BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-12-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3931898

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

TRINA -

With another bunch of days in which you likely contemplated your inevitability.....how are you feeling about White Rock?

I have thought more about the notion of "perspective", and while it doesn't help you now, it really is true what i said earlier. To wit: over the course of a "career" at this stuff, the DNF and the DNS happenings, for whatever reasons (sickness, injury, weather, mechanicals, family crises, work demands, etc), become easier to accept. That doesn't mean you have to be all sugary/creamy about them, but it just gets much easier to just move on.

The worst one for me was my last scheduled tri in '08, early Oct near Hagerstown, MD. That is about a 10-hour drive for me, but the race was important enough for possible USAT points that I decided to go -- even though some lower body achiness was happening. I had a good swim, by my humble standards, but about 3 mile sinto the bike I flatted the rear tire. I had a tough time changing it.....and after about two minutes I knew my USAT points hopes were gone. Then along came the "sag wagon", and I decided to take a ride back and bag the race and save whatever it was (can't temember) that was ailing me.

That was a good enough decision at the time, but it made for a very long ride home ---- AND a miserably long off-season until I could get some redemption at my first race the NEXT season. Grrrr!!!!

Following the gut is good!! Unless it's misled you more than once in the past, I recommend that you keep following it; it probably knows best!

Finally, never forget that this is all supposed to be fun, mostly. Sure, we try to stretch ourselves and grow some, but unless there is a really good reason to subject yourself to anything truly miserable, it is probably wise to avoid the obvious sufferfest situations -- in which this year's White Rock would nicely fall.

So.....Is it onwards to Cowtown??

2011-12-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3935754

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-12-12 7:35 PM GANG! Hmmm. I see I didn't miss much with my absence. Our computer "crashed" -- kind of literally, last week. The satellite receiver gizmo came unmoored from its bracket on the old antenna tower above our roof, and did the full plunge. It was only today that a tech guy could come by and replace it (and hopefully mount the new one better!!), and I guess we're good to go again. Onwards!

Guess it had a problem with all that new high speed bandwidth you just got and it just couldn't handle it    Good to see you back.

2011-12-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3936290

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Maybe. About the time it tumbled (or sproinged), I had discovered the vaast richness (????) of YouTube, and was knocking myself out in that wide-open landscape. So, maybe I just caused it to overload/explode. Ka-boom?

The USAT shakedown has happened, and right now I am sitting at 59, about 2/3 of the way through the H-M folks (24 above, 9 below?). I think 34 made A-A, and I think the last guy in H-M was at 68; that makes sense! I will be happy with this, even though it is a drop from about top 6% last year to 8.5% or so this year. Is that what getting a year older is all about?!?

What're ya up to?

Edited by stevebradley 2011-12-13 8:00 PM
2011-12-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3937344

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-12-13 5:20 PM JEFF - Maybe. About the time it tumbled (or sproinged), I had discovered the vaast richness (????) of YouTube, and was knocking myself out in that wide-open landscape. So, maybe I just caused it to overload/explode. Ka-boom? The USAT shakedown has happened, and right now I am sitting at 59, about 2/3 of the way through the H-M folks (24 above, 9 below?). I think 34 made A-A, and I think the last guy in H-M was at 68; that makes sense! I will be happy with this, even though it is a drop from about top 6% last year to 8.5% or so this year. Is that what getting a year older is all about?!? What're ya up to?

Well, Steve discovered Youtube!!!  You better have those guys install an extra bolt or two now that you have opened the door to the "vast richness" of the internet.  Seriously, I have found Youtube to be a great resource.  Lots of junk out there, but there is some good stuff as well.  For example, when we purchased the iPad there were great tutorials on how to use it and apps to use with it.  Also, some great technique swim videos.  One of my favorites is from Dave Scott and is here for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M

As far as what is going on in my world... just trying not to put on to many lbs's over the holiday season.  Doing some base building training until the 1st week of 2012.  Then I start a 12 week HIM Specific Preparation plan.  Looking forward to gathering with the entire family in about 9 days.

2011-12-15 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3935763

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

stevebradley - 2011-12-11 7:47 PM TRINA - With another bunch of days in which you likely contemplated your inevitability.....how are you feeling about White Rock? I have thought more about the notion of "perspective", and while it doesn't help you now, it really is true what i said earlier. To wit: over the course of a "career" at this stuff, the DNF and the DNS happenings, for whatever reasons (sickness, injury, weather, mechanicals, family crises, work demands, etc), become easier to accept. That doesn't mean you have to be all sugary/creamy about them, but it just gets much easier to just move on. The worst one for me was my last scheduled tri in '08, early Oct near Hagerstown, MD. That is about a 10-hour drive for me, but the race was important enough for possible USAT points that I decided to go -- even though some lower body achiness was happening. I had a good swim, by my humble standards, but about 3 mile sinto the bike I flatted the rear tire. I had a tough time changing it.....and after about two minutes I knew my USAT points hopes were gone. Then along came the "sag wagon", and I decided to take a ride back and bag the race and save whatever it was (can't temember) that was ailing me. That was a good enough decision at the time, but it made for a very long ride home ---- AND a miserably long off-season until I could get some redemption at my first race the NEXT season. Grrrr!!!! Following the gut is good!! Unless it's misled you more than once in the past, I recommend that you keep following it; it probably knows best! Finally, never forget that this is all supposed to be fun, mostly. Sure, we try to stretch ourselves and grow some, but unless there is a really good reason to subject yourself to anything truly miserable, it is probably wise to avoid the obvious sufferfest situations -- in which this year's White Rock would nicely fall. So.....Is it onwards to Cowtown??

Steve -

After more time to develop some retrospect, I still do believe I made the correct decision. Yes, I trained hard for it, but hey...one of the most important things about being an athlete is the ability to bounce-back from disappointment. I have and always will say (even with my very limited triathlon experience) that triathlon, or running, cycling, etc is just as much a mental sport as it is physical. To wit: I didn't want to do my 5K time trial today. I just didn't feel like running super hard and being out of breath and all, but mostly because I was afraid that I haven't improved any over the past year. But I went ahead and did the TT (mostly because my coach requested one) and - what do you know - I PR'd the run! Just goes to show you that once you face your fears they quickly melt away. 

I'm not afraid of a half mary. I am afraid, though, of a DNF more than a DNS. Maybe with time I will fear neither. But it would be nice to start out with a half mary that I actually finish, because I know I can do it. 

Sorry to hear about your flat tire woes during a 2008 USAT rankings-important race. I bet you were definitely ready for some redemption at the start of the next season, though Made lemonade out of lemons, huh? You have such a healthy attitude - it's inspirational for me

I've been doing some cross training. Lots of mountain biking, hiked for 6.5 hours last Saturday (off-trail, lots of climbing and rock-hopping). I was so tired at the end of the hike, and ate a huge buffalo burger at the post-hike cookout. Then I ate some more after I got home. Then I stepped on the scale the next days and saw a weight loss of 2lbs....was so sore I couldn't move, but I lost weight! Now, that's the kind of training I like! Also been teaching one of my friends how to swim laps (lol - me, teaching).  

Most importantly I AM having fun. When it becomes not fun anymore is when I won't do it.

2011-12-17 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3937544

User image

Champion

GANG -

Ah-ha! We've finally been archived! I hope anyone who kinda sorta still cares will find their way here. I guess that will become apparent in time, though, huh?

SEE BELOW!!!!

2011-12-17 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3942353

User image

Champion

FROM ABOVE!!

Nothing super-important there; this is where the heart and soul of the matter is.

Soon......very, very soon......I will effectievly be abandoning this particular group, as well as the other currently active one. As I said a few months ago, my thought is to consolidate those groups (or those mebers of both groups who are interested) into one of the new groups that will be starting soon. That new group, then, will have some members from "BigSkies", some members from "Mojo", and some members who will be new to all.

SO! If you are interested in another go-around with me, and some others with whom you have played for months, and the good folks at "Mojo", I would love to have any of you on board again. When the new group "goes live", I will post it here and hold spots for all who might be interested.

Finally, I am doing this simply because I found it to difficult to keep up with two groups at once. I often lost track at what I had posted to where, and beyond that it severely affected my race reports; couldn't see writing two of 'em, so often didn't write any! It was an experiment to start this group a few months after I began with "Mojo".....and I learned fairly quickly that I just couldn't adequately serve either group as well as I wanted to.

Finally-finally, no name yet for the new group, although i might keep with the Mojo idea. I seem to mention that a lot by way of wishing people well, so it seems to have some actual applied utility as a name. Plus, I am not feeling too clever or creative these days, and nothing has blossomed in my brain yelling "Use me! Use me!", so........

2011-12-17 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3937544

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Yeah, the spectre of holiday weight gain DOES loom, doesn't it? I am hoping to keep from going north of 173, but won't deprive myself too much in the process. I finished the race season at about 164/165, and then made a few quick tumbles up to about 168/169, and more often than not recently, I am at 170/171. So, we shall see!

That said, i am still not doing much to whack down the weight -- virtually no running or cycling (indoor), still. Yoga is good for 5-7X a week, and the past three weeks of swimming have been 5X, 4X, and 5X, but none have been over 35 minutes of actual swimming time. Still, I feel good about that, and have made some nice inroads into being quite comfortable breathing bilaterally. That's been the big focal point, so I'm pleased with the swimming -- as short and relatively easy as it has been.

Enjoy the next 2-3 weeks of Base training, which I always find pleasurable. There is a real tendenct up here to continue wishy-washy Base training for much of the winter, just to avoid some of the problems of feeling compelled to work out seriously when the weather is atrocious. A pox on winter (northern-style, anyhow)!!!!

2011-12-17 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3940284

User image

Champion

TRINA!

YO! Congrats on PRing the 5km!! Isn't that sweet when that happens -- the spirit doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight, but the workout/race gets done anyhow, and it turns out stellar. That is SO far better than the opposite -- feeling psyched, only to have the workout/race be awful. There really is no predicting (at least for me) how that stuff plays out, although far more oftebn than not, good things happen just by virtue of showing up. Maybe not stellar, to be sure, but good and acceptable and beneficial and worthwhile -- all those prosaic things that seem to work to build strong bodies and minds twelve ways!

Yes, the DNF is vastly worse than the DNS. To DNS usual involves some active decision-making from the DNSer, while the DNF is mostly seemingly beyond personal control. Plus, to DNF involves having gotten to the race in the first place, which usually involves some fair expense.....which might prove difficult to explain away to one's more frugal spousal unit (I'm just sayin'!). Hopefully, though, you will never face a DNF, but if it happens just remember that the sting of it at the time does, like most other unfortuante happenings in our lives, fade away over time.

Congrats also on the MTB+Hiking+BuffaloBurger=WeightLoss. I think you've stumbled upon a marketable formula!

Finally, as for you teaching someone how to swim ---- maybe not as LOL as you might think. The world is full of people who don't excel at the doing part, even though they know all the ways to get it done. I think of baseball hitting coaches such as Walt Hriniak and Charlie Lau, both career .237 (give or take) hitters in their playing days, who went on to coach great batters such as Carl Yaztremski and Wade Boggs. So, i am sure you are giving your friend very sound advice, and I hope she is aware how fortunate she is to have someone at hand who knows what she (that would be you!!!!) is talking about!

2011-12-18 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3942364

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-12-17 6:17 PM FROM ABOVE!! Nothing super-important there; this is where the heart and soul of the matter is. Soon......very, very soon......I will effectievly be abandoning this particular group, as well as the other currently active one. As I said a few months ago, my thought is to consolidate those groups (or those mebers of both groups who are interested) into one of the new groups that will be starting soon. That new group, then, will have some members from "BigSkies", some members from "Mojo", and some members who will be new to all. SO! If you are interested in another go-around with me, and some others with whom you have played for months, and the good folks at "Mojo", I would love to have any of you on board again. When the new group "goes live", I will post it here and hold spots for all who might be interested. Finally, I am doing this simply because I found it to difficult to keep up with two groups at once. I often lost track at what I had posted to where, and beyond that it severely affected my race reports; couldn't see writing two of 'em, so often didn't write any! It was an experiment to start this group a few months after I began with "Mojo".....and I learned fairly quickly that I just couldn't adequately serve either group as well as I wanted to. Finally-finally, no name yet for the new group, although i might keep with the Mojo idea. I seem to mention that a lot by way of wishing people well, so it seems to have some actual applied utility as a name. Plus, I am not feeling too clever or creative these days, and nothing has blossomed in my brain yelling "Use me! Use me!", so........

Let me know when you new group goes live and I'll jump in.

2011-12-18 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3942689

User image

Champion

JEFF -

"Jump in"?? No need for that, as I've reserved the perfect spot for you -- at the end of a cyber-rack that is close to bike-out AND run-out. How's that sound?

2011-12-19 12:47 AM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Heya Steve -

Again, thanks for the perspective. I really enjoy teaching my friend to swim, and given that swimming is by far my strongest sport in triathlon, it's better than trying to teach bike (of which I know little) or, God forbid - running (of which I know next to nothing). 

Oh, and I do want to be a part of your new Mojo group!

2011-12-19 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3943435

User image

Champion

TRINA -

It's gone "live", earlier than I expected but that's okay. Jeff is already there, so just bop on over and kind of sign in now, then post your bio whenever you can. See ya there!

2011-12-19 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3944914

User image

Champion

GANG!

The new group has gone "live", so if you want to join it just check in now and post a bio as soon as you can. Hope to see any/all of you over there!

I'll continue paying attention here for a while still, so even if you don't plan on joing the new one, I'll still catch you here. Bye for now!

2011-12-28 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3944919

User image

Concord

Hey Steve,

Are you still coming to California?  If so, maybe we can meet up.  I sent you a private message.  Let me know. 

Canon

2011-12-29 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3957463

User image

Champion

CANON -

Yes! I saw! And thanks for thinking of me!!

We're still coming, and a meet-up would be great. Plans are still in the works, though, but I will let you know when we will be in the your general area. My quick thought is Monday the 30th, which will be the last day of the trip. I qwill say more in a PM to you in a day or two.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57