Other Resources My Cup of Joe » tech help with computer/TV/streaming MLB.TV Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-06 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: tech help with computer/TV/streaming MLB.TV

I splurged for MLB.TV so i can watch my beloved Red Sox (even if they aren't exactly preforming right now) all season long.

I need something to hook up to watch from my TV though, I can't sit at my compy for the whole game.  I'm thinking of a few things - a PC/Mac (currently have an iMac in another room), an Apple TV, Samsung Blu-Ray, Roku, Boxee - they all have support to stream MLB.TV.

So I pretty much know what I get with an Apple TV, Samsung Blu Ray, and a PC.  Can anyone make a suggestion on the Roku, Boxee?  I'm less familiar.  I'd like to get some other capabilities too, like netflix basically.  I've been debating a Blu Ray home theater system, which makes the samsung a good, albiet the most expensive, option.  I dont' have an extensive movie library on my compy, but streaming video from it seems like it'd be a cool feature to have.

If you'd suggest a PC/Mac, what exactly would I need?  I'd like it to be a simple set up, and cheap.

Any suggestions based on experience with any of these products?

TIA!

2011-04-06 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3431896

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: tech help with computer/TV/streaming MLB.TV

Hi...

Huge thumbs up on the Roku XDS.

After 12 years of Directv we cut the cord and got a Roku about 5 months ago. Along with an HDTV antenna it's all we need, and we love it (And really love the $120/month savings).

From searching Roku forums a few months ago I understand that last season's MLB streaming package was a bit touch and go, but that this season is much, much better as far as picture quality and reliability. I do not subscribe to the MLB (If my Orioles keep it up I may!), but Netflix, Hulu and Amazon work great in HD and are 99% reliable on my Roku.

We did this as an experiment, and I don't see going back. Especially if the rumors that the NFL may offer ala carte streaming games in out of market networks come true.

Hope it helps, and here is a link to a great resource if you go Roku:

http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28

*Edit- After posting this link I went and read the forum re: MLB/Roku and it appears quite a few users are having early season issues while other are having no trouble at all. The debate is whether connection speed, MLB servers or the Roku are to blame.

Since I don't subscribe to MLB I'll stand by my Roku as a great product review, but definitely read the thread to make an informed choice.

Edited by WaitingGuilty 2011-04-06 11:03 AM
2011-04-06 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
We use the heck out of our ROKU since we also cut our cable. We don't do the MLB TV, though, so I can't say anything about that. We also use the ROKU for Netflix streaming and Amazon streaming but we use the Xbox for ESPN if a game isn't on one of the local channels.
2011-04-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3432376

User image

Master
Baltimore
WaitingGuilty - 2011-04-06 11:54 AM

Hi...

Huge thumbs up on the Roku XDS.

After 12 years of Directv we cut the cord and got a Roku about 5 months ago. Along with an HDTV antenna it's all we need, and we love it (And really love the $120/month savings).

From searching Roku forums a few months ago I understand that last season's MLB streaming package was a bit touch and go, but that this season is much, much better as far as picture quality and reliability. I do not subscribe to the MLB (If my Orioles keep it up I may!), but Netflix, Hulu and Amazon work great in HD and are 99% reliable on my Roku.

We did this as an experiment, and I don't see going back. Especially if the rumors that the NFL may offer ala carte streaming games in out of market networks come true.

Hope it helps, and here is a link to a great resource if you go Roku:

http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28

*Edit- After posting this link I went and read the forum re: MLB/Roku and it appears quite a few users are having early season issues while other are having no trouble at all. The debate is whether connection speed, MLB servers or the Roku are to blame.

Since I don't subscribe to MLB I'll stand by my Roku as a great product review, but definitely read the thread to make an informed choice.

Thanks for the info.  My concern going to streaming only is that sometimes I sit down and don't know what I want to watch and will find some random show/movie/etc.  I feel like I'd lose that with streaming.  Maybe not though?

Also, if the NFL does that I'd be in heaven (or MLB).  I don't care about getting all the games, I just want my Sox and Pats!

2011-04-06 1:05 PM

Extreme Veteran

I'll tell you, I had the same apprehension about channel surfing, because we did plenty of that.

Then I realized that I was basically being told what to watch by the people who did the scheduling. About a week after getting the Roku I no desire to sit down and surf, and I started watching less and less TV. but now when we watch, it's something we want and planned to watch and it's on our schedule.

I also discovered all these awesome shows that I never watched because they were in their 3rd season or whatever and I did not want to miss anything. So in the last 5 months we've watched all the seasons of Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Wire and more through a combo of on demand Netflix and mailed dvds/Amazon.

Also got into shows like Modern Family that I never watched when I had DTV.

2011-04-06 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
I don't think of it like I'm being told what to watch at all.  I end up watching stuff that I like but never would have found unless I was channel surfing.  I keep my DVR very full and can watch the shows I like whenever I want, but sometimes I don't have any shows I want to watch and just want to zone out for a bit and see what's on.  Generally, it's about the time I start about 10 games of Words with Friends on my phone as well.

2011-04-06 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3432645

User image

Payson, AZ
WaitingGuilty - 2011-04-06 11:05 AM

I'll tell you, I had the same apprehension about channel surfing, because we did plenty of that.

Then I realized that I was basically being told what to watch by the people who did the scheduling. About a week after getting the Roku I no desire to sit down and surf, and I started watching less and less TV. but now when we watch, it's something we want and planned to watch and it's on our schedule.

I also discovered all these awesome shows that I never watched because they were in their 3rd season or whatever and I did not want to miss anything. So in the last 5 months we've watched all the seasons of Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Wire and more through a combo of on demand Netflix and mailed dvds/Amazon.

Also got into shows like Modern Family that I never watched when I had DTV.

+whatever on Roku.  I use Hulu+ and Netflix.  But all in all I watch much less TV and enjoy it much more.  If the show is not holding your interest just don't watch it.  It'll still be there later.  But I do not get the baseball package so I can't speak to that.  Now...when they get football...

2011-04-07 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Well, I have 5 days to cancel mlb.tv and with the Red Sox 0-5, that may be my best option Cry

I'm suprised no one is pushing for a media computer to hook up.

2011-04-07 9:26 AM

Extreme Veteran

I've hooked my laptop directly to the LCD TV before via VGA but the picture quality is not good and you need a separate audio cable. I don't know if there is a media cpu with an hdmi out on the market, but unless there is I think the cpu to TV is really not the best way to go.

The streaming boxes are great as they give full HD, have remote controls and in general are just like a cable box.

2011-04-07 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
I'm a huge MLB TV fan. I have it going to my TV through PS3, Apple TV or iPad. Right now (early in the season) PS3 is almost not watchable, this is pretty normal for them. They fix it eventually. Apple TV needs re-hooked up. iPhone and iPad are running the best, better than the computer even.
2011-04-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3434041

User image

Master
Baltimore
WaitingGuilty - 2011-04-07 10:26 AM

I've hooked my laptop directly to the LCD TV before via VGA but the picture quality is not good and you need a separate audio cable. I don't know if there is a media cpu with an hdmi out on the market, but unless there is I think the cpu to TV is really not the best way to go.

The streaming boxes are great as they give full HD, have remote controls and in general are just like a cable box.

yeah, I was thinking an HDMI out would be a prerequisite for using a compy.

2011-04-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3434320

User image

Master
Baltimore

bradword - 2011-04-07 12:21 PM I'm a huge MLB TV fan. I have it going to my TV through PS3, Apple TV or iPad. Right now (early in the season) PS3 is almost not watchable, this is pretty normal for them. They fix it eventually. Apple TV needs re-hooked up. iPhone and iPad are running the best, better than the computer even.

How is the quality/useablity on the Apple TV?  I wanted something I can quickly switch back and forth between it and regular TV during the commercials.

Do you hook the iPad/iPhone up to your tv?  Not sure I could do that and be without Angry Birds for that long.

2011-04-07 3:27 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I use AppleTV and noticed that they now support mlb.tv, but I've never tried it, so can't comment. I watch Netflix a lot and the quality is good. It loads really quickly too.
2011-04-07 5:30 PM

User image

Regular
I use Apple TV and am very happy. I have had no issues when streaming netflix. They did just add MLB TV and NBA.com to their line up. It is nice to be able to get to your itunes library all on your TV. I wish it did have Hulu too, but oh well.

I too would be very interested to see what people have to say about media cpu's. I don't want to be limited to what they preload on these boxes. I have an HP Touchsmart in my bedroom and love that as a TV and computer, they just don't make one big enough to hang in my family room.
2011-04-07 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I have an AppleTV at home that we use for watching all our shows after cutting cable. We use Netflix a ton, iTunes for currently running shows from Fox, and we stream music from our computer (iMac) quite a bit. I use the MLB app on my phone but I live within the blackout area of the SF Giants so I can't watch them live. I'm trying to do the research to have my router go through a VPN so it looks like I live out of the area and then I will not be blacked out.

The other thing I have done with our AppleTV is to Jailbreak it and install ATV Flash Black from firecore.com. This nice bit of software keeps all the original functionality and adds:

- The ability to stream movies from my iMac to the TV using Plex or XBMC and I can use formats not native to the iPhone/iPad/AppleTV.

- LastFM (similar to Pandora)

- A web browser that works great.

- Plus some other things that they are continually working on.

You can also stream movies from your computer to the AppleTV using the AirVideo app on an iPhone or iPad. It also supports most other formats like avi's.

If I was going to add a home theater PC to my setup I would go with the new Mac Mini because it has a HDMI connection that support up to 1920x1200. Add Netflix, XBMC or Plex for movies, a wireless keyboard and mouse, and you would have a pretty nice setup.

Scott
2011-04-08 11:52 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
I don't use MLB.TV, but our system is pretty simple:

Re-purposed Pentium 4 desktop computer ($50-100 on craigslist)
$25 NVidia video card off Craigslist
$55 TV Capture Card off Newegg (WinTV HVR-1250)
$5 DVI->HDMI cable (15') from Monoprice
$3 3.5mm stereo cable (15') from Monoprice

Now we can record OTA TV shows with the capture card, watch streaming internet TV from anywhere a computer can see (Hulu, Netflix, ABC, CBS, etc), or play DVDs all through the computer using Windows Media Center, which is a remarkably fine product and has worked very well for us (say what you will about MS, they got this one right!). A 500GB hard drive fills up pretty quickly, so I downloaded MCEBuddy to convert the 5GB TV show files to roughly 800MB each, buying me some extra time before I have to add more storage.

2011-04-08 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I was leaning Apple TV since I'm sort of loyal to their products, but in the end went a route that no one suggested and got a refurbished Samsung home theater system at a pretty good price.  There were a few reasons - I really wanted the home theater system and I don't know enough/care enough to piece it together so the all-in-one system (and very well rated by CNET) will do just fine.  It's got all the streaming goodies too.

Biggest reason though, talked to my fiancee and she liked the idea of getting the home theater system most, so my decision was actually quite easy!

Thanks again for all the advice (even if I didn't end up following it  )

Edited by jsiegs 2011-04-08 1:13 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » tech help with computer/TV/streaming MLB.TV Rss Feed