BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-04-08 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!
WHO THIS GROUP IS FOR: ANYONE! New, experienced, old, young, guy, girl, you are all welcomed here. If you need running help that will be a bit of a focus this go round.

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start today!

NAME: Newbz/David

STORY: Me in a nutshell, or, more accurately, me the nut. I started racing triathlons 5 years ago after a serious back injury knocked me out of rowing. I had a bit of carryover fitness from rowing that helped in triathlons, but i was a slow as snot swimmer and runner, and it's taken a LOT of hard work to improve. After 3 years of just sort of messing around I started training in a much smarter manner and took the time to really start learning about what it takes to train effectively and injury free. I used this as a base to start a coaching buissness and so far the training principles have shown great improvement to both myself and my athletes.

Outside of triathlon I split my working time between my triathlon coaching, working as a freelance photographer, and a rowing coach.

When not racing/working, you'll most often find me in the kitchen cooking our out exploring the rivers and streams around the area i live (philadelphia PA) in search of big fish in small places.

FAMILY STATUS: It's just me right now. I live with my brother who is 18mo younger than me.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently biking a LOT, and will be adding the run back in as soon as I can (dropped something on it at work and it's taken me out for almost 3 weeks right now). I'm focusing on duathlons/cycling//running this year due to some past shoulder injuries.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: To date i've raced 4 times so far this year, all running.
Two 5ks both around 17min, a 7mi mountain trial race that was one of the most insane courses ever, and a 10k here in philly where i set a PR in 36:34

2011 RACES: The plan assuming my foot heals quickly is to race a number of duathlons this summer/fall and see where things end up.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently hovering around 6-7 pounds over ideal race weight for me, but that should come back off with the running.
Since starting triathlon my in season weight is down almost 15 pounds from my first season. (i'm not wildly tall at 5'7'' on a good day)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 4th year of mentoring groups (2-3 per year total), and i've had a blast so far.
First and foremost, i'll be available a lot, I live at my computer when i'm not outside, and will be on here a lot.
I've been around endurance sports in one form or another for over 10 years now and love everything about them, racing, training, learning about them, talking with others, and giving back to people (probably a bit of what draws me to coaching). I don't have all the answers, but if i find something i dont know, i'll do my best to find it or point you in the right direction.

Edited by newbz 2011-04-29 10:05 PM

2011-04-11 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3436046

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? OPEN!

David, you always seem to have really active mentor groups.  I know this is still in the staging area, but I wanted to be part of your group for the season start.  I try to be active on the boards here and work has been getting in the way as of late.  Being part of a group helps keep me accountable to my training log too.  I'll dig up my bio here shortly.

-Jay

ETA bio

NAME: shmeeg / Jay 

STORY: 2010 was my first season.  I am in the military and come from a running background.  Hadn't pedaled a bike in about 20 years and my 'swimming' consisted of what you see at most 'family' type pools.  I had an absolute BLAST this past season racing and learning the new disciplines!  I love this sport, the training, and the people.   I joined a mentor group as soon as I found BT and without a doubt, it helped me improve at every event I raced last year.  I love calling myself a triathlete and love to see how far I can push myself in the sport.  I like being part of a group, and helping motivate other triathletes to be succesful.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 12 years, one 7yo daughter.  My wife is an active runner, we have 'running dates' a couple times a week and will be doing some trail and road races together this year. 

CURRENT TRAINING: All running.  Both my TT bike and my road bike were stolen last week and I haven't gotten in the pool in a couple months since I don't have any tris scheduled for awhile.  I was supposed to race a duathlon this weekend but that's out.  I'm just focusing on trying to get stronger on the run for meow.

2010 RACES: Did a super sprint and 3 sprint races.  Won my AG at the super sprint and finished MOP at the sprint distance races.

2011 RACES:  I've only done a road bike race so far this year, which was in March.  I have several running races scheduled, hopefully a bike race or two and an Oly to finish out the season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I eat like sh*t.  I'm not fat, but when I'm training over 8 hrs a week I seem to get thinner around the midsection.  I'd be happy if I could just get my diet in check and I'd probably lean down another 10 lbs in the process.

Edited by shmeeg 2011-04-11 11:53 PM
2011-04-12 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Jay welcome!

That sucks badly about the bikes. I had my TT (only) bike stolen last year, that was not a fun time.
I'm also doing a lot more running this year and will hopefully be getting back to that shortly (hurt my foot at work somehow).

Welcome again and keep an eye on this, should be active in the next day or so.
2011-04-25 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Oh, hey. I think it's time I actually joined one of these groups. I need something to help kick my butt into gear.

Name: Karen

Story: Um... I've been doing triathlon for about 6 years now, although I did take last year off completely. We bought a house two years ago, and have been caught up in that. And then there was the six months i was sick last year with this and that. I pretty much stopped doing anything active while I recovered. But I'm trying to get back into it now, slowly. I've always been slow, but was starting to see improvements when I had to stop training. I'm hoping that once I get back into the habit of training again, I'll be able to get back to that place.

Outside of training/racing, I'm a part-time college student, part-time etsy seller. I'm actively looking for some kind of employment for the summer that isn't retail, and I expect that will only slightly impact my overall training schedule.

Family Status: My boyfriend of 8 years and I live together and sometimes train together. He's just starting to get back into training again as well, and he encourages and supports me in my efforts.

Current Training: Uh, yeah. I've been slowly increasing my running, from none to three times a week, 3 miles each time. That's pretty do-able at this point, and I'm looking to slowly build that up to distances that will eventually help me improve my strength and speed. Currently, I'm in the 13 min/mile range, which I keep telling myself is fine for base training, compared to where I was 8 months ago (in bed). At my peak, a couple of years ago, I was hitting ~11 min/mile race pace, and was on target to keep improving. My long-term goal is to finally make it to the elusive 10 min/mile pace for racing.

As for cycling, it's a slightly different story. Even when I was sick, I was bike commuting to school (except for when I was too sick to go to school). It's only 3 miles each way, but on my ancient steel rockhopper with knobby tires, it's a good strength workout. Lots of starting from stops. When I ride my roadie, I can feel that I have more power than I used to. But I don't have any endurance. I can get up to speed, but I can't hold it for long.

Swimming is a whole other thing. I quit my gym because I couldn't afford to no go every month. Before I got sick, I had taken several private swim lessons and was able to improve my form dramatically. Now I just need to get in the water consistently to remember what I learned. Since I'm counting pennies, I'm hoping to get some quality time in open water this summer, where it's free to swim.

2011 Races: Well, I've already done one sprint. I wasn't really prepared for it, and only signed up as a means to motivate myself. It worked. I did the whole thing without a watch, and pretty much just went out there to remind myself how fun it it.

Going forward, there's a series of Olys that we used to do, and I'd like to aim for again this year. June, July and August. I also have a wild hair to finally get serious about training for a half in Aug.

Aside from tris, there are a handful of 10k running races that I always enjoy doing.

Weight Loss: Yeah. I could stand to lose about 40 pounds. Part of what made me sick last year was a broken thyroid. Now that I'm on medication for that, my weight has already come down 15 pounds. I'm hoping that trend continues but I could also stand to clean up my diet a bit. Also, I expect regular training would help.

2011-04-25 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

I think I have a found a new home, have room for one more?

NAME: jaclynembry / Jac 

STORY: 2011 is my first season of attempting to be a triathlete. I decided to try triathlons because I have always enjoyed cycling and swimming, but have never been a fan of running. I have been serving in the Army National Guard for a little more than 4 years, and my lousy running is starting to get me in trouble, so I decided that it was time to make a change. I have done 2 sprints so far this season, but because of a ankle injury about 2 months ago I didn't do the run event in either. I am hoping that this is my last week of not running, and I am looking forward to my first full blown event at the end of June. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, I have been trying to get my husband to consider Tris too, but as of yet I haven't had a ton of luck. He cycles with me and that about it. Cross your fingers that he tries is out and gets hooked like I did sometime this season. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Cycling 3 days a week, and swimming 1-2 depending on my crazy work schedule. I hope you mix in 2-3 days of running a week once my ankle heals.

2011 RACES:  I've done 2 sprints so far this season, and have 5 more sprints, and 2 sprint duathons scheduled. If the season is a success I want to try out a Olympic at the end of Sept.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have always watched what I eat, and I love what triathlon training does for my physique. I am hoping to tone my entire body a little more throughout the season.

2011-04-25 11:55 AM

David,

I am Steve and would like to join your group.  Here is some info on me....

NAME: Newbz/David

STORY:  Orginally from Upstate NY, went to college in Atlanta and settled here.  I have run since HS, and started back up competively at age 40 (my 2nd or 3rd mid life crisis I think)!  I am in great shape, and was talked into tris from my running friends who also do them.  I am hooked already!  I love to workout and learn all about tris.  I think I may be over-training, though, and am constantly tired. 

I would like to join your group!  Seems like you have great energy and enthusiam!!

FAMILY STATUS: Single, but dating

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a BIG runner, but at 42 have been battling an achilles tendon issue.  It seems much better, but have been running slowly all winter.  I have been biking and swimming a good bit (like 2x a week).  Biking is usually spin class one night, then on road for a long ride on weeekends.  I can easily do 40-50 miles, have not gone higher yet but probably can handle it.  Swimming is my WORST element.  Joined a masters team last fall and have seen a lot of improvement.  Just tried open water swims the last few weekends, and I am slow and constantly out of breath. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  New to tris, but have run for over 25 years and completed several half-marathons the last two years.  Best time there was 1:37. 

2011 RACES: I am doing my first Tri this Sat (a sprint).  I also plan to do at least one other sprint and an olympic this summer, and a 1/2 IM in late Sept. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently either at a good weight or maybe a little on the thin side.  I think I need some strength work if anything.  I am a very heathly eater, but hate to cook!  I am a small guy...around 5'6". 

2011-04-25 11:56 AM

oops...I copied your info then edited it for mine (but did not delete your name!)  I am Steve Cote'
2011-04-25 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3464550

User image

Champion
Guys welcome!

We'll try and get 12-15 people total and see who all stays around.

If you plan on leaving for another group, or not being active, thats fine, but please let me know so i can make room for someone else!

thanks guys. I'll have more tonight and a bit more info on the group!
2011-04-25 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
No, Newbz...relax, I'm not barging into your group AGAIN.  Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice over the last year...I'm running pain free five-six days a week!!!  Have an awesome season! 
2011-04-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3464349

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
madkat - 2011-04-25 8:25 AM

Oh, hey. I think it's time I actually joined one of these groups. I need something to help kick my butt into gear.

Name: Karen

Story: Um........

Wow, sounds like you have overcome a lot of adversity!  Your many years of experience should help out the new folks in the group for sure.

2011-04-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3464599

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-25 11:23 AM

No, Newbz...relax, I'm not barging into your group AGAIN. Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice over the last year...I'm running pain free five-six days a week!!! Have an awesome season!

Hahaha! I'm not sure what i'm going to do without another rower around!
On a side note photos should be ready soon!

2011-04-25 2:02 PM

User image

Just saw this group go live and wanted to pop my head in.

I was a member of David's last 2 groups and learned a ton.  Anyone already in should consider themselves lucky, and anyone considering it should pull the trigger.

2011-04-25 5:14 PM

New user

I would love to join the group if you still have room! My name is Casey and I am a 48 year old male, just recovered from prostate cancer in November and on my way back to regular fitness. I have never done a triathlon but have targeted a sprint triathlon in August 2011 in North Carolina. I am a single father with two teenagers. I have been running for years and have been riding the local American Tobacco Trail at least once a week and have been swimming 3X per week at the gym lap pool since the beginning of the year. My swimming is by far my weakest link and it has kept me from pursuing a triathlon in the past but I have committed to finishing one this year as a way to show myself that I have kicked cancer and am back to normal health. Any tips you can give me with regards to swimming would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to lose 20 lbs in the process of getting in shape to do my first tri.
2011-04-25 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3464789

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

newbz - 2011-04-25 2:26 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-25 11:23 AM No, Newbz...relax, I'm not barging into your group AGAIN. Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice over the last year...I'm running pain free five-six days a week!!! Have an awesome season!
Hahaha! I'm not sure what i'm going to do without another rower around! On a side note photos should be ready soon!

Sweet!  Just let me know.

2011-04-25 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3465410

User image

Champion
Casey welcome aboard!
2011-04-25 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
VB06199, congrats on beating cancer, if you could do that these tris should be a piece of cake! As far as swimming goes, try to do lots of it and joining a masters team or getting a coach won't hurt either. Good luck to you!

2011-04-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3465861

User image

Champion
For everyone already here, and those still looking to join,

This group is for you guys, a place to learn, ask questions, keep up with one another, use each other for motivation, etc.
We can go ANYWHERE you want in here, if you want to ask questions, answer them for others, everyone is more than welcome to.

My only request is that you keep active in here at least once a week (and by all means more if you'd like/are able!)

Part of the reason a group like this is great is that we have people of all ages and experience levels to learn from.

Lets have a good start to the season!
2011-04-26 9:05 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I would like in. I will post my history, my goals, and my plan for the year once I get off this damn trainer.
2011-04-26 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
So who's racing soon?
2011-04-26 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
My next race isn't until the end of June. Hopefully my ankle is 100% by then.
2011-04-27 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3468153

User image

Champion
We still have room for a few more if people are interested!

No racing in the near future for me. I'm trying to sort out of a foot issue and have yet been unable to so just biking.
I've been jumping into a free weekly TT series though and my last one went very well for me.

How is the weather shaping up for everyone? I think we are finally on our way to summer weather here in Eastern PA, been in the high 70s and 80s all week!

2011-04-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3468504

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

Everyone's on the mend eh? I don't have anything on the radar until June as well.  A weekly TT sounds like fun (also sounds like CFE training)!  I miss cycling.  I finally got a check from my insurance company, hopefully I will have my road bike built up in a couple weeks.  I wanted to dump all the $ into that but I can't seem to find a compact SRM or Quarq w/ the right size cranks.  I'm only doing 1 or 2 tris this year and may just get a TT frame w/ the leftover cash and build that up myself to learn how to wrench on bikes more. I hate not knowing how to do the stuff myself.  I considered it a huge accomplishment when I could swap cassettes and tune the rear deraileur on my own! Laughing

ETA: weather here is awesome!  I ran sans shirt yesterday and my back got all sunburned Tongue out

Edited by shmeeg 2011-04-27 10:07 AM
2011-04-27 12:00 PM

I Have a question about nutrition do's and don'ts before a race.  I have a sprint on Sat (my first tri) and do not want to do something stupid!  I think I am ok during the race, but it's just what to have before, and how far in advance.  Any advice? 

Thanks!

Steve

2011-04-27 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3468097

New user

New to all of this so my only race on the schedule so far is a sprint tri in August.  I may try another one before or after that, but the event in August is a definite since it is right in my backyard!  Plus it is a pool swim, I have not done any open water swimming yet.

2011-04-27 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3469178

User image

Champion
Stevejcote - 2011-04-27 11:00 AM

I Have a question about nutrition do's and don'ts before a race. I have a sprint on Sat (my first tri) and do not want to do something stupid! I think I am ok during the race, but it's just what to have before, and how far in advance. Any advice?

Thanks!

Steve

Within reason, just stick with what you are comfortable with leading up to it.
For a race that short the only meal i'll change is possibly the night before, nothing that could cause issues (you'll know what those foods are for you hopefully).

Morning of, partly will depend on how long you'll be on course. I've ranged from nothing to a full meal for sprints, but typically will do something like a bagal, or a bananam, or cereal before i leave home and pop-tarts on the way there.

My pre-race food of choice on the way to shorter races and running races is two poptarts and a banana or something along those lines.

Just keep it simple race morning a few hours out and you'll be fine. most any breakfast foods like cereal, oatmeal, etc are fine.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14