes.

Swam into the harbor and great vols were there to help pull us up the boat ramp and got our wetsuits unzipped and it was down to my waist by the time I was at the top of the ramp. Awesome! Ran taking my goggles and caps off and earplugs out, passing some folks along the way. It's always such a great feeling to finish the swim and be running towards the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 06m 24s
Comments:

This is a HIM and a training race, I was not going to break any speed records. My time was longer because of getting the wetsuit stuck on my heels and the timing chip. I even had a volunteer trying to pull the thing off and she couldn't get it....but did eventually.

Not have my suit stuck on my heels.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

First part was nice and as per instructions, see how fast you're going and slow down a bit so you don't burn it all up in the first 20 miles. The first steep hill and it's the steepest of the several in the this race is around mile 27-28. Several people walked their bikes up. One guy was weaving back and forth up the road. The grade has to be 16-17% on this first hill. The others are long but not that steep. There was a gnarly-ass headwind the last 15 miles, including going up the last few hills. Once we got back on the flats, I tried pedaling as hard as I could in the hardest gear I could maintain and then I'd back off and then do it again. There were several of us (women) toward the back that kind of kept switching places and passing one another. I was passing a guy and made sure to be way out on the left when I heard the motorcycle race official ride up. He watched me pass and then looked up ahead to a line of cyclists, kind of drafting. But he saw one of these gals who I'd been riding with pass and gave her a penalty for not passing quickly enough. If anything they should have handed out drafting penalties. It was hard not to draft, with all of us in line and trying to hammer it home. She got a 4 minute penalty but took it like a woman and a good sport.

Early on in the ride, around mile 20, some guy said he already just ridden longer than his longest ride. He was already worried about being able to run. I told him "you're not there yet, just focus on this." Then I wondered what the hell was he doing out there without training? Why would you go into a 56 mile bike ride without riding over 20 miles? That's just kind of weird to me.

I would like to be a bit better bike fitness, but that's what I'm working toward so I guess I'm just where I ought to be going into an IM in 3 months. If I could change the wind I would. :)
Transition 2
  • 06m 7s
Comments:

I was glad to be off the bike and ready for the run. Some of my friend who were volunteering in transition came over to chat while I got my stuff together. Decided to take my jacket with me and wear it. Needed to hit the porta potty before so my T2 was much longer than it needed to be, but a girl's gotta do....

? Not have to go to the porta potty.
Run
  • 2h 10m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling really strong. The first 3 miles kind of dragged along though and I thought, hell I've got a long way to go. The next 3 were better as I just focused on my form and staying focused on what I was doing -- running 13.1. I took it a 3-mile segment at a time. Aid stations were well stocked with bananas, water, perform, coke, chips, pretzels, sponges, maybe more. I usually just took water but did have a bit of coke that had too much fizz. I don't drink sodas so probably not the best idea, but it wasn't that much and it didn't seem to be too bad.

The 3rd 3-mile segment was tough. I had just left the turn around and got to see and hear from some support, including son and DH. I wanted to get to the next turn around. I just had to focus on a girl up in front of me, that I wanted to catch up with, and I did and passed her, then I forgot to pick out someone else, so I lost a bit of focus. That's been my issue on this run because it's pretty boring. The last 3 miles weren't too bad, especially because I knew I was on the way in. Overall, I ate 2 gels (more than usual), but they had caffeine and I knew I could benefit as long as my stomach held out, which it did.

I'd exchange sponges at the aid station. they had soaked cold sponges and I'd clean off my hands, wipe my face and neck, then put it in the back top of my shirt. It kind of supported my head and felt comfy. When I went to take it out, it was so warm.

The last 2 miles, I thought, "just two miles" you can do this. My hip, butt leg was hurting some but certainly no worse than it has in the past. I knew this wouldn't be anywhere near as grueling as my last marathon and I took some solace in that. :)

I wasn't as chatty during this run because I was really trying to stay focused. I did at one point ask my son and DH as I ran by and gave them a high five, "now why am I doing this again?" A guy in front of me thought I was talking to him and said "because we can." So right. I didn't tell him I wasn't talking to him because it didn't matter. Later DH said, neither he or my son had an answer for me anyway. :) They're not sure why I do it either.

I felt like my form was pretty good. I was definitely using those arms and core strength in the last few miles.

Maintain focus ALL the way.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, kept walking and meandered through the food tent. They had enough oranges this year, so grabbed a cup of them and a water. The pizza looked disgusting. Don't see how they can eat like that right afterwards. Talked to some volunteers and thanked them for being there.
Got my stuff out of transition and talked to my friends working it, thanking them and just chatting on that endorphin high.

Packed up, headed back toward where I thought my son and DH would be, but apparently, we passed each other because they ended up at transition and I was at the merchandise booth at the other end headed toward my car. Borrowed a guy's phone to call and then we met up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't tapered. This is a training race. That probably inhibited my ability to go faster. I'm not sure if I'm more mature or am losing some mojo but it wasn't about going fast for me yesterday. It was about giving it what I could in each moment. There was one time when I was running and passed a woman with one leg and the # 65 on her calf. She had been hit while riding her bike and lost her leg and was back in an attempt to win her age group. Gotta love that. What do I have to complain about? Absolutely nothing.

Event comments:

Ironman events are well-attended, well staffed and organized. They are the franchise "McDonald's" of traithlon, you know what you're going to get when you sign up for one --- the menu is the same, so to speak.

Great volunteers, good support and well-organized. I do wish the official would have seen the girl with the headphones on both the bike and the run course though. Maybe they did and she was disqualified. I could have used some tunes myself.

It's weird thinking that the next time I suit up for a tri it will be an ironman. I'm becoming more confident I'll be able to finish it and not be dying. I still have some training cycles to go through though. Bring it on!

Last updated: 2010-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:55 | 1931 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full blue seventy
Course: rectangular out to the jetty and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:33:36 | 56 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This is a looped course through Camp Pendleton, out to a campground, across the freeway on an overpass, then back onto base. First part is mellow and fairly flat with a few rollers. Then the steep hill happens once back on base, then flat and rollers again with beautiful mountainous views and a stream and some pretty stands of trees, then military stuff and facilities, then hill and hill and hill, but ahhh the descents are so sweet. Then back toward the main base and toward the harbor.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:10:52 | 13.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops of 6.5 and a little extra straight into the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3 lbs
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-03 11:17 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 California

2011-04-03 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3428156

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California
Good job and good RR, Lynn.  Great work staying within yourself!
2011-04-04 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Sounds like this was a good tune up for your IM.  Nice job keeping a good perspective on the race.  The bike will improve for you, just keep putting in the miles.  Good luck at your "A" race!
2011-04-04 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
way to focus on the run...congrats a on a good training race..
2011-04-04 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Great job out there, you did what you needed to do and had a solid training day. I hope this is a big boost in confidence for your upcoming Full IM. You'll do great.
2011-04-04 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
You put together such a good, solid race all the way through - great job!  A perfect training race for you - keep your momentum going and you'll be ready for your IM!!

2011-04-04 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

WOOT!  Yay Lynn!  :D  Way to hammer it home through the run!! 

2011-04-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3429985

User image

Veteran
Austin
Lynn-Great race report & great race!  I love reading your stuff, it always, always, inspires me.
2011-04-05 3:30 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Amazing amazing job out there ESPECIALLY for a non-taper race! You're going to do just fine at IMCdA! I saw the 65 year old lady too--I didn't know it's because she got hit! She was motivating!

Well done! We'll meet one of these days...

2011-04-05 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Way to go - sounds like you had a great race and that you got some good confidence going into CDA! You will rock it
2011-04-06 5:51 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

awesome!

as always you are an inspiration

2011-04-08 5:32 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

Good work!  It looks like you are right on track for IMCDA.

I like your race report style (ie: staying in the moment and focusing on your core ^_^)

2011-04-09 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile
Good race.  I like the "because we can"
2011-04-10 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Wonderful job Lynn!!!  "I wasn't tapered. This is a training race."  Yeah....a 70.3 mile training race. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed