Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-09-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3434377

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks
Subject: RE: Chris' Group - Closed

Good to hear from you Chris. I'll update this weekend and let you know how my race goes. I am a little concerned about the run, but have been training the hills and am up to the longer distance. I had never run further than 3.1 before I signed up for this race! The cooler temps will make it alot easier. I'm actually worried that I may be cold on the ride with it being in the low 50's when we start. I am also signed up for a "Women on Weights" workshop the same afternoon! If I don't do it then I'll have to wait another month. I'll sleep good Saturday night!

It took awhile but my husband finally got on the bandwagon! He bought a road bike a few months ago and has been riding with me. He loves it! We have decided to do the Bike Across Kansas in June. Seven days, from the Colorado border to the Missouri border. I have him up to 50 miles but need to get to the point that we can average 65 miles per day. He also started C25K and started week 5 this morning! I'm so proud of him!

As to your training question for this Fall/Winter here's my schedule:

Mon/Wed AM Strength training PM Ride (Spin Class or trainer if weather is bad)

Tues/Thus AM Run PM Swim

Fri PM 1hr Spin Plus Full Body Workout

Sat Run

Sun Long ride (Spin Class or trainer if weather is bad)

Luckily I can be flexible with my schedule and can rearrange things based on the weather. If I have to run indoors I can and if the weather is too bad for cycling I can "fake it" and either go to Spin class or use my traininer. I will also take advatage of any nice days to get in a long ride!

2011-09-12 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks
Hi All! My race on Saturday followed by the Weights Workshop I went to in the afternoon did me in! I was feeling it yesterday! The race was tough! I had trained for hills but had not anticipated that they would be as big and long as they were! Even though it was a Sprint, with a longer run 4.3 miles, I think Long Distance competitors would love it due to the challenging terrain! The swim went great! The hills on the ride were big but managable until I got to the mountain! It was huge and wouldn't quit! I think I could have pushed my bike faster than I was riding it at one point. My left leg cramped again on the run! About 3/4 of mile in. It's not the back of the calf but along the front by my shin. It was rock hard and painful! At first I tried to walk it off but that didn't work. I finally had to stop and stretch/massage it out and then walked it off. After that I was fine but it cost me quite a bit of time. I posted my race report so you are welcome to take a look.
2011-09-14 12:34 AM

User image

Congrats Wendy on finishing what sounds like a really challenging race!!! Way to persevere!!

Sorry I've been MIA, my new job has completely consumed my life. At least I really love it!

I've switched back to half-marathon training for now, but I'm still using my bike to commute and get around and I've got my sights set on a few Olympics for next season. I'll try to fit in at least one swim a week for now, and then after I finish my half in November, I'll balance my training back out.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and your great advice! I am so happy to be a triathlete now!

Does anyone have any races coming up soon or have we entered the off-season?

2011-09-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3682086

User image

Regular

Congrats Wendy! 

You did wonderfully, persevering all the way through the obstacles.  Races are where you learn what you really can do.  A big hill (mountain) like that can put the kabosh on the race for the less motivated.  And you did the right thing with your leg too.  Stopping to massage it and stretch it out probably saved you more time than  trying to continue on with it in its cramped state.  You rock girl!

Tiffany - glad you can pop in from time to time and that if your job is time consuming, at least you love it! 

There are a few more races here in the extreme south, but I think the season is winding up  for most people.  Tell me how you feel about triathlons now that you've had a chance to train and particiapte in some.  Do you love it? Hate it? So-so?Will you continue on?  Will you go longer? Stick with the same distance?  Don't know yet?

Best,

Chris

2011-10-01 2:05 PM

User image

Regular

Back after a wonderful 2 week vacation in Alaska.  What an awesome place, particularly for outdoorsy, active people.  We hiked a LOT!  The temperatures were wonderful - mid 50s - and the rain was glorious.  We had NO complaints about that - most rain we've seen in a year.  Too bad we couldn't arrange for that weather to accompany us home for a while.

Went to the grocery store and discovered good news and bad.  The bad news is that the peach season is over.  That's sad.  But the good news is that the Honeycrisp apples have arrived, and with that event, our fall/winter training season has begun!  It's so much easier for us to train through the mild winters than the scorching summers, especially as we get older.  I suppose we shouldn't schedule our physical activity around food, but the produce corresponds nicely to the seasons so it works for us.  

We have mapped out our training plan and are looking for early spring tri's to work towards.  I think next year I would really like to finally do the one that started this whole thing for us: The Danskin Women's Triathlon at Disney World.  It's a Mother's Day sprint race and just sounds like a lot of fun.  I'd also like to do one in Louisiana and Tennessee (if I can learn how to do hills), and maybe one in the summertime in the northeast like maybe the Pumpkinman in Vermont (I think).  What a great name for a race - that has to be fun!

Any one else looking at fall training and their calendars for next year?

Best,

Chris

2011-10-05 10:37 PM

Veteran

Hello Chris- and everyone,

It seems like ages since I last posted.  I have been so busy with work, family obligations, and two birthdays (one of them was my own). 

Chris- I envy you and your vacation to Alaska.  My family went there about 7 years ago.  It has to be one of the few unspoiled places on the earth.  Gorgeous scenery!  There is SO MUCH to do there, too.  I look forward to a time when we can visit again. 

Funny that you mentioned Honeycrisp apples.  I bought some for the first time last week.  My they're crunchy!  I felt as if the whole office could hear me eating my apple.  I like the taste, and the crunch.

It seems as if the whole universe has conspired against me to keep me from participating in a triathlon.  I finally found a fall sprint triathlon to compete in on October 23.  The date does not conflict with anything!  I have really become a little too laid back about my training- because I had no goal in sight.  I know I won't do my best time, but it should be fun!

The climate is pretty temperate here, so there are usually triathlons all throughout the year.  However, after I complete this one I think I'll wait until spring to do the next one.

I hope you all are well, and enjoying the "off season"

Cathy

2011-10-09 3:30 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Cathy -

Some years are like that.  The key is to not give up - which, clearly, you haven't -  and just keep working towards the next one.  I've had a similar year also with many unexpected interruptions in our plans.  Sometimes real life comes at you fast and hard and if you don't roll with it, it'll roll right over you!

I'm sure you will do well in your upcoming sprint and we sure want to hear about it!  So are you ramping up your training for the event or just keeping steady?  Have you practiced transitions?  Don't forget to include a few bricks.  It doesn't have to be a full brick, but at the very least you will want to follow up your bike with an immediate (if short) run just so you aren't surprised by spaghetti legs in the race.

I've built the training plans for my husband to work towards a half and for me to do the Olympic again in the spring. My goal is to be in the middle of the pack instead of the back!   As I get older I've learned that my body doesn't restore itself as fast as it used to - which means no more all night partying and still going to work the next day - so sad.  Just kidding, I haven't been able to do that in years and years. But it does make me more careful about designing training plans.  Additionally, neither one of us were ever seriously atheletic when we were younger, only having gotten into this crazy tri thing much later in life than the average triathlete.  Consequently we're not as aggressive and plan on a longer build up than you typically find in training plans.  

Swimming looks like it's going to be my big bugaboo this year while it's usually my easiest event.  While I was hoping for better results from my surgery, I can at least hold on to the bike now.  Swimming still takes a toll but we're working to find some method that will still be legal for competition and still not leave my hand in some useless club-like configuration (you can't use paddles, which would be ideal for me). 

Good training to you all!

Chris

2011-10-18 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

Hi All! I hope everyone is enjoying the Fall weather! It's been unbelievable here for the past month. Starting to get a bit cooler, I will have to build a fire at bed tonight to keep the first freeze at bay. I plan to keep training through the winter. My last Tri had a 4 mile run, I've stuck with that distance and hope to get up to 10K by spring. Running is my weakest link! I've been doing 2 short rides during the week, around 15 miles, and one long on the weekends 45-60miles. My husband and I are training for Biking Across Kansas in June, the rides starts at the Colorado border and ends at the Missouri border. I added weight lifting to my program about a month ago, twice a week. It fits well into my schedule, plus they have a nice new sauna that I enjoy when I'm done! I've only been going to the pool once a week but it's my strong suit so I don't see a problem with it. It's just been too nice after work to be inside at the pool. Instead I take a long walk with the dogs or hit up the dog park. I'll go back to twice a week when Day Light Savings comes to an end. Take care and Happy Fall!

2011-10-25 10:50 PM

Veteran

Hello all,

I wanted to make one last report on my triathlon.  I did a sprint triathlon on Oct. 23rd.  Finally, no time conflicts!  At the last minute I was afraid that I was getting a sore throat, but I guess it was just allergies. 

The triathlon was a 1st annual- and was a rather small event.  It was fun, though.  The run and the bike course was through a residential neighborhood.  They closed off the streets, and a lot of the residents came out and sat on their lawns and cheered us on.  There were a lot of children out in their pajamas.  The Rotary club was one of the major sponsors, and the members were all so nice.  They were all pretty old, though, and it was fun watching them "organize" this event.  (I work with senior citizens). Hey, it won't be long until we're all there!

I came in 3rd in my age group (old ladies).  I would have come in 2nd, but I took a wrong turn from the bike to the swim (it was a reverse triathlon).  Oh well.  The older I get the less I seem to care about competetion. 

I probably won't do my next one until spring.  I am kind of a training junkie, though, and will continue to train on through until spring. 

I hope you all are well, and plan on continue in triathlons. 

Cathy

2011-10-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3738291

User image

Regular

Congratulations Cathy!  Way to go!  Thanks for the report - sounds like you had a great time.  I love the events as much for the supporters as for the race itself.  Where would we be without them? 

I guess this wraps up our season now that we have Cathy officially across the finish line.  Congratulations to everyone on their terrific progress this year.  You've all done so well and I am very impressed.  Triathlon ain't for whiners is it!  Thanks for letting me in on your tir-lives, I got far more out of it than you can know.  I'm sure next year will be even better! 

Best to all, and keep on training!

Chris

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chris' Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10