General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash & Dash Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash & Dash Race #1 - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
4 Peaks Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 44s
Overall Rank = 7/69
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, feed dog, eat breakfast, spend 10 minutes in the driveway trying to find the location, drive 2 hours to arrive late.
Event warmup:

Run from parking spot to packet pick-up to transition. Throw on wetsuit, grab goggles, get random dude to zip up my suit as my wave starts. Run into water and try to catch everyone.
Swim
  • 19m 11s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Everyone started in the water but me. I was running from transition about 45 second after they started the race. I was actually supposed to start 5 minutes earlier with the 2KM racers, but arrived too late so they let me switch to the 1KM race.
OWS has been a weakness of mine, so this one felt really good. Despite feeling like an idiot, starting out the back was a really good exercise for me. Passing, navigating, and mixing it up with other swimmers (in a nice way!) was great practice.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race on time!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition time was combined with the swim time. Normally I take it off of my 310XT but I wasn't wearing it. Did I mention how late I arrived?

Had an issue getting the suit off my heels. Stepped on the suit with one foot and lifted my other foot, but kept stepping on the wrong spot! My transition area was a mess too but ended up getting out without too much of a problem.

Pay more attention to where I step on the wetsuit.
Run
  • 28m 33s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good run for me. I started out a little slow but picked it up through the run. Since I had no idea what the course was like or how long it was, I asked at the turn-around if it was the half-way point. That's when I found out we needed to do it twice!

Run faster!!! I need to pick up the pace sooner. I'm waiting too long to get my legs moving and giving up too much time.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and watched people finish. Met up with fellow BT'ers to chat and go for a bike ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For some reason, I felt a little rushed at the beginning. No warm-up, no pre-swim swim, etc. In some ways, it may have been better because I didn't have time to get the pre-race jitters.

Event comments:

The race was a lot of fun. I wish I'd gotten there in time for the 2KM race. The run course was a little odd, being on sidewalks and such, but didn't seem too crowded.

Last updated: 2011-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:11 | 1000 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 10/69
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Flash
Course: Rectangular course around Tempe Town Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:28:33 | 04 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 8/69
Performance: Good
Course: 2 mile out-and-back, two loops. Flat except at the turn-around. Mostly on concrete sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes