General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington Athletic Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wilmington Athletic Club Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 59s
Overall Rank = 82/107
Age Group = 65 - 69
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Got there early (6:30AM) to get a good parking place and the best spot on the bike rack. Set up transition area. Changed in the locker room and went to body-marking and chip pick-up. Put on a long sleeved top and walked outside. Couls still see my breath so I went back inside. Once the sun came out I went back out to meet some BTers and try and get used to the cold temps. Didn't really warm up until the run.
Event warmup:

Stood by the pool and jumped up and down until my heart rate was up to 110 or so and that was it!
Swim
  • 07m 5s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I can't believe how I never got into any rhythm. Far too many people putting down unrealistic times.
What would you do differently?:

Concentrate on getting into proper form and ignore everything else.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Still need to get shims for my Speedplays so I just used the platform perdals with my running shoes.

I need to get a proper bike fit and eliminate the knee pain I get with my Speedplays.
Bike
  • 38m 21s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike turned out to be the best part of my race. Usually it's the second best. I think that the cadence work I have been doing is paying off and I know that I used my gearing better than a lot of people.

I have to get a proper bike fit and start using my Speedplay pedals in races.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Well as I already had my running shoes on all I had to do was remember to take my helmet off and grab my number belt.

Nothing, however once I start using my bike shoes this transition will be slower.
Run
  • 31m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

After the hard bike I decided to do the first mile easy, the second normal and the third hard. This worked well since at the beginning of the third mile I realized that if I didn't slow down I could be under 1:20 for the race and this motivation kept me going.

Nothing, this run was perfect for me. I can still get faster with more training and that's good to know.
Post race
Warm down:

Was pretty well fried and that's good. Grabbed a water, talked to Alan from BT and waited for Stacey from BT to finish. Then went to my tri-club tent, got a coke, had a massage and talked to team-mates. A Tri-club is a good thing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only my engine. Need to continue to train (After a couple of days off to recover).

Event comments:

The pool isn't the best and the roads are rough, but this was my first race and I love it. It's usually a small, very friendly crowd.

Last updated: 2011-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:05 | 328 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 82/107
Performance: Below average
The pool swim, as usual, was a mess. The guy in front of me said that he might run part of the swim and he did! However I didn't catch up with him until 200m and then he let me by immediately. I passes two guys and caught up with the guy who started 45 seconds before me.
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Left lane swim in a 25 meter pool. This is a shallow pool and gets very choppy for a pool swim. I never really got into my proper form, oh well, And after all those drills!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:21 | 11.5 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Overall: 67/107
Two laps around the lake. The road surface was extremely rough, but I didn't see anyone flat. Went out really fast to separate myself from my competition and it worked. Had my heart rate up close to max for the first ten minutes. Then I settled into a nice cadence and used my gears well.
Wind: Little
Course: I went hard on the first lap and then hung on for the second. I passed a few people on the small hills by using better gearing and a higher cadence. Had to swerve to miss one car who was pulling out from a side street and hit the lip of a sewer cover. I held my breath hoping I didn't flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:10 | 03.11 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 94/107
Whoohoo! 10 minute miles after a hard bike. I can see sub 10 minute/mile runs in my future. The run has been my weakest segment and I'm getting tired of being passed so often.
Course: Flat out and back around the lake. I probably won't see an easier run course this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-04 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: Wilmington Athletic Club Triathlon
I had my best race so far.  This was a combination of getting a better sleep (4 hours) than usual before a race, relaxing by talking with Alan and Stacey from BT before the race.  And having support from many Tri-Club friends there.

Edited by blynott 2011-04-04 7:39 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington Athletic Club Triathlon Rss Feed