General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway to the Bay Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gateway to the Bay Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kemah, Texas
United States
Onurleft Event Management, LLC
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 57m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/57
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30. Downed a Beta Alanine, Caffeine Pills, and an electrolyte drink. Jumped in the shower to wake up. Didn't really help too much. I got dressed, checked to make sure I had everything in my transition bag and I was out the door. Parked on site about 4:15 and was at transition to get marked at 4:30. I popped in my headphones and set up my transition area. Once finished I did a little light stretching, put my wetsuit on half way, hit the porta cans and was on my way to the boat. Couldn't take anything with you you weren't planning to swim with so that was the end of the music.

Event warmup:

We were scheduled to be on the boat for a little over half an hour so I saw no reason to warm up and sit in one place for that amount of time. Turned out we were stuck on the boat for a little while longer. My wife said we started 45 minutes or so later than we were supposed to. Once they shut the engines off I did some more light stretching before watching the pros and amateur elites go off.
Swim
  • 32m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Jumping off a paddle boat a mile off shore is a trip. The current was a bit of a help but more from the side so sighting was a bit of an issue. I also got caught off guard by the wave size. They hit me right in the face as I was turning to breathe quite a few times.
What would you do differently?:

Increase swim volume in training. Also learn to calm myself at the gun so that I can settle into a rhythm quicker.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Bike
  • 00m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where it started to go a little sideways. Got to the mount line and I had a little trouble clipping in. Annoyed to say the least. But I was off. I came up on a large line of bikes that were moving much slower than I was. I threw it out to the left, called out I was passing, and then 2 others did the same. I was pushed way to the outside near the lane of traffic. I could either go into the cars, into the rider next to me, or slam the brakes and hope for the best. I slammed the brakes, hit some debris, popped my front tube and ate it. Took me a second to collect myself and it took about 10 minutes to pop a new tube in and put my chain back on. A little bloodied but other than a shattered pair of sunglasses no worse for wear. Had I not lost those 10 minutes I would have averaged 21.34 mph on the ride.

Be more aware of the possible issues around me and... well.... not crash?
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Run
  • 58m 21s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Um yeah. So I did the first 2-2.5 miles at a 7:45 clip, then it dropped off to an 8:15 clip, but when I hit the bridge at just over mile five I started to fall apart. Going over the bridge the first time with the wind wasn't bad. It's a decent incline and I dropped off to a 9:45-10 minute pace. Coming back over the bride against the wind was a different story. I haven't felt like walking in a long time, but until I reached the apex I was toast. I didn't, but damn I was running slow.

Honestly think my IT band injury caught up with me here. Not so much the pain, but the decrease in training miles over the past few months. This won't happen again.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-12-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Straight in to shore
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:02
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 24.85 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:21 | 06.2 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-05 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: Gateway to the Bay Olympic Triathlon

2011-04-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3430237

User image

Veteran
SE TX
Subject: RE: Gateway to the Bay Olympic Triathlon
Way to rock your first Oly! Looking at your overall times, I wouldn't have guessed the IT band issues caught up w/you at all. There is evidence of some impressive work over the off-season.
2011-04-05 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3430446

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Gateway to the Bay Olympic Triathlon

CKTX - 2011-04-05 9:45 AM Way to rock your first Oly! Looking at your overall times, I wouldn't have guessed the IT band issues caught up w/you at all. There is evidence of some impressive work over the off-season.

If I hadn't crashed I would have been pretty happy.  Bridge got me though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway to the Bay Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed