BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-07 4:13 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL

***I AM VERY SORRY, BUT THIS POD IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS***

Welcome to Yanti and Lynn's Manatees! We're all mentors and 'mentees' but 'Manatees' sounds more fun!

You are welcome in this group no matter how preliminary or advanced you are in triathlon or endurance sports. Just to establish our street (swim/cycle) cred, we’ve done a bunch of triathlons, multisport and distance running events, have lost a ton of weight, and have manatee'd (mentored) for practically ever.

Yanti

Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with the national and high school team. In the U.S, I coached/competed in martial arts at the world level, but became sedentary after an injury. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—before long I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I’m back in Indonesia on the paradise island of Bali, where I've started a triathlon club and coaching.

It’s been awesome to do races in many different countries. I’m ~140lb lighter now than my max weight. My goals are modest this season as I'm coming off three horrendous tropical diseases in the last year, but I’m committed to getting YOU to your various starting and finish lines, whatever those may be.

Personal: I'm 34, delightfully single, have a black Lab who's smarter than I am and is training a new puppy and my four insane cats to be that way, too. We call it the Funny Farm here.    

Lynn

I've done 1 iron-distance aquabike, 3 half-irons, 3 marathons, 6 half-marathons and a few gazillion other tris, and am training for an Ironman (Couer d'Alene, Idaho) in June! I've always been active, but having a family meant I sometimes neglected consistent exercise. About 9 years ago when the clothes in my closet didn’t fit anymore, I joined a weight management program, dropped 30 pounds and kept it off. It's been a whole lifestyle change and the activity is one in many parts to my health and well-being.

I did my first 5K 3 years ago only because I knew I could walk if I couldn't run all of it. That's the way I approached my first 1/2 marathon as well—and I didn't walk in either, btw!

I started tri’s in 2008 after a friend died of breast cancer. I realized life could be short, so I did the BT beginner sprint tri program, the triathlon, survived, and was hooked! I've researched and experienced a great deal about triathlon and its sports, and I'd like to pass on info and encouragement to you if you want to embrace the s/b/r lifestyle or any part of it.

Personal: I'm married, am 50 (yikes! ha ha), have a teenage son who's a sophomore in high school, a dog, Augie, who's kinda nutty and 3 kitties.

It's never too late to tri; it’s never too late to be who you might have been either. I look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Edited by TriAya 2011-04-13 9:59 PM

2011-04-12 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: OPEN for YOU!

There you (here we) are! I am still in it to win it and glad the group continues over here. I havent been around alot in the last few weeks but am still at it, and will update shortly!

Dugongs Rock!

Edited by bluwatersoul 2011-04-12 11:19 AM
2011-04-12 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3442264

User image

Melon Presser
bluwatersoul - 2011-04-13 1:19 AM

There you (here we) are! I am still in it to win it and glad the group continues over here. I havent been around alot in the last few weeks but am still at it, and will update shortly!

Dugongs Rock!

Manatee Megan lives forever. It's okay if you pop in and out ... that's also why we have two co-mentors. It's really good to see you.

2011-04-12 12:31 PM

User image

Seattle

Hello!

My name is Adrienne and I am pretty much a newbie. I completed my first sprint tri last month and am training for a few more this summer (two more sprints and an Oly.) I am also doing some long running races 5Ks, 10Ks and maybe a half mary and some long bike rides.

My goals are to maintain a high level of fitness/weight specific goals and to complete a HIM next summer.  Probably the bigger goal is to continue having fun, not get injured and not take it too seriously. 

Thank you so much for your help!

2011-04-12 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3442462

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-04-13 2:31 AM

Hello!

My name is Adrienne and I am pretty much a newbie. I completed my first sprint tri last month and am training for a few more this summer (two more sprints and an Oly.) I am also doing some long running races 5Ks, 10Ks and maybe a half mary and some long bike rides.

My goals are to maintain a high level of fitness/weight specific goals and to complete a HIM next summer.  Probably the bigger goal is to continue having fun, not get injured and not take it too seriously. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Adrienne! Congrats, TRIATHLETE and welcome to the Manatee pod.

New(ish) you may be, but the bolded part ... all of us no matter how long we've been around need to remember that ...

I also know a gazillion awesome tri/endurance people in Seattle I can hook you up with, if you're not into the local scene already.

2011-04-12 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran

I am sooo not done...heck .. I haven't even started yet!!!  .... can I please please please continue with you two????   I'm at work so will update later if you will still have me.  (Please???)

Kathy

2011-04-12 3:11 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!  So glad you to see you guys open!!  I'm so glad to be back in with this great group.  

Yanti, thanks for the inspire today.  My swimming has improved thanks to the swim clinic.  I just need to stay consistent  in the water.  I very much needed a rest day today and am enjoying the day resting my muscles.

My first triathlon of the season is next week!  I did this triathlon as my very first one last year, so I'm super exited to see my progress from last year to this year.  If anything, I'm hoping for quicker transitions and a quicker swim.  So far the weather has the temps in the high 30s for the morning.  A little nervous about that.  Why can't Indiana make up it's mind.  It's been frezzing, hot, rainy, windy all in a span of days.  Grrrrrrr.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.  Welcome new and past manatees.  

2011-04-12 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

Hey Ladies/Manatees/Trichicks,

I would love to join your group. It looks like you have a lot of fun over here!!

Personal:

I am 49-getting to compete in the 50-55 AG this year due to the December birthday (yay!), married forever, 2 grown sons (well...they think they are anyway..are they ever??) 28 and 25. Current babies are my 2 dogs. So much easier than the boys were!!

Tris & Stuff:

Started tri training in late 2007 with a couple friends to get off the couch and quit smoking. First sprint tri alone and 2nd with a relay in summer 2008. Loved it. Quit smoking finally totally in jan 2009. Did a couple more sprints in 2009 with some 5k runs for fun. Decided to work on OLY distance and trained for it in 2010 but it didn't happen. Personal and financial difficulties sidelined the race plans. I've lost my training buddies along the way for the most part. One doesn't run and one swims like a rock...I did manage tri for the cure last summer, but that was the only tri. SO-this is the OLY summer. I am training pretty well and am registered for 3 OLYs and want to complete 2 or 3 sprints also. Since I do mostly train alone, (drag the hubby to the pool and he bikes occasionally with..) I look to groups of like minded yahoos like me that enjoy the ridiculous amounts of training and slightly obsessed mindset of endurance athletics.

So, if you'll have me, I would be so grateful to join your group!!

thanks, Holly

2011-04-12 3:45 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Welcome back, Kathy and Claire! You guys rock. The winter Manatee season always seems too short, no?

If you are a returning Manatee, please be sure to introduce yourselves again for our newer folks. Thanks!!!

2011-04-12 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3442906

User image

Melon Presser
Hollz - 2011-04-13 5:39 AM

Hey Ladies/Manatees/Trichicks,

I would love to join your group. It looks like you have a lot of fun over here!!

Personal:

I am 49-getting to compete in the 50-55 AG this year due to the December birthday (yay!), married forever, 2 grown sons (well...they think they are anyway..are they ever??) 28 and 25. Current babies are my 2 dogs. So much easier than the boys were!!

Tris & Stuff:

Started tri training in late 2007 with a couple friends to get off the couch and quit smoking. First sprint tri alone and 2nd with a relay in summer 2008. Loved it. Quit smoking finally totally in jan 2009. Did a couple more sprints in 2009 with some 5k runs for fun. Decided to work on OLY distance and trained for it in 2010 but it didn't happen. Personal and financial difficulties sidelined the race plans. I've lost my training buddies along the way for the most part. One doesn't run and one swims like a rock...I did manage tri for the cure last summer, but that was the only tri. SO-this is the OLY summer. I am training pretty well and am registered for 3 OLYs and want to complete 2 or 3 sprints also. Since I do mostly train alone, (drag the hubby to the pool and he bikes occasionally with..) I look to groups of like minded yahoos like me that enjoy the ridiculous amounts of training and slightly obsessed mindset of endurance athletics.

So, if you'll have me, I would be so grateful to join your group!!

thanks, Holly

Hi Holly and welcome! CONGRATS on your fitness, tris, and free breathing (me too! yippee!)

So far this group is all ladies but there's usually a bunch of guys, too. Except for one season where we had a token, and he wound up having a baby Manatee--so cute!!! And he and another Manatee are mentors now, too.

Ha. My parents are 82 and 78 this year, and they *still* think I'm their baby despite the fact that both have serious health problems and I take care of them or now, manage their care. (Lived with them for 7 months to do so, now have my own place THANK GOD!!!)

2011-04-12 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Well, HELLO Ladies (so far)!! Great to "see" familiar faces and some new ones. Welcome to us all.

Only one thing to add to the bio at the top -- got another dog. Sadie's a Bernese Mountain dog who is just my most adorable daughter ever. I also have 3 kitties -- pretty laid back, mellow ones.

We're gonna have us some fun with this new(ish) Manatee group, or should I say pod?

Let's see if we can wrangle us up some men-folk.

2011-04-12 5:24 PM

User image

Still room? If you still need a token guy, I'm up for the job.

I did my first tri last fall, a sprint that the swim part got truncated at the last minute (thank God, as it's my worst leg).  Was wavering for a while whether I'd tri again this year, but figure to give it another go.  And a support/mentor group should help immensely.

The winters are long here in the mountains of Colorado and all the snow (great for skiing) makes it hard to train outside.  So, I'm in definite need of getting going.  Since I'm not quite at the square one that I was last spring, I'm considering upping the distance this year and got my eye on an olympic in August.

My biking and running aren't awesome but I know they'll come around.  As for swimming, I pretty much had to learn to swim from the beginning last year.  During the hours in the pool, I adopted the manatee as my swimming spirit animal, so maybe this group is just right.

Hope I can join,

Tony

[Edited because my phone apparently doesn't believe in paragraphs or letting me spell my own words.]

Edited by Lag 2011-04-12 10:05 PM
2011-04-12 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

<swim swim swim>  Phew!  I made it! 

Returning Manatee Here!  Sooooo excited to continue on with my favorite peeps of BT.

My name is Crystal - I'm 30 years old (turning 31 in just 10 more days).  I have 5 kiddos - 4 girls, ages 13, 9, 6 and 3, and 1 little guy who is 14 months.  I work full-time, run a business on the side, and am trying to get another one off the ground this quarter.  Yes...I am crazy.

A goal I set for myself when I turned 30 was to complete a triathlon.  Being my procrastinating self, I chose Tri for the Cure on 03/20 - which was just 1 month before my 31st birthday.  haha.  I joined the Manatees when they opened up the Winter mentor program, and I've "met" sooooo many great people.  I've been so impressed with and encouraged by the wonderful support system the tri community has.  Logging in to see  New Inspires is one of the greatest feelings.  Anyway...I digress...I started my training somewhat strong in the November/December time frame, got put on a horrendous project at work, then all the kids got several rounds of illnesses -- and needless to say my training suffered.  But I wasn't going to drop out of the triathlon - I did pay $80 dangit!  So, by 9am on March 20th, I was a triathlete for the first time!  And now......I'm hooked.  I thought maybe it would just be a one-time accomplishment that I would cross off my "bucket list", but I am here to stay.  

Looking forward to making progress this year, and "possibly" up my Sprint distance to an Oly for my race in October if I'm in good enough shape. 

{{{{Apple Press}}}} to everyone  (no Melons over here....hehe)

2011-04-12 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3443104

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Lag - 2011-04-12 3:24 PM Still room? If you still need a token guy, I'm up for the job.I did my first tri last fall, a sprint that the swim part got truncated at the last minute (thank God, as it's my worst leg).Was wavering for a while whether I'd tri again this year, but figure to give it another go. And a support/mentore group should help immensely.The winters are long here in the mountains of Colorado and all the snow (great for skiing) makes it hard to train outside. So, I'm in definite need of getting going. Since I'm not quite at the square one that I was last spring, I'm considering upping the distance this year and got my eye on an olympic in August.My biking and running aren't awesome but I know they'll come around. As for swimming, I pretty much had to learn to swim from the beginning last year. During the hours in the pool, I adopted the manatee as my swimming spirit animal, so maybe this group is just right.Hope I can join,Tony

TONY!!! Welcome! Maybe we'll get a man-friend for you but for now your a man-a-tee! That makes two of you from CO! The altitude sure works in your favor when you come down to our level!
2011-04-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3443109

User image

Master
Vista, CA
crystalashworth - 2011-04-12 3:26 PM

Phew!  I made it! 

Returning Manatee Here!  Sooooo excited to continue on with my favorite peeps of BT.

My name is Crystal - I'm 30 years old (turning 31 in just 10 more days).  I have 5 kiddos - 4 girls, ages 13, 9, 6 and 3, and 1 little guy who is 14 months.  I work full-time, run a business on the side, and am trying to get another one off the ground this quarter.  Yes...I am crazy.

A goal I set for myself when I turned 30 was to complete a triathlon.  Being my procrastinating self, I chose Tri for the Cure on 03/20 - which was just 1 month before my 31st birthday.  haha.  I joined the Manatees when they opened up the Winter mentor program, and I've "met" sooooo many great people.  I've been so impressed with and encouraged by the wonderful support system the tri community has.  Logging in to see  New Inspires is one of the greatest feelings.  Anyway...I digress...I started my training somewhat strong in the November/December time frame, got put on a horrendous project at work, then all the kids got several rounds of illnesses -- and needless to say my training suffered.  But I wasn't going to drop out of the triathlon - I did pay $80 dangit!  So, by 9am on March 20th, I was a triathlete for the first time!  And now......I'm hooked.  I thought maybe it would just be a one-time accomplishment that I would cross off my "bucket list", but I am here to stay.  

Looking forward to making progress this year, and "possibly" up my Sprint distance to an Oly for my race in October if I'm in good enough shape. 

{{{{Apple Press}}}} to everyone  (no Melons over here....hehe)

Hi Crystal!! Yea!! So glad you're continuing on the high and mighty manatee wave with us! I don't think I remembered how darn busy you are......and manage to get in the training. Is there a big "S" on your chest because Superwoman might just be your new name!
2011-04-12 7:53 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Just a little bio about me.  I'm 41 years old, married with two awesome girls (10 and almost 6).  I started tris a year ago at the suggestion and motivation from my twin sister who has been triing for a few years!  Swimming has been my weak discipline.  I started swimming about a year and a half ago.  I've made a lot of progress, but have anxieties about OWS.  My first OWS was last summer and it was a disaster.  My goal is to get comfortable in OWS and do HIM Racine in July.  The manatee group has been a wonderful support system and it gets me motivated to read everyone's stories.

Crystal, LOL about {{apple presses}}.   How about a nice little {{kiwi Press}} from me. 

2011-04-12 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3443332

User image

Dallas, TX

I want to play!!!!My name is Teddie. I am pretty new to this. Growing up I was never really athletic, skied a bit in high school, but that's about it. As an adult I took up horseback riding (talk about an expensive sport- triathlon is cheap, cheap, cheap in comparison). I was pretty hard core and showed regionally in dressage (just about the most boring horse sport to watch). I started traveling for work and my horse developed arthritis, he earned a nice cushy retirement. I started biking with some friends and decided I liked it. I've biked on and off for the last 5 years. I've also intermittently ran, but quit after a few months when I injured myself.

Last year I got tired of being fairly inactive. I joined a boot camp type program (lost 30 pounds, yea!!). One of my workout friends did tris. I used to work with a woman that did them, she did IM's and qualified for Kona. I was fascinated my tris but did not think they were for normal people. Last year when I saw my friend doing them I realized it was something that I could actually do!I had swim lessons as a kid but nothing in over 20 years. I found a coach and did some lessons last fall. I am now swimming with a masters group. I am still very sllllllooooooooooow, but I can swim pretty far now. I did my first tri last fall, it was a pool swim and I did fairly well. My second was in March in Palm Springs. I had talked a bunch of my coworkers into did it, but they all backed out . I did it and had a blast. It was my first OWS. I have a really bad habit of signing up for thinks then figuring out if I can really do it. That let me sign up for an Oly a little over a week ago. I was worried and knew I was not ready. I tried to change to the sprint but could not get ahold of the race director. Basically it was a disaster. The swim was in the bay and there were waves. I had worked myself up about it panicked. I inhaled about 4 gallons of salt water. The bike was equally bad, I cramped up and could not eat or drink anything. Then the run was just about as bad, I still could not drink ( and Houston is hot and humid) and had to walk a little each mile. Not the most fun day. But I survived.

Right now I do not have a plan for the rest of the year, and I do much better having something to work towards. I think I am going to do a couple local sprints and maybe a Oly in the fall. I am doing the Warrior Dash this weekend, but I am dressing like a Easter bunny, so I think it will slow me down! My plan is to throw chocolate eggs at any one hat passes me. I am also tentatively planning to do the rock and roll HM in Veags in Dec. I think I have mynsister-in-law convinced to do it with me.What else - I am single (2 bad cats). One of my big limiters is I travel a lot of work. I am typically on the road 3-4 days a week. Running is easy to fit in, the rest not so much. Overall I am slow and probally always will be, but I am doing this for fun. I am most comfortable on the bike and I tend to ignore that training the most. Swimming is my weakest (at least mentally). I plan to do as many OWS as I can.

Edited by kussmaul 2011-04-12 9:08 PM
2011-04-12 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3443417

User image

Dallas, TX

Sorry that is so hard to read. I am using my iPad and for some reason it is taking out the spaces between the paragraphs.

That no longer makes sense, it was driving me crazy so I had to get on my laptop and fix it.

Edited by kussmaul 2011-04-12 9:09 PM
2011-04-12 9:10 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Crystal! Welcome back, yaaaay! {{{MELON PRESS}}} --that is a hug, to anyone who is wondering--

Tony, very glad to have you in the bay. If a manatee is your swimming inspiration, you are undoubtedly one of us. And my dad's name is Tony, and I spend most of my non-BT time right now translating his autobiography, so it seems all lucky!

2011-04-12 9:18 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi Teddie! Great to see you. I've seen some of your other posts on the board. Also, "kussmaul," is that your last name, or? I know what it means in German, and I do it to my dogs and cats

Congrats on your triathlons and plugging away at swimming. Indeed, not easy! But it can become that way, and enjoyably.

I am all about dressing up for races. Hop hop hop ... bunny tail twitch.

2011-04-12 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3443477

User image

Dallas, TX
Kussmaul was my cats name (I had to put him to sleep last year, he was 20). I am a nurse and I got him in nursing school as a kitten. One of my friends named him. We were studying diabetes at the time. Kussmaul breathing is what diabetics do when they are in a coma. It was different so inliked it. I used to live in Germany so I also liked it for that reason.

2011-04-12 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3443417

User image

Master
Vista, CA
kussmaul - 2011-04-12 6:41 PM

I want to play!!!!My name is Teddie. I am pretty new to this. Growing up I was never really athletic, skied a bit in high school, but that's about it. As an adult I took up horseback riding (talk about an expensive sport- triathlon is cheap, cheap, cheap in comparison). I was pretty hard core and showed regionally in dressage (just about the most boring horse sport to watch). I started traveling for work and my horse developed arthritis, he earned a nice cushy retirement. I started biking with some friends and decided I liked it. I've biked on and off for the last 5 years. I've also intermittently ran, but quit after a few months when I injured myself.

Last year I got tired of being fairly inactive. I joined a boot camp type program (lost 30 pounds, yea!!). One of my workout friends did tris. I used to work with a woman that did them, she did IM's and qualified for Kona. I was fascinated my tris but did not think they were for normal people. Last year when I saw my friend doing them I realized it was something that I could actually do!I had swim lessons as a kid but nothing in over 20 years. I found a coach and did some lessons last fall. I am now swimming with a masters group. I am still very sllllllooooooooooow, but I can swim pretty far now. I did my first tri last fall, it was a pool swim and I did fairly well. My second was in March in Palm Springs. I had talked a bunch of my coworkers into did it, but they all backed out . I did it and had a blast. It was my first OWS. I have a really bad habit of signing up for thinks then figuring out if I can really do it. That let me sign up for an Oly a little over a week ago. I was worried and knew I was not ready. I tried to change to the sprint but could not get ahold of the race director. Basically it was a disaster. The swim was in the bay and there were waves. I had worked myself up about it panicked. I inhaled about 4 gallons of salt water. The bike was equally bad, I cramped up and could not eat or drink anything. Then the run was just about as bad, I still could not drink ( and Houston is hot and humid) and had to walk a little each mile. Not the most fun day. But I survived.

Right now I do not have a plan for the rest of the year, and I do much better having something to work towards. I think I am going to do a couple local sprints and maybe a Oly in the fall. I am doing the Warrior Dash this weekend, but I am dressing like a Easter bunny, so I think it will slow me down! My plan is to throw chocolate eggs at any one hat passes me. I am also tentatively planning to do the rock and roll HM in Veags in Dec. I think I have mynsister-in-law convinced to do it with me.What else - I am single (2 bad cats). One of my big limiters is I travel a lot of work. I am typically on the road 3-4 days a week. Running is easy to fit in, the rest not so much. Overall I am slow and probally always will be, but I am doing this for fun. I am most comfortable on the bike and I tend to ignore that training the most. Swimming is my weakest (at least mentally). I plan to do as many OWS as I can.

Yes Welcome Easter Teddie! Which tri in Palm Springs? The Desert Tri March 5-6? I was there, too if that was it.
It's tough while traveling, especially if you're required to do biz dinner meetings and such. I do know more hotels will have spin bikes and pools/gyms/Y's are popping up everywhere, unless of course you end up in West Texas.
2011-04-12 10:06 PM

Hi,

I'd like to join.  I'm new here so excuse any confusion on my part.

A little about me-

My only race this year will be a sprint in June.  I've done this same race the last four years but this year I'm really training hard for it, really trying to pay attention and really wanting to win my catagory.  I'm a lawyer and a single parent to two kids (7 and 1) so my training time is very limited (and with the cost of babysitters- expensive).  Hopeing to learn a few tricks of the trade since I won't be trading up to a nice new tri bike anytime soon.

2011-04-12 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3443568

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-04-13 12:06 PM

Hi,

I'd like to join.  I'm new here so excuse any confusion on my part.

A little about me-

My only race this year will be a sprint in June.  I've done this same race the last four years but this year I'm really training hard for it, really trying to pay attention and really wanting to win my catagory.  I'm a lawyer and a single parent to two kids (7 and 1) so my training time is very limited (and with the cost of babysitters- expensive).  Hopeing to learn a few tricks of the trade since I won't be trading up to a nice new tri bike anytime soon.

Hi Grace! No confusion; you're here, you introduced yourself, you belong. Welcome to the Manatees and to BT!

What kind of a training plan are you using?

2011-04-12 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3443530

User image

Melon Presser

kussmaul - 2011-04-13 11:43 AM Kussmaul was my cats name (I had to put him to sleep last year, he was 20). I am a nurse and I got him in nursing school as a kitten. One of my friends named him. We were studying diabetes at the time. Kussmaul breathing is what diabetics do when they are in a coma. It was different so inliked it. I used to live in Germany so I also liked it for that reason.

How funny, I had completely forgotten about that! "Kussmaul" literally means "kiss the snout" ... where did you live in Germany?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43