Ironman
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 52m 33s
Overall Rank = 989/2878
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 172/328
Pre-race routine:

Did not do as well as I wanted to do as far a leading up to the race. Two days at Disney Land prior to the race was great but not so good for racing a 70.3. I wasn’t able to do my normal pre-race routine for the entire week just because of visiting with family and making sure my daughter got to have fun at Disney. Race morning I got up at 0400 and ate breakfast (3.5 cups of apple sauce, Weigh protein, Sports Drink and half of a banana the other half was no good). At around 0500 I left for the race and had no issues parking and getting to the transition area. Set my gear up went to the restroom then sat in transition and talked to a cool Brit guy. I found out later his bike broke and he could not finish.
Event warmup:

None i used the swim as my warm-up.
Swim
  • 34m 39s
  • 1980 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

It's been a while since I've done a cold / salt water swim. I used a wet suit cap which was a bad Idea. It ended up sawing the back of my neck. The pace was good. I have to figure out why I won't do bi lat breathing in open water. I'm going to make it a point to do bi lat breathing at some other races in May.
What would you do differently?:

No wet suite cap and force myself to do bi lat breathing.

I think if I do the Bi lat breathing I will get into a much more natural pace. For whatever reason when I was breathing on my left side the hole time I kept telling myself slow down. The Bi lat breathing makes me not have to worry about my pacing for whatever reason.

Transition 1
  • 06m 59s

I need to practice getting on the bike and getting into my bike shoes on the move.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

At first I thought I had gone way to hard on the bike now that I’ve had time to look at the data I think I did push it a little bit. But I was have such a good time I didn’t care.

Maybe go a little bit slower.
Transition 2
  • 04m 59s
Comments:

The transition point was a little different being we road our bike over some technical bumps making it not a smart thing to ride without your feet in the shoes in my opinion.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 12m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

My overall pace was ok. But I think because I went just a little too hard on the bike I went a little slower than I could have gone on the run. It also did not help I had to stop twice to go to the bathroom the last 3 miles. At first I really was going at a 8:30 pace but realized I had to slow down. My overall goal for IMCDA is 9:00 to 9:30 pace. I think if I take into account I was at sea level I should have been able to run a 8:40 pace. Which is a indicator I probably have gone to hard on the bike.

My highlight was watching this 67 old dude pass me on my second loop and he was on his first. I know it gave him a boost to keep passing us young guys. Which made me smile. I only hope to still be doing this at his age.

I think I babied my pace a little too much at the beginning. I might have been able to push through the last few miles because regardless I felt great at the end of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Policed my gear up and walked out to find the wife and family being they missed me at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not a good week of proper pre-race week activities and going a little fast on the bike.

Event comments:

It was a good race but WTC is not providing the basic information a race should offer for what we pay. No official hill profile with overall elevation gain. No info on the total # of participants to include how many were in my age group and they did not provide me info on my bike finish place overall or age group place on the bike.

The other thing is my time for the race was 5:36:10 and I even stopped my watch 1 or 2 min after crossing the finish line. They have me finishing in 5:52:33. That's a discrepancy of 16 Minutes???? I always expect a little discrepancy but not 16 minutes.

The best thing I confirmed is to space my Gu’s out at least 1:15.

Last updated: 2010-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:39 | 1980 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 91/328
Overall: 583/2878
Performance: Below average
The Water was an issue for HR monitor but still worked somewhat.
Suit: TYR Hurricane
Course: Out and back. I liked haveing the markers on the left side vs right.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:53:54 | 56 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 119/328
Overall: 647/2878
Performance: Good
BIKE SPLIT 1: 24.45 mi 24.45 mi (1:07:09) 21.85 mph BIKE SPLIT 2: 56 mi 31.55 mi (1:46:25) 17.79 mph
Wind: Little
Course: Great course three big hills starting around mile 26. I really liked it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 04:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:12:15 | 13.1 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 172/328
Overall: 989/2878
Performance: Below average
RUN SPLIT 1: 3.275 mi 3.275 mi (30:06) 9:11/mi RUN SPLIT 2: 6.55 mi 3.275 mi (29:57) 9:08/mi RUN SPLIT 3: 9.825 mi 3.275 mi (34:18) 10:28/mi RUN SPLIT 4: 13.1 mi 3.275 mi. (37:54) 11:34/mi
Course: Flat with 3 small hills. Ran along the beach for a part of it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-09 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile
Subject: 70.3 California

2011-04-09 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3437381

User image

Subject: RE: 70.3 California

I thought about you when it was really hot the days before.   No way I would've been able to to disneyland and THEN the HIM.  COngrats on the sub 6

It's weird they don't still post the elevation chart, they used to.  I know they changed the map graphics so they must have forgotten.  And I also don't know why they take so long to post official results, but that will have the total, the leg standings, etc.

Weird about the timing....  Do any of the official splits not line up with your known pace?  16 minutes is a lot.  The chip timing is pretty accurate

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 70.3 California Rss Feed