Mercy Mini Heart Marathon
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 35m 14s
Overall Rank = 116/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/149
Pre-race routine:

Rode 50 miles on the bike - I know not the smartest thing to do the day before a race.
Event warmup:

Made sure my wife was ready. This was her 2nd race and longest run ever! She was doing the 15k and I the half. I didn't do that great of a job because when we got to my office, which was .5 miles from the start, she noticed she didn't have her chip. I grabbed my keys and got in the car and took off towards home. Once on the expressway I relized I wouldnt be able to get home and back in time. Not that big of a deal since she had a friend she was running with and they were staying side by side. So if you want to see her results you have to look up sarah walters! So turned around and we walked the 3 blocks to the race start. Went inside for about 10 minutes because of the light drizzle. Weather was perfect for the race.
Run
  • 1h 35m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the race towards the front and had a pre-race strategy to run with the 7:15 group then try to catch the 7:00 pace group. Well after the first quarter mile I knew my legs were not up to it. The hills on the bike ride the previous day kicked me pretty good and I was feeling it (Thanks Jess). I settled into a nice pace with the 7:30 group. Stayed with them till mile 3 and started to feel better. I picked the pace up and and by mile 7 caught the 7:15 group. Well not so much a group as it was 3 of us. Miles 8-11 were tough. Stayed with the pacer but legs were now not sore but felt like 20lbs weights. In the end finished slightly behind the pacer but was happy with the race.
What would you do differently?:

I think the 50 miles of hills the day before wasn't the brighest thing in the world to do!
Post race
Warm down:

Turned around in the shoot to see if I could find my wife finishing the 15k. Hopped over the rail and jogged backed to the race path. About a few minutes later - even with a smile on her face - Jenny Waldeck - 1.38.52. Her first 15k!!!!!

Event comments:

Not bad - first year for the 1/2 marathon option and that portion was a little on the light side support wise but all-in-all a good race.

Last updated: 2011-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:14 | 13.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/149
Overall: 116/
Performance: Good
Course: Long rolling hills with one mountian (Torrence rd) right in the middle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes