Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-04-07 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL
NAME: jmk-brooklyn aka Jonah

STORY: I’ve been living in Brooklyn, NY for almost 20 years, and can give you at least 5 meanings for the word “Fuhgetaboutit”. I’ve been an athlete my whole life (football, lacrosse growing up in MD, boxing & softball later on. I decided to give triathlon a go in 2006. My first multi-sport race was Cape Henlopen in Delaware, and my first tri was Lonestar in Galveston, TX in 2007. I am a solidly middle-of-the pack Triathlete. I’ve improved a lot on the swim, to where I’m usually near the front of the pack. My biking is sliiiiightly above average, and my running is coming along, after contending with injuries for a while, I’m really starting to get my groove back .

This is my second go-round as a mentor. I dig it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 7-year old son.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I train on my own time, not on my family’s time. What that means is that my training isn’t always so structured or consistent. I try to train 4-5 days a week. I mostly train alone, but I love running and riding with others when possible and recently I’ve indoctrinated a buddy into the triathlon lifestyle. He’s now trying to figure out how to explain to his wife why he needs a bike trainer in their living room. I’ve become pretty good at finding ways to spend as much time as possible with my family, while still managing to be prepared on race day. You won’t see me cross the finish line at Kona any time soon, but, hey, fuhgetaboutit. (which, in this context means, “it’s no big deal”.)

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year was an off-year, due to injuries. I struggled through the Rev3 Olympic at Quassy—largely because I undertrained for it and didn’t anticipate the course. I also battled injury to a PR at the NYC Tri.

2011 RACES: This year, I’m feeling good and I’m trying to ramp up my schedule. I’m running the Brooklyn Half Marathon in May, and then I’ve got several triathlons this summer: Rev3 Quassy OLY(The Return—and this time I’ll be ready!), Long Island Gold Coast Tri (a sprint, which I’m doing with my newbie triathlete buddy to get him ready for…) New Jersey State Triathlon (Olympic), and then I’ll cap the season with the IM70.3 in Syracuse, which will be my second Half-iron. I did Rhode Island in ’09.
Along the way I hope to have time to do some other events—duathlons, a century, etc., depending on what I can work around family vacations and my son’s soccer practices.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’ve lost as much as 20 lbs from what I was before I started training. I don’t really train for the purpose of losing weight, but it happens anyway.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I’m a people person. No, seriously. I am. Ask anyone…
I’ve been in the sport for a few years and I read and research a lot, so I know a lot more than my finish times would indicate. I can definitely help you get faster if you’re slow, and I can probably help you get faster even if you’re already fast. And regardless, we’ll all have a lot of fun. I love this sport for the fitness and the competition; I love it for the bikes and the gear and all the shiny stuff that comes along with it. But most of all, I love triathlon for the people who do it. I’ve met so many amazing people on BT and made a lot of great friends, many of whom I’ve never even met in person. My mentor group on BT played a big part of getting me immersed in the sport and in the culture, and I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to pay it forward.

Thanks!

2011-04-12 1:09 AM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- OPEN!

NAME: jpbis26/ Jackie

STORY: I'm originally from Buffalo, NY (other end of the state ). I grew up around triathlon because my dad did them back in the late 80s/ early 90s. Our summer family vacations always revolved around one race or another. I moved to Vegas after college where I met my husband and we've been out here for 9 years now. Like many people on BT I was active when I was younger (I also played lacrosse- I was the goalie). Then I got married, had kids, and gained a lot of weight. I decided I wanted to be healthy and active for my family's sake, as well as my own, and lost 80lbs using Weight Watchers in 2007. In 2009, I had another baby and had to shed some pounds I had regained with the pregnancy.

That's when I got the idea to run a 5K. I ran my first 5K in January of 2010 at the record breaking speed of 36 mins. But I was so happy to finish and feel like an athlete again. After that, a fitness instructor at my gym encouraged me to do a sprint tri a few months later. The idea appealed to me because my dad had been a triathlete. So I bought a used road bike and started swimming laps at my gym's pool. Luckily, I worked with a guy who was into cycling and was willing to take me out and teach how to ride the bike. I did my first tri (Irongirl Las Vegas) in May of 2010 and was hooked. I ended up doing 2 more sprints, an Olympic, and a half marathon last year. Along the way, I met a great group of people I cycle with, and got one of my best friends into running (we finished the HM together)

I'm coming into my second season and am so excited to see how much I can push myself and improve in all areas, esp the bike.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 7 years to Max. 3 kids. Mateo 5yrs, Nico 3 yrs, & Daniela 18 months

CURRENT TRAINING: I've really been concentrating a lot on the bike and improving my cardio fitness. I also have to work around my husband & kids' schedules. So some days I'm able to train a lot and other days not at all. But I shoot for 1-2 long rides a week (40-60 miles) with 2 shorter trainer sessions during the week (about an hour) and I try to run 3-5 miles 3 times a week. As for swimming, I've been slacking, but I'm hoping to be more consistent over the summer when I can go back to my masters group.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Irongirl Vegas (sprint), Carlsbad Tri (sprint)-combined with a family vacation to Legoland, so fun for everyone, Las Vegas Tri (sprint), Pumpkinman (Oly), and the Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon.

2011 RACES: I will be doing Irongril Las Vegas again in 3 weeks!!! I also want to do all of last year's races again, although I will do the Oly distance instead of the sprint for the Las Vegas Tri. I may add another HM during the summer. And I might (and this is a big might) try an do the HIM distance for Pumpkinman in Oct. I figure I will make that decision closer to the event depending on how my training goes this summer.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm currently fluxuating between 157-160lbs. I should be 145lbs. I would like get motivated to make that happen, but I've been on and off the wagon lately. At my heaviest (non-pregnant) weight I was a little over 240lbs. So I know I can lose weight, I've done it before. But that doesn't make it easy. I like to eat and it's my way to relieve stress. I know dropping weight would make me a better cyclist & runner, so I need to make it important again.

This will be the 3rd mentor group I've joined. I loved the last 2 and look forward to meeting new people.

2011-04-12 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Nice to "meet" you Jackie! My wife and I almost moved to Vegas about 7 years ago. I work in Luxury retail and was traveling to Vegas several times a year and got to really like it. I have several friends who are NYC transplants there who love it. I love NYC, but I'm jealous of anyone who lives in a warm climate and can train more or less year round outside.
Wow-- you're really busy, aren't you? Three kids under six and manage to find time to race as often as you do? Impressive. And you've lost close to 100lbs, too? Wow. I'm sure that I and the rest of the group will be able to learn a lot from you as well.
Nice to have you in the group. (Always been a fan of your avatar photo, too.)
2011-04-12 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I had a great workout today. It was great because I felt horrible, but still managed to grind out 5+ miles at a pretty good (for me) pace. What's your week look like?
2011-04-12 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Yes, I love the weather in Vegas and am so lucky to be able to be outdoors year round. MY oldest son had tball practice tonight. The block that the field is on is exactly one mile around, so I ran around it 3 times during the first half of his practice.

Probably going to do the trainer for an hour tomorrow & gym Thursday. This Saturday there is a tri called Rage going on that some of the people I ride with are doing so I'm going to go watch & cheer on. Sunday, we are looking to do a long ride. Will prob do some short runs & swim over the weekend too.

Good job getting in a good workout when you didn't feel like it. 

2011-04-14 2:08 PM

I'd like to join this group...

I'm 53 and have always wanted to be in better shape.  I have biked and power walked for years.  This January I started swimming and fell in love with it. From this came the idea to do a triathlon. I read a book on triathlons and feel I can do it if I train hard and right. 

I swam every day from Jan. - March to get stronger in the pool.  From April on, I added the bike and run in.  I rotate one event each day.  I'm doing the "Couch to 5K" 9 week training program to get my run up to speed.  I hired a trainer to show me the strength exercises from the tri book.  I had a swim lesson to correct my breathing and swimming. 

I have updated the training from April on.  I am very motivated.  The run is the hardest for me right now.  I swim 2000 yards each swim now, and I bike 15 to 20 miles.  All are slow, but steadily getting better.

I would love input and help on what I might be doing wrong.

I am registered for a tri in Webster MA in July.  It's the Danskin Women's only.  I thought it was a good place to start. 

What now ?

Thanks, Judy

2011-04-14 2:54 PM

Regular

Hey Everyone,

I think these groups are fantastic ideas and I would like to join as well. My name is Kevin and I am currently 21 years old. I am from Long Island although I go to school in DC. I have always been an athlete having played Football, Swimming, and Lacrosse in high school (I'm also on my university's Club Lacrosse team). I just joined my university's club triathlon team about 2 months ago and finished my first sprint triathlon last Saturday down in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for the USAT Collegiate championships. After doing that first one I am extremely excited about doing more. I also plan on doing the New Jersey State Tri, however, I am probably going to do the sprint. In addition to that I plan on doing my first Olympic distance June 11th out in Montauk.

After the semester ends in May I will head back to Long Island but I am worried that without the structured practices that my club provides I will not continue to train. I hope that this group will be able to motivate me and keep me in shape over the summer, especially since as soon as I get back to school I have to compete in 3 Olympic Triathlons in 3 weeks.

I don't really have any weight loss goals and I figure that with training and proper nutrition I will slim down naturally.  I'm in relatively good shape and weigh 190 pounds. Ideally I will be able to get down to 180 over the course of the summer because less weight means faster times. I look forward to following this forum and learning from all of you. Let's get it started.

-Kevin

2011-04-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3447022

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
JLAshley - 2011-04-14 2:08 PM

I'd like to join this group...

I'm 53 and have always wanted to be in better shape.  I have biked and power walked for years.  This January I started swimming and fell in love with it. From this came the idea to do a triathlon. I read a book on triathlons and feel I can do it if I train hard and right. 

I swam every day from Jan. - March to get stronger in the pool.  From April on, I added the bike and run in.  I rotate one event each day.  I'm doing the "Couch to 5K" 9 week training program to get my run up to speed.  I hired a trainer to show me the strength exercises from the tri book.  I had a swim lesson to correct my breathing and swimming. 

I have updated the training from April on.  I am very motivated.  The run is the hardest for me right now.  I swim 2000 yards each swim now, and I bike 15 to 20 miles.  All are slow, but steadily getting better.

I would love input and help on what I might be doing wrong.

I am registered for a tri in Webster MA in July.  It's the Danskin Women's only.  I thought it was a good place to start. 

What now ?

Thanks, Judy

Hi Judy:
It doesn't sound to me like you're doing anything wrong! Running can really beat you up, and sometimes, it's advantageous to come into this sport later in life, without the accumulated mileage and wear and tear, but you should start slow and gradually and, especially, make sure you have the right shoes. There's a person on BT called "Scout" who's sort of the local running guru, and he has a mantra that I think is great as the answer to "how do I become a better runner". He says, "Run lots. Mostly slow. Sometimes fast." I think that if you can fit it into your schedule, the training schedule that works best for me is to swim bike and run twice a week each. One workout is slower and longer distances, the other is faster and more focused on form & drills. Now that youv'e got the endurance in swimming down, it's time to start working on getting faster. There are great links on youtube that can show you what an ideal swim stroke looks like and how to emulate it.
It sounds like you're off to a great start! Nice to have you aboard.
2011-04-14 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3447161

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
klove13 - 2011-04-14 2:54 PM

Hey Everyone,

I think these groups are fantastic ideas and I would like to join as well. My name is Kevin and I am currently 21 years old. I am from Long Island although I go to school in DC. I have always been an athlete having played Football, Swimming, and Lacrosse in high school (I'm also on my university's Club Lacrosse team). I just joined my university's club triathlon team about 2 months ago and finished my first sprint triathlon last Saturday down in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for the USAT Collegiate championships. After doing that first one I am extremely excited about doing more. I also plan on doing the New Jersey State Tri, however, I am probably going to do the sprint. In addition to that I plan on doing my first Olympic distance June 11th out in Montauk.

After the semester ends in May I will head back to Long Island but I am worried that without the structured practices that my club provides I will not continue to train. I hope that this group will be able to motivate me and keep me in shape over the summer, especially since as soon as I get back to school I have to compete in 3 Olympic Triathlons in 3 weeks.

I don't really have any weight loss goals and I figure that with training and proper nutrition I will slim down naturally.  I'm in relatively good shape and weigh 190 pounds. Ideally I will be able to get down to 180 over the course of the summer because less weight means faster times. I look forward to following this forum and learning from all of you. Let's get it started.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin-- Welcome!

I'm a former Lacrosse player also. When I was a kid in Baltimore, the sport basically only existed in Maryland, Long Island, and Upstate New York. It's kind of amazing to see it everywhere now. What postition do you play? I mostly played attack, with occasional forays into midfield even though (irony alert) I used to hate to do all that running.

I'm doing an event on LI in June called the GOld Coast tri. It's in Port Washington on Fathers' Day. It's a fun local event. Never done Montauk, but it's on the list. I usually do the Montauk Century, which is a 100-mile ride from Babylon out to Montauk. It's really fun-- sorry to be missing it this year. You should tri to find as many events as possible to train for this summer. I find that that's the best way to stay motivated. If I don't have a race on my calendar, I'm much more prone to slack off.

I've gotten serious about my weight this season. I really should be around 180 too, but I let myself get up to 189 last summer. I'm down to where I'm in between 178 and 180 which is right where I want to be. As long as you stay active and don't eat too much junk, you'll be fine. Portion control is huge-- you know how parents like to stuff their kids when they're home from school.

Three Olympic tris in three weeks?
2011-04-14 6:30 PM

Regular
I play defense in lacrosse, so no glory for me. I'm doing 3 tri's so close together because in order to qualify for collegiate nationals you need to do 2 races out of 5 approved ones. It just so happens that the 2 races that are closest to me happen to be a week apart. The 3rd race is Nations in Washington D.C. I think it's the biggest tri in the world so I didn't want to miss out! I'm glad that you mentioned the Gold Coast tri. It just so happens that I live one town over from Port Washington, literally about 30 seconds away, so now I have to sign up! I totally agree that having an event on the calendar is the best motivation so I'm going to try and keep my schedule packed all summer and hopefully keep getting faster.
2011-04-14 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3447326

Thanks for the input.  I really want to get better at running and I feel I need to run at least 3 times a week until I am doing the tri three miles much easier.  I was thinking of alternating swim and bike in the mornings and doing the running after work every other day...that gets me running 3 times a week...and my dog a good walk.  Do you think that is too much overall ?  Somehow I have to fit in strength a few days a week also. 

2011-04-14 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Let me know if you sign up for Gold Coast. I don't think it sells out even though it's a pretty small field.

Do you know about trifind.com? That's the best resource I know for finding tris and duathlons. There aren't a lot of big races in the NYC area, but there are quite a few small local events-- most are Sprints, but they're good for keeping in practice.
2011-04-14 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3447687

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
JLAshley - 2011-04-14 8:01 PM

Thanks for the input.  I really want to get better at running and I feel I need to run at least 3 times a week until I am doing the tri three miles much easier.  I was thinking of alternating swim and bike in the mornings and doing the running after work every other day...that gets me running 3 times a week...and my dog a good walk.  Do you think that is too much overall ?  Somehow I have to fit in strength a few days a week also. 

It doesn't sound like too much, no. I don't know if you need to do all of that and still do strength workouts a few days a week too. The subject of strength training is widely debated in triathlon circles. I fall on the side that says that it has merit in addition to s/b/r training, but considering how much s/b/r you're going to be doing, unless you're working on muscle imbalances or rehabbing some injury or chronic condition, I don't think you need more than one good strength/flexibilty/core workout per week. You're going to get plenty strong from s/b/r.

The other thing is that most coaches will say that you should make sure that every workout has a purpose. Just running the same distances at the same speed over and over again doesn't force your body to adapt. Make sure you're either increasing distance or increasing speed, or running on more hills, or adding in some speed intervals or something like that.

Also, make sure you work in some recovery. Recovery doesn't have to be a day with no exercise at all, but make sure you have one day where you take it really, really easy. Trixie, who's one of the best athletes on BT says that the mistake that most age-groupers make is that they make their easy days too hard and their hard days too easy.
2011-04-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3447701

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-14 8:14 PM
JLAshley - 2011-04-14 8:01 PM Thanks for the input.  I really want to get better at running and I feel I need to run at least 3 times a week until I am doing the tri three miles much easier.  I was thinking of alternating swim and bike in the mornings and doing the running after work every other day...that gets me running 3 times a week...and my dog a good walk.  Do you think that is too much overall ?  Somehow I have to fit in strength a few days a week also. 
It doesn't sound like too much, no. I don't know if you need to do all of that and still do strength workouts a few days a week too. The subject of strength training is widely debated in triathlon circles. I fall on the side that says that it has merit in addition to s/b/r training, but considering how much s/b/r you're going to be doing, unless you're working on muscle imbalances or rehabbing some injury or chronic condition, I don't think you need more than one good strength/flexibilty/core workout per week. You're going to get plenty strong from s/b/r. The other thing is that most coaches will say that you should make sure that every workout has a purpose. Just running the same distances at the same speed over and over again doesn't force your body to adapt. Make sure you're either increasing distance or increasing speed, or running on more hills, or adding in some speed intervals or something like that. Also, make sure you work in some recovery. Recovery doesn't have to be a day with no exercise at all, but make sure you have one day where you take it really, really easy. Trixie, who's one of the best athletes on BT says that the mistake that most age-groupers make is that they make their easy days too hard and their hard days too easy.

Thanks. Love these parts & really need to consider them myself when looking at my own training. I've been really focusing on my bike since January and would like to start refocusing myself on the run. Right now, I'm just running easy 2-3 times a week for 3-5 miles. My volume was a lot higher before my HM in November, but I was still just running easy only. Lots of people on here cautioned about doing speedwork too soon & getting injuried. What are your thoughts? I'm kind in a running rut right now. My volume is not where it should be. Should I continue to run easy until I get my volume up again & then start to work on speed or should I go on Runner's World & get a plan that involves not just easy runs?

Kevin- Great to have another lacrosse player! I wish I got in triathlon when I was in college

Judy- Great job getting in all the training!

2011-04-16 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Went to the Rage Triathlon today as a spectator and watched some friends race. Very fun event and both friends did well and had a blast. Afterwards, I had a good 3 mile run with my friend Jen.

Looking to do a longer ride tomorrow and practice part of the Iron Girl course. We will do our usual Sunday route (38 miles) but add on the ride into Lake Las Vegas and the climb out. Not sure how many miles this will be but I'm guessing between 45-50 miles. Looking to do a short run afterwards. We'll see how I hold up.

Thankfully we are on spring break this week!!! (I teach 3rd grade). So I can relax and do some evening training without having to stress about waking up super early to get to work (Doesn't work just get in the way of everything?). Think I will try and swim or run every day. Then take it easy midway through the following week, as Iron Girl is the 30th.

How is everyone's weekend going?

Edited by jpbis26 2011-04-16 11:37 PM
2011-04-17 1:25 PM

Regular

My week is going okay. I haven't been able to get to the gym and swim much but I've been trying to go for a run every day. I have a quick question though. I currently don't have a bike so I rely on spin classes and stationary bikes for most of my bike training. Will this negatively affect my bike times or my ability to ride for extended periods of time?

2011-04-17 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3451166

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
klove13 - 2011-04-17 1:25 PM

My week is going okay. I haven't been able to get to the gym and swim much but I've been trying to go for a run every day. I have a quick question though. I currently don't have a bike so I rely on spin classes and stationary bikes for most of my bike training. Will this negatively affect my bike times or my ability to ride for extended periods of time?

Do you have a heart rate monitor? If you don't have a bike yet, then try getting on a spin bike or stationary bike and following thsi plan http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/p/cycling-plan.html 

Jorge has a thread with lots of people doing this program (It's free!) under the Challenge forum. Before I got my bike trainer, I would use a spin bike at my gym & go off of my HR according to Jorge's plan. Now that I have a bike trainer, I alternate doing these workouts & Spinerval DVDs for my indoor rides.

Nothing is better training than being outside on your bike, but when that's not possible, trainer work or spin bike work is beneficial. It can not hurt you.  

2011-04-17 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
We did our 45 mile bike today which included my bike course for my upcoming tri. I'm super psyched for IronGirl. I feel like I will be able to ride this course well and give an all out effort for those 15 miles. I want to try and ride that course a few more times before the event, just so I am very familiar with it and can have a game plan going into the race. Unfortunately, not enough time for a brick today, but I will try and run later tonight. 
2011-04-18 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Guys-- sorry to be mia the last couple of days. We're on vacation in Paris and I haven't had any internet access at out friend's apartment where we're staying. I was able to get on for a few minutes visiting a friend at his hotel.

Great training everybody!

I had a great run in the Parc Montsouris yesterday-- about a 5-mile run around this pretty little park. Lots of other runners, although I had the distinct impression that everyone else who was running was also American.

Tomorrow, I'm going on a group run with some members of an english-speaking triathlon club here in Paris. Should be cool.

I'll have wifi at the next place we'll be staying in--in the South of france, so I'll be more communicative. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
2011-04-18 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3449480

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jpbis26 - 2011-04-15 5:57 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-14 8:14 PM
JLAshley - 2011-04-14 8:01 PM Thanks for the input.  I really want to get better at running and I feel I need to run at least 3 times a week until I am doing the tri three miles much easier.  I was thinking of alternating swim and bike in the mornings and doing the running after work every other day...that gets me running 3 times a week...and my dog a good walk.  Do you think that is too much overall ?  Somehow I have to fit in strength a few days a week also. 
It doesn't sound like too much, no. I don't know if you need to do all of that and still do strength workouts a few days a week too. The subject of strength training is widely debated in triathlon circles. I fall on the side that says that it has merit in addition to s/b/r training, but considering how much s/b/r you're going to be doing, unless you're working on muscle imbalances or rehabbing some injury or chronic condition, I don't think you need more than one good strength/flexibilty/core workout per week. You're going to get plenty strong from s/b/r. The other thing is that most coaches will say that you should make sure that every workout has a purpose. Just running the same distances at the same speed over and over again doesn't force your body to adapt. Make sure you're either increasing distance or increasing speed, or running on more hills, or adding in some speed intervals or something like that. Also, make sure you work in some recovery. Recovery doesn't have to be a day with no exercise at all, but make sure you have one day where you take it really, really easy. Trixie, who's one of the best athletes on BT says that the mistake that most age-groupers make is that they make their easy days too hard and their hard days too easy.

Thanks. Love these parts & really need to consider them myself when looking at my own training. I've been really focusing on my bike since January and would like to start refocusing myself on the run. Right now, I'm just running easy 2-3 times a week for 3-5 miles. My volume was a lot higher before my HM in November, but I was still just running easy only. Lots of people on here cautioned about doing speedwork too soon & getting injuried. What are your thoughts? I'm kind in a running rut right now. My volume is not where it should be. Should I continue to run easy until I get my volume up again & then start to work on speed or should I go on Runner's World & get a plan that involves not just easy runs?

Kevin- Great to have another lacrosse player! I wish I got in triathlon when I was in college

Judy- Great job getting in all the training!

I think it's ok to run at more or less the same pace, as long as you're extending the distance a little bit each time. In past years, I did a lot g 4-mile runs at around a 9m/mile and I found it really hard to go longer or get faster after a while. Once I decided to try to push my volume or speed up, I ended getting hurt. This year, I've been trying to increase gradually with every workout and it's been working really well. I got up to 15-k for a race a couple of weeks ago, and now I've dropped down to a long run about 7 miles and I'm going to start building back up for a half-marathon next month.

I love using training plans. I had never used one until my Half-ironman in 2009, and it made a believer out of me.
2011-04-18 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Wow! What a great vacation destination. I took a vacation to Paris with my family when I was 14, but have never been there as an adult. I would love to go back and see it.

Did a 3 mile run this morning at 5am. And I actually liked it. Felt like I had more energy getting out there first thing. I usually run in the evenings after my kids are alseep.

Max has to leave for work by 6:30am, but if I get up early enough I have time for a decent run. Normally, I have to get all the kids up, dressed, fed, and out the door by 6:45am in order to get to work by 7:15am. So, I never do AM runs. But, I'm starting to reconsider. If I get out the door at 5am, I can totally be home before 6am and still have the time I need to get ready. I might try and do this 2 mornings a week after spring break and see how I feel. Baby steps.   

2011-04-19 11:30 AM

User image

New user

Halstead

I would love to join if I can.

NAME: Roy Bird

STORY: Well, i'm 34 years old and have totally let things slip over the last 15 years. On leaving home at 18, to go to university, I was fairly fit but enjoyed the drinking and socialising too much. In saying this I managed to get a place in the London Marathon and ran it, after some training, in 1998. After aching so much, and walking like the love child of John Wayne and Tina Turner, I gave the running a big miss until I ran the London Marathon again the following year. This time though, being young and stupid, my only training run was the weekend before and this was the only run I had been on since the previous marathon. I then met my wife-to-be and all exercise stopped. I guess what i'm trying to say is that I am amazingly lazy, have a lack of self control & willpower and would be quite happy doing nothing although I love the outdoors so much. I've recently just got back into running and exercise though and last month completed a Half Marathon on the Formula 1 track at Silverstone. I've just purchased a Claude Butler hybrid bike in order to cycle to work and have a renewed desire to be better than I am. I haven't really completed lap swimming for about 24 years and so this is definitely my weakest area, followed very closely by cycling.

Job wise, I am a Primary School Teacher, I really enjoy my job and recently got through to the finals of Teacher of the Year. Prior to this I was an outdoor education instructor helping young offenders to stop offending and get back into education. As a result my other love in kayaking, although this is also something that I haven't done for too long now.

Spare time wise I am relatively new to the GeoCaching scene, love gadgets and spending quality time with my family.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married to Sian now for 9 years and we have a gorgeous daughter called Rosy, who is 7 years old. Although we both have relatively good jobs, money is tight and I must always put them first.

CURRENT TRAINING: Due to work and family issues my training is very irregular. Leading up to my Half Marathon last month I was running about 6 miles every 3 days. But that has since stopped. With the start of the new school term though, i've be cycling 8 miles to and from work each day and have one long cycle each weekend (with my newly purchased bike), aim to run for an hour and a half twice a week, and will get in the pool before work on a Monday for a 30 minute session.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I think I completed a 2 mile run in about July of 2010

2011 RACES: I completed the Silverstone Half Marathon, with nowhere near enough training, in 2hrs25min52secs and have my very first triathlon coming up on the 5th of June (400m swim : 20k bike : 5k run). I'm also just trawling the websites now for various 10k runs, half marathons and small triathlons.

WEIGHT LOSS: Having enjoying married life a little too much, I am now very much over weight and weigh about 215lbs. This is an improvement on the 230lbs I was carrying around at the beginning of the year but I know if I continue to train it will continue to come off.

I have only just joined this site today, after searching for triathlon training plans, and as such this will be my very first mentor group i'll be involved in. I promise to be nice and active as this is one of the only ways I can be sure to keep up with my training. Any help with motivation, techniques and equipment will be gladly taken.

2011-04-19 8:04 PM

Regular

What's up everyone. My workouts this week have been pretty good. I took sunday off but on monday i swam. My set went as follows:

200 swim

200 kick

200 pull

5 100's holding 1:30 (on a 1:35 interval)

6 100's holding 1:25 (on a 1:50 interval)

3 100's sprint 1:15, 1:19, 1:21 (on a 2:30 interval)

200 cool down

My run Workout today was as follows:

1 mile warmup

4x1 mile's fast (6:35, 6:45, 6:40, 6:30)

I'm pretty pleased with both of these workouts. I actually didn't know that I could run that fast! I'm going to be traveling almost all day tomorrow so I'm not sure if I can workout but I'll definitely try running in the morning before I leave (I probably won't be able to wake up at 5 in the morning like you Jackie).

2011-04-20 12:38 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Roy- Congrats on making the finals for Teacher of the Year. That's an awesome achievement. Welcome & good luck on your upcoming tri Look forward to hearing how about your training.

Kevin- Great swim workout & run!

Skipped the AM run today Decided to do an evening brick workout with my friend Jen. We biked 23 miles. We went from my house, did our race course, and biked back. Afterwards we did a 5K run. Our friend Mark came with us on the bike and pushed us. Jen dragged me along on the run. She keeps me moving along at a faster pace than I do when left to my own devices, so I'm grateful for that, as running is not  my strong suit (We did 9 min miles today).

Tomorrow, I'm meeting Mark at the gym to do some cardio & Thursday I'm looking to run in the morning & do the bike course again. We will be doing an OWS Sat.

I've been loving Spring Break. Been doing lots of stuff with my kids & looking forward to summer when I can be with them all day like this Only 6.5 weeks!

2011-04-20 5:24 AM
in reply to: #3455655

User image

New user

Halstead

Jackie - thanks for the good will message. I think this site will really help to keep me motivated and on the right track, so to speak. I like your idea of early morning runs as well. Having time for my family is really important to me so think, once the holidays are over, i'll be giving this one a whirl every now and again.

Kevin - I'm really new to this whole Triathlon thing and need to get in with the swimming a lot more. But I had just thought of swimming lengths before I start work, should I be doing 'sets' like you? Are they a better form of training? Does '200 kick' mean that you swam 200m really concentrating on your legs and '200 pull' mean your concentrating on your arms? And what's all this about 'holding 1:30', is that your pace for 100m. I really am sorry for all these questions but am totally new at this and just have a high desire to do well.

klove13 - 2011-04-20 2:04 AM

I took sunday off but on monday i swam. My set went as follows:

200 swim

200 kick

200 pull

5 100's holding 1:30 (on a 1:35 interval)

6 100's holding 1:25 (on a 1:50 interval)

3 100's sprint 1:15, 1:19, 1:21 (on a 2:30 interval)

200 cool down

Now a question for everyone - do I have to do anything else to be accepted into this mentored group or is it just a case of posting on here and logging my training. In all honesty, that's all i've done so far.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16