United States
OnUrMark
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 49m 57s
Overall Rank = 222/696?
Age Group = 45/-49
Age Group Rank = 30/58
Pre-race routine:

Stayed about a mile from race site. I woke up at 4:00, took a shower, ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich with coffee, got everything ready and left about 4:30. Set up transition area, put on wetsuit and walked to the boat.
Event warmup:

I just sat on the boat and tried to relax. Sipped on some Gatorade and used the restroom (twice).
Swim
  • 32m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

After sitting and waiting it was finally my turn to jump in. Yea! I thought I was ready for the swim but, I was wrong. Twice I ended up on the wrong side of the buoys. I never felt like I got into a smooth rhythm and my sighting sucked, obviously. After what seemed like an eternity I made to the shore for the 1/4 "run" to transition. Thank you wetsuit strippers.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming. Actually practice open water swimming and sighting, for a change. Figure out some way to force myself to breathe to the right so I can see the buoys on each breath.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

After the walk/run to transition I threw my wetsuit down, grabbed camelbak but on glasses and helmet and off I went. No socks, shoes were already clipped so I felt like I did pretty good.

I'm pretty pleased with T1
Bike
  • 1h 18m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride was good with a tail wind and very hard into the wind. Not much else to say.

I figured this part of the race would suck. I did not get in near enough saddle time to prepare for a 25 mile ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Flying dismount looked like a pro. (OK, maybe not a pro.) Got the bike put up, helmet off, hat and number on, socks and shoes and away I went.
Run
  • 55m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started training for the half-marathon I began using the run-walk-run method. I continued that for this run also. My plan was for a 5min run/1min walk. I had a serious side stitch and needed to walk after about 2 minutes into the first mile. I walked for minute working on my side then continued with my 5/1 after that. Legs stopped feeling rubbery after the second mile. I was keeping an 8.5/mile.....until the bridge. Up, down, around, up, then the final downhill and I kicked it into the last gear I had (which was not much). I gave it all I had and I didn't have anything left in the tank after the finish line.

I didn't do any brick sessions before the race. Think I will add those to my training plan before CapTex

Post race
Warm down:

Considering the start time got pushed back and the hotel only gave me a 12:00 check out time, I walked around just a bit to get some feeling in my legs and waited for transition to open back up. Once transition reopened I got my bike and went to the hotel to shower and check out. Had lunch with my wife and daughter at T-bone Toms then came home, took a nap, then had to be at work to finish the last 4 hours of my shift.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training was not near where it should have been prior to this event. I will be putting in more pool and saddle time before the next race. Not just more but better quality, also.

Event comments:

I thought this was a well run event. I just wish I could have hung around and met some of the pros.

Last updated: 2010-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/58
Overall: 0/696?
Performance: Average
AHR 173
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Supposed to be a straight shot form boat to shore
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:12 | 24.85 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/58
Performance: Below average
AHR 160 Wind was from the SSE about 15+mph
Wind: Some
Course: Flat. There were some potholes and cracks but, they were well marked. According to official results I did not have a bike time, just a 1:21.10 T1
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:03 | 06.2 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/58
Performance: Below average
AHR 170 Hoping for closer to 8/mile or better.
Course: Nice run around Kemah and then the bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes