BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-04-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- OPEN!

Roy- Yes, you are in the group. All you have to do is post on this thread. (Jonah- Hope you don't mind me making this decsion, but I know you have limited internet access right now).

If you go to any sporting goods store, you should be able to pick up fins (flippers) and a pull bouy. Doing a kick drill refers to puting the fins on your feet and just moving yourself across the pool with your legs only. You will want to lay on your side and outstretch one arm while keeping the other on your hip. Doing a pull drill refers to putting the pull bouy between your legs (which will help them float and not move) and using only your arms to pull you through the water.

100, 200, etc refers to distance (either meters or yards). Most lap pools are 25 meters from one end to the other. So if you swim from one end to the other 4 times that is 100 meters. Just like you refer to running a X min mile or riding a bike Xmiles per hour, people talk about how fast they swim 100 meters as their pace. You can time yourself to see how long it takes you to swim 100 meters and that is your current swim pace. So Kevin is saying that 1:30 was the pace he keep during those 100 meters (which is awesome bwt Kevin , I'm luck to break 2:00).

There are website you can go that will give you swim drills like this. I will try and find the links later and post them. But if you are just starting to swim, the drills are not necessary to get through your first tri. Just getting in the pool constantly and doing as many laps as you can each time is a great way to start. Don't stress about your time, so much of swimming is proper technique. My swim time has improved alot since taking masters swim classes last summer and learning proper stroke technique. I would totally recommend taking a class if at all possible. I will search for those website links & post again later in the day. Hope all this rambling is helpful.

2011-04-21 2:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Roy--welcome (thanks for filling in,Jackie!)

We've moved on to Arles--a small town in the South of France. We'll be here until Sunday.

I had a great workout with some members of Expatries, an English speaking tri club in Paris. It was a speed workout on a public track and when i arrived, they were talking about their recent marathon finishes. When I overheard times in the low 3-hr range, I knew I was going to be in for a challenging workout. After a .5-mile warmup, we ran 3 intervals of .75-miles at 90% effort, followed by .25-mile recovery at 70% effort. After the cooldown, it ended up being about 4mi at a very high intensity. The other people were much faster than I was--it was hard to keep up, but I did ok.

They were telling me about the Paris triathlon, which sounds amazing. Might have to put that one on the to-do list!

Arles isn't ideal for running. I'll have to be creative about finding routes. I finally will have regular wifi by this afternoon, so I should be back in business, although 6 hours ahead of my usual time zone.
2011-04-21 3:23 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Hi again can i join the group please?
2011-04-21 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Come on in!!!

Did you post earlier? I must have missed it. How about a bio? I'm going to guess that your names Dave? (I'm quick like that.)

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2011-04-21 11:44 AM
2011-04-21 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I had a nice run today. It's really warming up here and it's been a while since I've run in anything but long sleeves and tights. I ran from Arles into the next town- a place called Vielleville. It's really just a wide place in the road. Here are lots of those in France. The only way you know your entered a town is that there's a sign saying that you have. At one point, I was running along a road with those huge shade trees on both sides like you've probably seen if yove ever watched the Tour de France.

Hopefully, all this running is offsetting all the eating. And drinking...
2011-04-21 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Jonah- Very cool that you have found people to train with in France. I love training with people who are faster than me. I used to be intimidated, but I've found some people here that just really push me & teach me so much, I prefer it now.

Did an hour on the stairmill  and an hour on a stationary bike at the gym. Good workout. I wanted to ride the IronGirl course today, but it is super windy here. Plan B is now in place. I will be going to the pool after my kids are asleep. Looking to ride the IronGirl course Tuesday after work.

2011-04-21 8:33 PM

Ok...I think I hit a wall today. After 21 miles in direct brutal wind...I am absolutely beat. I have trained hard at all events this week, including strength. I think I need a week of lighter workouts....or should I keep pushing myself? I feel like I am improving, but I am dog tired. Any suggestions or ideas.? I want to hit for first race ready and feeling good. First race July 24th. Thanks. Judy
2011-04-21 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3459914

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

JLAshley - 2011-04-21 8:33 PM Ok...I think I hit a wall today. After 21 miles in direct brutal wind...I am absolutely beat. I have trained hard at all events this week, including strength. I think I need a week of lighter workouts....or should I keep pushing myself? I feel like I am improving, but I am dog tired. Any suggestions or ideas.? I want to hit for first race ready and feeling good. First race July 24th. Thanks. Judy

Riding in the wind just sucks. I looked at your training logs. Congrats on getting in all that training. Very consistant which is hard to do! I say listen to your body. If you feel tired, it's ok & good for you to take it easy. Recovery is important. Jonah said it very well in a post on the 1st page of this thread.

2011-04-22 12:54 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I would dial it back for the next few workouts and come back and hit it again next week. Give yourself a recovery phase to maximize the work you did this week. Your race is in almost exactly three months, so if you do a series of three weeks of increasing intensity followed by one week of recovery, that'll time out almost perfectly with your race.

Riding in the wind sucks. Give me hills any day. At least you can see the top of a hill and you know you've got a downhill on the other side.

I miss my bike. This would be a great place to ride.
2011-04-22 11:19 AM

Hi all,

What does everybody think about swim training with hand fins.  I had the lifeguard give them to me and tell me that it will help strengthen my arms.  I did 30 laps with them today...felt great.  I always do 10 laps with leg fins to warm up...I'm thinking on my drill swims of adding the arms only fins for a set of laps.  Your thoughts ?

Judy

PS. after jacuzzi last night my legs recovered from the bike ride in brutal wind yesterday.  :-)

2011-04-22 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I have a pair of paddles. I think their value as a training tool comes from helping you tune your stroke, not so much as a strength tool. If you're using paddles and your entry is off or your hands aren't straight when you pull, the paddles will give you feedback. When I use them and my form gets sloppy, my hands "slip" sideways during my pull instead of following a clean line from entry to exit. I don't know if you could or should use them enough for them to really strengthen your arms. Swimming fast isn't really about upper body strength anyway-- it's more about technique and body position.

Fins, I think, not only help to strengthen your legs and improve flexibility in your ankles, they also help you stay in the water longer by allowing you to maintain a good position even when your legs are fatigued. I don't have fins though. I always mean to buy them, bit it seems there's always something at the top of the list when I go to the tri store.

2011-04-22 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
So Roy-- a little off topic, but tell me about geocaching. Always wanted to try it. I know my son would absolutely love it.
2011-04-22 4:32 PM

Regular
Welcome to the thread Roy and Dave. Sorry I've been absent for the last couple of days (Easter Break). Roy, my pool is in yards and when I kick I don't use fins I use a kickboard to hold my arms above water while I kick. I like training plans and intervals because it keeps me interested in the swim. I find that when i don't do set workouts with intervals i get bored and will swim less. Judy i find that paddles are a great way to improve your form. By having that extra surface area on your hand it allows you to get your arm really stretched out and rotate your hips. Yesterday i went for a short run that was about 3-4 miles. Today i went surfing for about an hour and a half so i guess that sort of counts as a swim workout.....maybe. Everyone keep up the good work!
2011-04-22 6:03 PM

Hudson Valley Region

Hi Everyone!  Count me in.

NAME: Mark

STORY: I started doing sprint triathlons about five years ago, one per year.  I'd normally start training three weeks prior even though I always swore this time would be different.  Last year, in order to increase my fitness window, I did two tri's - my usual in June (Pawling Tri) and one in September (Vassar Med Center Tri).  I found that windows close as quickly as they open :-)

I joke that I am not so much a triATHLETE as I am a triATHALATOR. I must also stop calling the transition area the rest area.

I also played lacrosse in high school and college (grew up on Long Island - currently in the Hudson Valley). Now I'm coaching my son's team.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids (13 and 10).

CURRENT TRAINING: Been working one of the free BT plans since March (Oly distance). Two workouts per week per sport.  Finding that I'm having to rearrange workouts more than anticipated. The last couple of weeks have been particularly tough.

2011 RACES: Pawling Tri, Hudson Valley Tri, West Point Tri.  Looking to add a Oly tri in August and another sprint in Sept.

Looking forward to this year's races since I now have a proper road bike.  Might even get a wetsuit this year too.

Edited by thirdstation 2011-04-22 6:09 PM
2011-04-22 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3461596

User image

Veteran
Maryland

The forum says this group is still open, but I see a few people have jumped in recently and the mentor has limited internet access. Hopefully I made it in before the group needs to be closed off. I promise not to be too needy.

NAME: Johnny

STORY: After being overweight for the first 20 years of my life I finally got in shape after joining the Army ten years ago. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, and my overall health and fitness returned to my old levels as I battled with all kinds of issues. It's now been ten years since my diagnosis, and I find myself in the fortunate situation to be in near full remission. Not knowing how long this period of good health will last, I'm taking advantage of it and doing the challenging physical things I have wanted to do, triathlons being the biggest.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 14 month old daughter. I'm a stay at home dad and my wife training for her first triathlon.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm training for my first HIM, and the schedule gets a bit rough getting those workouts in while taking care of my family. I'm trying to train 6 days a week, with 8 total workouts weekly. I've been trying to make a custom BT HIM plan that works for me. I'm in my first week of training focused purely on the HIM, and it's been a bit tricky figuring out where to put each of the workouts. I just got a swim coach to help me learn to swim (I could always move myself around in the water confidently, but for a 1.2 mile swim I wanted to really learn proper technique). The bike is my biggest issue right now. Whoever came up with the expression “just like riding a bike” didn't take 15 years off from being on a bike. Despite having trained for and completed a sprint tri, I am still a bit uncomfortable on the bike. The bike is my least favorite event, and the portion I will have the most questions on.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did the North East sprint tri in North East, MD, the Army 10-miler, and a local half marathon.

2011 RACES: I completed a Tough Mudder earlier this year (one of the most awesome events I have ever done). I'm signed up to go back to North East for the Olympic distance this August, and then Pumpkinman HIM (Maine, not Vegas) in September. I'm trying to find one more local sprint or olympic distance to fit in this season.

WEIGHTLOSS: When my daughter was born last February I weighed 295lbs. I'm done to 240 now, with a goal of racing my HIM at 225.

2011-04-22 8:34 PM

New user

Clarksville, Tn
Hi my name is Charlie. I am 32, married to my wife Rebekah for six years now, and have a five year old daughter. I started this year at 389 lbs and am currently down to 340 lbs. I have always been fascinated by triathletes so i decided the training would be a nicevaddition to my weight loss plan. I played football all through school and as I got older I worked out less. I am new to the sport and looking forward to see how far I can push my body. My goal is to drop to 230 lbs and compete in a beginner triathlon by September. If the group still has room I'd like to join.

2011-04-23 12:25 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Great job with the weight loss Johnny & Charlie!
2011-04-23 1:43 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome to the group Mark, Johnny and Charlie!
2011-04-23 6:46 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

Name : BlindDave  Adam

Background : Not much of a sports person, have cycled for years as transport and for fun, After claiming i was going to get fitter one year My best mate deciced to do a 3k fun run, he completed it and wanted to do more he then found this website and wanted to do a triathlon. Now as my best mate there was no way i was going to let him do a triathlon and me not , i trained and we did 3 sprint triathlons last year   So thank you Sicone/Stav I drive for a living so i work 4 on 4 off with.

Family status : Married with 3 kids (15,9+3)

Current training : Rubbish, After the last race of last season i wanted to have a break in training and due to the weather and work Ive not adjusted back into a routine. I work 4days on 4 days off with my work days being 6-15 hours with 2 hours travel by car or when the weathers better 3hours by bike.

2010 races  : 2 pool based sprints and the Mazda London sprint (ow) I really enjoyed the OWS in the london tri :D

2011 Races : none planed as yet but want to do 3 again with at least 1 being olly distance. i think i need to enter 1 soon to get some motivation :P

Goals : beat last years times in races i do again and complete the olly (beating Sicone of course  )

2011-04-23 6:48 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Hi all Happy St Georges day from England, so i haven't done any training in a couple of days i hope to get an OWS  Sunday tho I'm back at work Monday
2011-04-23 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3461991

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Blinddave - 2011-04-23 6:48 AM Hi all Happy St Georges day from England, so i haven't done any training in a couple of days i hope to get an OWS  Sunday tho I'm back at work Monday

Welcome Adam! Sounds like you have a tough work schedule. What is St George's Day?

I finished an OWS today. Did 1200 meters. Water was a little chilly, but was ok after getting used to it. Afterwards we ran 5K. I'm very excited for my upcoming race. I'm planning to run & swim tomorrow and run Monday during Mateo's t-ball game. I plan to do the race course Tuesday evening on the bike. After that, I think one more swim and then I'm going to relax until Saturday. My mom will be in town for the race, so I'm looking forward to seeing her.

Getting towards the end of my spring break My husband wants me toi help him clean the garage now and then I have some papers to grade. So depressing

2011-04-23 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

St. George is the patron  saint of England (st David for Wales st. Patrick for island and st Andrew for Scotland)

BBQ round a friends house lots of beer and grilled meat

2011-04-23 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like we have a few teachers in this group. Cool! I'm not one, but I do occasionally lecture college and high school kids about looking for internships and entering the job market.

I really need to get back to my bike, trainer, and pool. Wow. Vacation is not good for training.

Good job ows'ing today!

I think the bike race Liege-Bastogne-Liege is on today or tomorrow. If you've never watched a pro cycling race, I highly recommend it.

I'm going to run tomorrow. I found a track nearby, and I'm going to see if I can find it.

2011-04-23 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
This was my first week training for my HIM, and I feel pretty good. I had a good confidence building session on the bike this morning, and a really amazing run this afternoon. My biggest challenge to finish out the week is not to gorge myself on Easter dinner and candy tomorrow. Willpower can be in such short supply at big family dinners. I hope everyone celebrating Easter or St. George's day has a wonderful time this weekend. Good luck getting ready for your race Jackie.
2011-04-24 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Hi! It looks like this group is still open & I've enjoyed reading through the thread.

NAME: Dana

BACKGROUND: I am 41. Married for 18 years (later this week). We have a 10 year old daughter whom I homeschool. I used to be a public school teacher.

As far as sports, I was never an athlete...until last year! I started a couch to 5k program along with weight loss last summer. I am 5'4" and started at 159 lbs. I have lost almost 30 pounds & dropped from a size 14 to 6/8. I ran my first 5k in September (at a very slow 46:30), my first half marathon in November (2:57), & my first sprint tri this month (1:50...with an indoor swim).

TRAINING: I am currently training for my 2nd sprint triathlon (outdoor swim) in 2 weeks & my 2nd half marathon in 6 weeks. I usually run 3x per week, ride 2x, and try to swim 2x. I also workout with a trainer doing strength training 1x per week.

GOALS: I need to start having a purpose for every workout. While learning 3 sports & improving my running endurance over the past 10 months, I haven't really worked on speed. Though I am very proud of myself for finishing my races, I have come in at the back of the pack & it disappoints me. In my last 2 races (10k & tri), I came in with the bottom 10%.

I am currently visiting family & was supposed to do my first 30 mike bike ride yesterday. (I am also working towards a century ride). It stormed so I paid a day fee at a gym so I rode a bike for 10 miles & ran for 1. The gym is closed today & it is storming. Tomorrow, too. I am thinking about buying a jumprope at walmart to do some card today...& doing some strength training. I had Friday off as I drove the 9 miles here.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you all!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16