BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-04-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- OPEN!

Welcome Dana! I'm also hoping to do a century sometime this summer. Good job on the weightloss & getting off the couch.

Happy Easter everyone

2011-04-24 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome, Dana!

I love century rides, almost as much as tri's. All the camaraderie and physical challenge without the pressure of a timed finish. I'm missing my usual May century b/c of my Half Marathon.

Today's my last day in the south of France, so I'll be incommunicado until we get back to Brooklyn Tuesday night. It's been a great trip, although the weather turned a little sour the last couple of days. I didn't run b/c I didn't have the clothes for it. I'll try to get one more run in in Paris before we leave for the US on Tuesday
afternoon. I'm afraid of what the scale will say when I get home. Lots of eating and drinking, and then along comes the Easter candy. Sigh...

I'll definitely be more "mentor-ly" once I get Bach home to my real computer. Trying to post in BT forums on an iPhone is not so easy.
2011-04-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3462601

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
johnnyfulltime - 2011-04-23 6:26 PM

This was my first week training for my HIM, and I feel pretty good. I had a good confidence building session on the bike this morning, and a really amazing run this afternoon. My biggest challenge to finish out the week is not to gorge myself on Easter dinner and candy tomorrow. Willpower can be in such short supply at big family dinners. I hope everyone celebrating Easter or St. George's day has a wonderful time this weekend. Good luck getting ready for your race Jackie.

What's your half-iron plan look like? How many days/week and how many s/b/r workouts? I did a "beginner" workout in 2009 for my HIM, mostly because it seemed the most forgiving for a tight schedule like I have. When your plan calls for 6 days a week, and 2 workouts on a couple of days, it's hard to miss workouts. Between my wife's softball games and my sons various activities, birthday parties, etc, I'm sure to miss a few workouts.
2011-04-24 12:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
So, question for the group: when you race, do you have a goal? I typically have a "realistic" goal and a "stretch" goal. For my half, "realistic" is under 2h, but I'd really like to beat my PR from 2009. For my Oly in June, realistic is to beat my time of last year (3:15 or so), but I'd low to break 3h.

I went into my HIM with the goal of just finishing, but in retrospect, I wish I'd set the bar a little higher for myself. I finished in 6:04, which I'm immensely proud of, esp. since it was my 1st half and since I'd battled injuries all year, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little diappointed to come so close to breaking 6h and missing by four minutes.

2011-04-24 4:32 PM

New user

Brandon, MS

Hey there would love for you to be my mentor. For various reasons, one is that I enjoyed reading your profile and second I am also doing the 70.3 in Syracuse which would give me the opportunity to meet you this yr!!  How cool would that be!!!  LOL.  I have been doing triathlons since 2009.  In 2010 I completed my first HIM.  I am self coached so I do not improve as I would love to.  Looking to get a coach however, in 2010 I got relocated to Jackson, MS and it has been a struggle to find a local coach.  My season has started out non exsistent since I have not really been training since Oct 2010.  Some three miler's and some biking has been done but no swiming.  In March 2010 I attended a triathlon camp and have some great pointers also, has a swm analysis done which I got back this week.   I guess what I truely need is some guidance and support.  Would love to hear from you.

Denise

2011-04-24 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3463238

User image

Veteran
Maryland

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-24 1:43 PM
johnnyfulltime - 2011-04-23 6:26 PM This was my first week training for my HIM, and I feel pretty good. I had a good confidence building session on the bike this morning, and a really amazing run this afternoon. My biggest challenge to finish out the week is not to gorge myself on Easter dinner and candy tomorrow. Willpower can be in such short supply at big family dinners. I hope everyone celebrating Easter or St. George's day has a wonderful time this weekend. Good luck getting ready for your race Jackie.
What's your half-iron plan look like? How many days/week and how many s/b/r workouts? I did a "beginner" workout in 2009 for my HIM, mostly because it seemed the most forgiving for a tight schedule like I have. When your plan calls for 6 days a week, and 2 workouts on a couple of days, it's hard to miss workouts. Between my wife's softball games and my sons various activities, birthday parties, etc, I'm sure to miss a few workouts.

I used the BT custom plan builder for my HIM plan. I'm training 6 days a week with 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 2 swims. I'd like to schedule another swim and run in there, but I need to be realistic about my other commitments. I figured it was better to be able to add a bonus run or swim if I get the chance than to continually miss workouts.

2011-04-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3463249

User image

Veteran
Maryland

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-24 1:52 PM So, question for the group: when you race, do you have a goal? I typically have a "realistic" goal and a "stretch" goal. For my half, "realistic" is under 2h, but I'd really like to beat my PR from 2009. For my Oly in June, realistic is to beat my time of last year (3:15 or so), but I'd low to break 3h. I went into my HIM with the goal of just finishing, but in retrospect, I wish I'd set the bar a little higher for myself. I finished in 6:04, which I'm immensely proud of, esp. since it was my 1st half and since I'd battled injuries all year, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little diappointed to come so close to breaking 6h and missing by four minutes.

I do pretty much this same system. I set goals that I know are easy to attain, so easy that they don't cause me any stress on race day but don't really push me very hard. I then also have ambitions provided everything is going well come race day. For me my "easy" goal is to finish my HIM, with an added bit of challenge to finish it in under 7 hours. Without really knowing what I'm getting into I'm setting more ambitious goals of sub 32 minutes on the swim, survive the bike, and run under 1:58. As the summer goes by and I have a better feel for what I'm doing, I may re-evaluate those goals.

2011-04-24 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-04-24 12:52 PM

So, question for the group: when you race, do you have a goal? I typically have a "realistic" goal and a "stretch" goal. For my half, "realistic" is under 2h, but I'd really like to beat my PR from 2009. For my Oly in June, realistic is to beat my time of last year (3:15 or so), but I'd low to break 3h.

So far, I've done one half marathon & one sprint tri (along with 4 shorter races). I have been setting 2 goals for my 'bigger' events...to finish & then a time goal. My 1st HM I wanted to finish & my time goal was under 3 hours. My 'dream' goal was under 2:45. Well, it was a LOT hillier than where I train so i was pretty happy with my time of 2:57...though I was also a little disappointed.I think my next HM has even more hills, but my goal is to set a PR. My secondary goal is to beat 2:45, but I haven't been getting in the training to make that seem likely.

For my tri, my goal on 1st ws to finish & secondary goal was under 2 hours. I did it in about 1:50! My2nd tri is double the swim...& it is an outdoor swim. And, the bike leg is 2 miles longer. But, it is flatter & I hope not as windy! My goal is under 2 hours.

I do have a question for everyone/anyone. I don't know if it is a post-race syndrome or something, but after both of my big 1st races, i've gone into a little slump of emotions. It feels like the blues or slight depression. Part of it is i'm sad that I am so slow! I have done my best & I really train hard & practically don't miss any workouts...but I am near the back of the pack! It is so frustrating. At the time, I think I should just quit. I'm just not 'good' at it. I'd be thrilled to be a mid-packer...or would I? I'd actually like to be age group competitive...but that is a far off dream at this point.

Any thoughts?
2011-04-24 9:25 PM

New user

Clarksville, Tn
My goal currently will be to be a best prepared as I can for my first tri in September. Having trouble finding a pool without lots of kids but working on that. Finally found a part time bike training partner. Will be good to have someone pushing me. My goal for the first race will be to finish.
2011-04-24 11:19 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Denise-- happy to have you in the group!
2011-04-24 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3463613

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
imsmiley88 - 2011-04-24 8:26 PM

I do have a question for everyone/anyone. I don't know if it is a post-race syndrome or something, but after both of my big 1st races, i've gone into a little slump of emotions. It feels like the blues or slight depression. Part of it is i'm sad that I am so slow! I have done my best & I really train hard & practically don't miss any workouts...but I am near the back of the pack! It is so frustrating. At the time, I think I should just quit. I'm just not 'good' at it. I'd be thrilled to be a mid-packer...or would I? I'd actually like to be age group competitive...but that is a far off dream at this point.

Any thoughts?

I definitely get the post-race blues. ESp after long races or ones I've been training for for a long time. After my HIM in 09'it was really hard to get back to any kind of training and I really thought about quitting triathlon.

As for being more competitive, I think that to really unlock your fullest potential as a triathlete, you do need a professional coach.
I think that mentor groups and self-coaching can take you a long way, but unless you already have a significant running, cycling or swimming background, it's really hard to get to FOP level w/out a coach to guide you. There are a couple of really good ones on BT.

2011-04-25 1:38 AM

Jonah,

I'm just starting a training program for an Olympic Tri in Deleware 14 Aug 11.  I would love to have someone more experienced to mentor me.  If you have the time let me know.

Patrick Piazza

2011-04-25 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Dana- Give yourself credit for being out there and consistantly training. You have lost 30+ pounds and have become a ton more active! Don't forget that that is an accomplishment. That being said, I have also experienced post-race blues. My last tri & HM of 2010 where right around the start of the holidays. With nothing to train for, I fell into old bad habits (lots of skipped workouts & indulged in high-cal treats)& gained back about 8 lbs in 2 months.

My weakest area was the bike and I was so frustrated with my results from my Oly tri in Oct. I knew a couple other girls doing it and I beat all of them in the swim & run, but guess what? They kicked my a$$ on the bike and beat me overall. So I know that frustration about being slow

I'm very lucky that one of the guys I bike with has become my unofficial coach & has been helping me to get better. He's taught me how to ride hills & flats. And has given me a lot of advice for gym workouts & trainer sessions. So I definately agree about the coach thing. I'm very excited to see how my bike time looks at this next tri.

Jonah- As far as goals go, I have time goals for each event of my races based on my training. For this upcoming tri, I expect to have a really good bike time for me because I have been focusing on this area. I would like to have a decent run and just survive the swim since I have hardly swam at all this year (I'm confident I can safely do the distance, but know I have not put in the work to have a good time).

Last year at this tri, I biked an average of 13mph and ran the 5K in 35 mins.So, based on what I'm doing in training, my goals for this tri are to average at least 16 mph on the bike and run the 5K in under 28 mins. Ambitious, but I think it's possible. Like I said, no expectations for the swim. Overall, I just want to have a fun race and know I've given my best effort.

2011-04-26 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

I had a good run this morning. I've been using a treadmill some of the time to save my knees the pounding from the concrete, and being able to pace on the treadmill has been nice. I've been backing my pace down from 10 minute miles to 9:30 miles, and I haven't had any problems keeping up so far. In fact, I really enjoy running at the faster pace. Maybe I'm just getting in better shape and the lower weight is nice on the legs, but I don't hurt so much anymore after the runs.

The bike is a different story. To get in enough bike workouts I have to get up really early and use the trainer in my basement. Does anyone else feel nothing but pain while on a trainer? I get a bit sore while out riding, but on the trainer it feels like constant pain and pressure, and things go numb quickly that I really wish wouldn't go numb. The trainer sessions are definitely not enjoyable.

My swim workout just isn't going to happen today. My daughter has pink eye so I can't drop her off at the pool's child care facility, even though I'm pretty sure she got it from there. The poor thing looks so miserable.

I hope everyone else is having a great day. Jackie, are you managing to stay calm, or are the pre-race jitters starting to creep in?

2011-04-26 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
just looked at my calender and my first race this year is in 2 weeks ish!!  (ows sprint) so need to get running Not too worried about the swim i know im a better swimmer than i was last year and ive got a better bikeas well.
2011-04-26 4:16 PM

User image

New user

Halstead

Dave - good luck with the race. Make sure you let us all know how it goes.

Johnny - Going numb in places that shouldn't go numb is something that i'd imagine is never a good thing and something that I don't really want to experience. In saying that, I am totally new to cycling, recognise that I need the practice so am seriously thinking about getting rollers or a turbo for my bike. I wonder if the reason yours hurts so much is around the type you have. I know people who swear by their turbos but haven't mentioned that it hurts any more/different to a normal ride. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say about this before I do get one of these turbos.

Now a question to anyone and everyone. Has anyone had any trouble with their IT bands. Mine has always ached/hurt ever since I was about 18 but it either goes away or I forget about it. While training for my HM this year I remember it aching at one point but then it went until after the race, when it totally killed. Is there anything else I can do to speed up the recovery (other than buying a foam roller) and prevent it from hurting in the future?

2011-04-26 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
I have been really proud of my workouts the past 2 days. I am on a trip to Oklahoma & had grand exercising plans...but we're having floods here! Thankfully, they live on a hill so we are fine. But I couldn't make it to the gym & tonight's group bike ride was out.

So, what did I do? I found another way! Yesterday, there was about an hour & a half in the morning when it wasn't raining. So, I went running on the hill! It is a gravel road & was washed out in places. But I did a .3 mile loop up & down the hill for 5.5 miles! Then the thunder & rain started up again.

Today, I was so disappointed that my plans weren't going to work out. After being sad, I asked my sister-in-law what kind of equipment she had. Answer: elliptical, step, & mat in the garage. So, I went to the garage & did 35 HARD minutes on the elliptical. Then I took the step out to the driveway. From the hill, I could look down on the flooded Illinois River. I put in my headset & did 30 minutes of step! I used to LOVE step, but haven't done it in years. It was wonderful!

I brought the mat into the house but haven't used it yet. I'll do some crunches before bed. And, I'm hoping I can get to the gym tomorrow! There is evidently a wonderful lady who teaches most of the classes.

So, how about you? What do you do when your plans fall through? Do you give up? Or find another way? I am really proud of my attitude of getting it done...no matter what!

How bad do you want it? That's my new slogan.
2011-04-26 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3465875

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
jpbis26 - 2011-04-25 10:50 PM

Dana- Give yourself credit for being out there and consistantly training. You have lost 30+ pounds and have become a ton more active! Don't forget that that is an accomplishment. That being said, I have also experienced post-race blues. My last tri & HM of 2010 where right around the start of the holidays. With nothing to train for, I fell into old bad habits (lots of skipped workouts & indulged in high-cal treats)& gained back about 8 lbs in 2 months

Thanks for the encouragement. You are right! It is just frustrating sometimes. I have to look back at my accomplishments & successes!

2011-04-26 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Went out & did the 15 mile race course today. Finished in 47 mins. Ave speed 17mph. I was super excited to see that, especially since it was very windy today & we had to slow down for traffic in several places. Maybe I could ave over 17mph during the race. That would be awesome! Definately improved more than I thought over the past several months. Now, I'm just looking to relax until Saturday.
2011-04-27 12:04 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Johnny- I'm actually not nervous at all for the race. Last year this was my firts tri and I was super nervous, but this year I'm just really looking forward to it.  I've done the course several times (it's right in my neighborhood) and am very confident about being able to complete the distances. Pumpkinman in October will be a different story. I'm sure I'll be freaking out (I'm doing the long course and I'm not very confident about those distances yet)

Dana- Great job getting in the training! The ellptical can be great for improving your overall cardio. I do an elliptical session once a week. I admire your determination. I'm not always as dedicated

2011-04-27 3:03 AM

Hi everyone and the mentor- jmk!!,

Looks like a good group to join.....

STORY: I'm from Sri Lanka, the small country just below the tip of India. I do not think anybody else has joined a group like this before from my country, for the simple reason, we have not had any rated Triathlons to date. But there are some people who are trying to promote it.

It's been one my dreams to try a triathlon and came to know of OSIM Singapore Tri, when I was in Singapore last month and got registered. Hence I will be attempting my first Tria'n in Singapore on 31st July this year. - Olympics.

I'm 43 years, 5, 7" and 78 pounds.

I barely got three months for training, and planning start the 12 wk, Olympics basic ( RPE Based) schedule that I got as a Silver member in BT.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 6 years. One kid, a daughter 5 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm generally OK in running, though not really fast. Bikes- started recently an at a manageable level. Swimming; I have done two two mile sea swims when I was 18 and has been out of touch since then. Hence as of now swimming is my biggest challenge.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Took part in a couple of athletic events only:

2011 Races: OSIM Singapore International Triathlon 2011: 31st July(Olympics)

WEIGHT LOSS: I was 99 KGs, in beginning of 2010. Came down to 76 kg through my athletics. Now at 78 kg. Aiming to be around 70 kg by July.

I am planning to start my formal training plan tomorrow, which I have imported to my training blog. I am confused with some of the jargon there, and would like to have your help. Is this the correct forum for that?

My tomorrow's schedule is copied below and am confused with the RPE (Low, middle, upper..etc) thing for the bike.

Bike ME
Muscular Endurance
WU: 15'
MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI: ???
#1 End at low RPE 7
#2 End at middle RPE 7
#3 End at upper RPE 7
#4 End at lower RPE 8
#5 Build to RPE 8 in first 45s and hold : ???
CD: 15'
-----------Sujith

2011-04-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3468200

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
bandulasu - 2011-04-27 3:03 AM

Hi everyone and the mentor- jmk!!,

Looks like a good group to join.....

STORY: I'm from Sri Lanka, the small country just below the tip of India. I do not think anybody else has joined a group like this before from my country, for the simple reason, we have not had any rated Triathlons to date. But there are some people who are trying to promote it.

It's been one my dreams to try a triathlon and came to know of OSIM Singapore Tri, when I was in Singapore last month and got registered. Hence I will be attempting my first Tria'n in Singapore on 31st July this year. - Olympics.

I'm 43 years, 5, 7" and 78 pounds.

I barely got three months for training, and planning start the 12 wk, Olympics basic ( RPE Based) schedule that I got as a Silver member in BT.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 6 years. One kid, a daughter 5 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm generally OK in running, though not really fast. Bikes- started recently an at a manageable level. Swimming; I have done two two mile sea swims when I was 18 and has been out of touch since then. Hence as of now swimming is my biggest challenge.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Took part in a couple of athletic events only:

2011 Races: OSIM Singapore International Triathlon 2011: 31st July(Olympics)

WEIGHT LOSS: I was 99 KGs, in beginning of 2010. Came down to 76 kg through my athletics. Now at 78 kg. Aiming to be around 70 kg by July.

I am planning to start my formal training plan tomorrow, which I have imported to my training blog. I am confused with some of the jargon there, and would like to have your help. Is this the correct forum for that?

My tomorrow's schedule is copied below and am confused with the RPE (Low, middle, upper..etc) thing for the bike.

Bike ME
Muscular Endurance
WU: 15'
MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI: ???
#1 End at low RPE 7
#2 End at middle RPE 7
#3 End at upper RPE 7
#4 End at lower RPE 8
#5 Build to RPE 8 in first 45s and hold : ???
CD: 15'
-----------Sujith

Great! Welcome. Is your name Sujith? I think you're right that you might be the first BT-er from Sri Lanka.
2011-04-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3463771

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
ppiazza - 2011-04-25 1:38 AM

Jonah,

I'm just starting a training program for an Olympic Tri in Deleware 14 Aug 11.  I would love to have someone more experienced to mentor me.  If you have the time let me know.

Patrick Piazza

Come on in! Which race are you doing in DE? I vacation every year in Lewes, and I'm pretty familiar with the races down there. I'll take a guess and say you're doing the Make-a-Wish tri at Sea Colony in Bethany? The year I did it was kind of a mess, so I haven't been back, but I love it down there. I've done the sprint at Cape Henlopen in Lewes a couple of times.

2011-04-27 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3468156

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jpbis26 - 2011-04-26 11:53 PM

Went out & did the 15 mile race course today. Finished in 47 mins. Ave speed 17mph. I was super excited to see that, especially since it was very windy today & we had to slow down for traffic in several places. Maybe I could ave over 17mph during the race. That would be awesome! Definately improved more than I thought over the past several months. Now, I'm just looking to relax until Saturday.

Great job. It's amazing how much better you feel when you know what the course is going to throw at you in advance, isn't it? Are you doing any training this week or just resting up?
2011-04-27 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Whew—
Hi Everybody—I’m finally back in the US and the world of regular Internet connectivity, so I’m definitely ready to get my mentor on.

A few formalities:

Just to review, we’ve got:
Jmk-brooklyn , aka Jonah, Brooklyn NY
Jpbis, aka Jackie- Las Vegas NV
JLAshley, aka Judy (not sure—gonna guess New England?)
Klove13, aka Kevin-DC/Long Island NY
RoyBird, aka Roy-Essex England
Thirdstation, aka Mark-Hudson Valley NY
Johnnyfulltime, aka Johnny—(location?)
CdBranson, aka Charlie—(location?)
BlindDave, aka Adam- England
Imsmiley88, aka Dana—(location?)
Zmoulier, aka Denise—Jackson MS
Ppiazza, aka Patrick—not sure—Mid-Atlantic, somewhere?
Bandulasu-Not sure, but Sujith is at the bottom of your page, so I’ll guess that that’s your name?—Sri Lanka

I think that’s everyone. Did I miss anyone?

Welcome to everyone. We have a really diverse group, which is great I think. Diverse in terms of experience as well as geographically. Two people from England and one from SriLanka? How cool is that?

For those of you who didn’t list your location, if that was an oversight, please do so; I think it’s fun to know where everyone is, and useful as far as suggesting local races and training opportunities. However, if you purposely didn’t list your location for privacy reasons, I totally get that, and please don’t feel any pressure to share more info than you’re comfortable doing.

I was going to close the group, but 13 people seems unlucky to me, so I’ll leave it open and see if we can pick up one more person. If anyone is more html-savvy than me, and you’d like to put the adjacent info into a nice little grid or something we can all post on our training logs, that’d be great. We should also all “friend” each other on BT so that we all have access to each other’s training logs.
Which brings me to:

I’m going to go on a training log-updating frenzy tonight and try to get rid of all of those white boxes. Hate ‘em. Trying to log workouts on an iphone is really hard, so I didn’t do it at all when I was away. I usually log my workouts, my weight, and my eating. I don’t use the BT nutritional calculator because I’m too lazy, but it’s an amazing tool, esp if you’re actively trying to lose weight.

I had a “Biggest Loser” challenge with my wife on vacation to see who could gain the least amount of weight on vacation. I won. I actually lost two pounds, which is nothing short of miraculous.

I’ve come back right in the thick of things for me. I’ve got a duathlon on Mother’s day, a half-marathon a couple of weeks later, and a really tough Olympic tri shortly after that. Now would probably be a good time to start riding my bike more consistently….
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16