United States
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 32m
Overall Rank = 64/161
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Probably a lesson on how not to prepare for a race. I coach my daughters softball team and Friday night we had practice. Got home and had to take son to a soccer friend’s house as he had a soccer tournament to go to that started at the same time as my Tri. Dinner was fast food (oh yes!). Packed my gear in the truck and I was in bed by 10:30pm.
Up at 4:45am with usual breakfast of Diet Pepsi, PB sandwich, orange juice and a banana. Unfortunately while moving some items I slipped and felt my back spasm. Ugh! Not now! Took some ibuprofen and then in the truck for the 50 minute trip. Arrived at the race a little earlier than planned with my back a bit tight.
Event warmup:

Body marked, timing chip, hoodie (I was in the first 80 to register and got a cool hoodie) and off to find my rack. Racks were ordered by race number so found my rack and I was the last one there. Would have been plenty of space but two women decided they needed a huge space for their stuff. Oh well, and planted my bike in the only open spot. If they didn’t like my wheels in their stuff they didn’t say anything. Setup my transition and did my usual pre-race routine of walking the line coming in from the swim, to the bike out, and back to the run exit. Water was wetsuit legal so put my suit on and headed out for a swim. The cold water felt really good on my back and swam a couple of hundred meters and back to shore. Chatted with some racers while the first two waves went out.
Swim
  • 16m 20s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

And we are off! I started towards the front and the first 100meters felt like combat zone but it was fun. I stayed to the outside and really had a pretty clear path in front of me. Eventually the faster swimmers took off and I backed off a bit. The swim was an out and back and going out everything went well. On the way back I kept veering to the left. I knew I was crossing over with my right arm but could not get a good pace when I corrected. I zig-zagged way too much. Eventually hit shore, stood up about three feet too early but started jogging up the hill while unzipping the wetsuit. Took off my goggles and cap and then pulled the wetsuit to my hips (with the goggles and cap in sleeve, got it right!!).
What would you do differently?:

Excellent time for me and my next goal is sub 2:00/100m in open water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Off with wetsuit. Sunglasses on, helmet on, Garmin on and I am off. Jog with bike to dismount. Step on inside pedal and I am off. My transition are usually pretty quick and I was happy with this one. I don’t wear socks but need to get my Garmin 405 mounted on the bike.

Ranked 37th for T1 - Not bad!
Bike
  • 56m 31s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

This race is held at a city called New Roads but their roads are anything but new. Got up to speed and tried to slip feet in shoes. Dang! Forgot to set my straps correctly but got my feet in and I was off. First part of the ride was fairly smooth and I passed more people than passed me. Middle section were rough roads and spent a lot of time trying to pick decent lines. The new carbon frame helped a lot as the ride was a lot better than last year’s race. Hit some pretty good speeds but towards the end hit a couple of spasms in my calf. Popped a couple of Salt stick capsules and they helped. There was some road traffic and ended up passing a couple of cars. On the return I unstrapped my feet and just pedaled with my feet on top of the shoes. Down the hill, flying dismount and back into transition

My ride results surprised me a little. First I did hit my goal of 19mph but I thought I had averaged faster and would have been closer to 19.7. Definitely need to improve here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Rack the bike, lose the helmet, put on socks and shoes (need to learn to run without socks!), grab my race number and a gel and I am off. I put my race number on just before exiting transition.
Run
  • 27m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Start the run and my calfs are tight but my back is very tight. I suck down a gel and just keep going as people are passing me. Slowly things are loosening up and I am picking up speed. First mile I avg 9:20/mm. Pass the aid station and drink a little water to wash down the gel. Starting to pick up steam, hit the turn around and come back. 2nd mile and I am at 8:27mm, much better. I start picking targets and pick up the pace and 3rd mile I am at 7:54 mm. Down the hill, across the finish line, and I am done!

I haven’t done much speed work so I am slow but this was a good run for me. I think if my back had been feeling better I could have hit 26 minutes.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Good race for me overall. I didn’t taper for this as I am still on the HIM plan but that is starting to wind down. 1st place in my AG was less than 6 minutes faster than me so there is hope. I really need to amp up the bike and swim portions. I am really considering making 2012 as my short distance year. I will move to the next AG and doing shorter but faster rides will be a lot easier to train for.

Last updated: 2011-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:20 | 800 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 0/161
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeved Xterra
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average