Oceanside, California
United States
Ironman
Total Time = 8h 11m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was suppose to be my "A" race for the year but due to a major knee injury before PF Chang's half in January, I did not even think I would make this race at all. I did not prepare and relied on my experience from IMAZ to get me through mentally and that I was still in OK shape to get me to the finish line.
Event warmup:

Got up early, 3:45, plan was 4:30. Thank to Rick for supplying breakfast fro me as I forgot to plan this one. I also ate the box of Wheaties in the schwag bag, which was good and full of carbs. Ride to transition with Rick from the hotel, about 2 miles. Got set up, hit the bathroom and got ready as I was in the first age group swim wave, which I was thankful for as I would need all the time I could get.
Swim
  • 58m 41s
  • 2165 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was ready for the swim this time mentally. I jumped in and the largest sea lion was swimming right at the start. Looked like an elephant. Freaked out a few people but he swam off. Gun went off and my plan was to not tire myself out. I felt good the entire swim but I was just not moving very fast. Had a major cramp in left calf on way back (which still hurts today) but besides that I am happy with my swim. I have swam faster in the past but I just was not prepared for this one. This was my 7th time in the water since IMAZ. 10 minute improvement over last years swim.
What would you do differently?:

Prepare better.
Transition 1
  • 12m 56s
Comments:

Took my time. Being at the bottom of the swim has it's advantages in T1 as no one else is around and you can relax without getting ran over. Chatted with a few others who had a rough swim. Three of us went out together on the bike. Run to T1 is long and I was a little dizzy from the water so I took my time.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 50m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.57 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to make it up all 3 hills and come in under 4 hours. The ride to the first hill was good and I felt great. I could have pushed it harder but knew what was ahead of me. Averaged 18 MPH the first 25 miles, which I was very happy about. Hit first hill and I felt good and rode the entire hill. I felt it in my right knee and my legs were burning a little. Hit the 2nd hill and 1/2 way up I got off and walked. It just seemed the right thing to do to save my legs for the 3rd hill and the run. 3rd hill, walked also. Major head wind about the last 15 miles or so but I felt good and made my way into T2.

Prepare better. I did beat last years bike by 28 minutes. Also, I enjoyed all 3 aid stations, hit bathroom once and took a few photos. That accounts for about 15 minutes at least. I figure if I could not stop, which is a choice of mine, and get stronger, I could have a decent bike. Goal for 2012 is to come in under 3:30 on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

T2 was good. 3 minute improvement over last year. Only thing I could do differently is run with the bike faster.
Run
  • 3h 06m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

First 3 miles I was at 8-9 minute miles. Then the knee pain hit and it hurt to run. I decided to run walk from here on out and every time I ran it hurt. I did not want to push it and do some major damage to my knee (Tendonitis in the patella). Today my knee is still swollen and hurts. I enjoyed the run and caught up with Kerri for a while and talked with her. She eventually ran off as I could not run for more than 100 yards without pain. I did manage to walk somewhat fast and actually passed a few walkers and a runner or two. I knew this would probably flare up and took 1600 MG of ibuprofren on the bike back to T2. It lasted for 3 miles. Saw Rick a few times and saw Dean and Kim also.

Nothing I could do. I just can't run anymore like I use to.
Post race
Warm down:

Limped into the finish line and it hurt to run across the line, even after walking half way up to it. Went to get some pizza and waited for Rick to come across. Hung out with him for a few, saw Mirinda Carfrae, got a photo with her. Saw a few other male pro's. They said congrats. I told them thanks and that I got my money's worth at every aid station. They got a laugh out of that, but it was true. Overall I improved by 33 minutes from last year. I was hoping to come in between 6-7 hours but knew with my knee that would not happen this year. 2012, maybe.

Event comments:

Food is never warm when I get to the food tent. Guess I need to get there faster.

Last updated: 2010-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:58:41 | 2165 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 12:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:50:35 | 56 miles | 14.57 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:06:02 | 13.1 miles | 14m 12s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-04 6:37 PM

User image

Subject: 70.3 California

2011-04-05 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3429623

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: 70.3 California
Even though your training isn't what you wanted it to be you still improved your time from last year. It also looked like you really had a lot of fun out there. I know i enjoyed your company on the run. Hopefully your knees are feeling better soon.
2011-04-05 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3429623

User image

New user

Subject: RE: 70.3 California
Sounds like your race was much like mine, going in with an injury and lack of training.  Way to push through.  Congratulations on your finish. I hope your knee recovers soon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 70.3 California Rss Feed