General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training advice for my second race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-10 3:46 PM

Subject: Training advice for my second race
I just completed my first duathlon Saturday (2.5 mi/17.5 mi/2.5 mi). I talked about for two years and finally followed through. My goal was simply to get out there and do something new and finish the race. I finished, but I am still a little disappointed with my weak performance during the two runs. I never expected to be fast, but I didn't expect to walk part of the first run. I was having difficulty with my shins. I decided to give myself a second opportunity and signed up another duathlon in late May. Clearly my base wasn't as good as I hoped and this race will be a little more challenging - the runs are each 3 miles each. Any ideas for how I can modify my training to be more effective during the next 5 weeks? I train 6 times a week for about 9 hours. Typically, I run 3 days (12 mi total including one long run of 4-5 mi) and bike 3 times (50-60 mi total). Almost all of my running is on a treadmill (using hill programs). I dont see myself finding more time and I am not interested in being faster. I just don't want to walk. The only idea I have is to commit to running outside at least once a week. I am a big guy and tend to jog on a treadmill because it is easier on my lower legs. Any advice is welcomed. Dave

2011-04-10 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3438718

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Training advice for my second race
Run outside more, and probably brick more. Try some bricks like 20/30/20/30/20 as in minutes run/bike/run. Work up to that over the next three weeks and peak with this, then do some shorter ones to dial in your transitions, lots of free time in transition
2011-04-11 10:19 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

do you have good shoes from a "running store"?  that might help with leg pain.

2011-04-11 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I would want to see a history of your training for this event, before adding any comments on how your training effected your having to walk.

I would also want to see a history to understand how you have been training, to advise you on how to train going forward.

Staying injury free with running can be a tricky, delicate balance for SOME people (not all!). Have you upped your running miles no more than 10% per week? Do you have build and recovery weeks? Are you consistent with your running? Have you been running slowly (aka: low HR) to build a base so you can do speed work? Have you been too much speed work/hill training/etc.... thus causing the pain you have now?

I know I didn't help, but questions like this are a lot easier to answer when your training logs are up to date.

Good luck with your next race! And you will get bettter and stronger as time goes on. Endurance takes time!

2011-04-11 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
PS- GREAT JOB on following through and doing your FIRST RACE! You have started on a path of being an athlete! You are going to love it! Keep at it!

2011-04-11 2:03 PM

User image

Was the shin pain a prior injury or something you also experienced during training?  With long runs in the 4-5 mile range, you shouldn't have had to walk in the first run unless you went out way too hard or showed up to the start injured.

So as KSH mentioned, without more info, it's tough to say what the solution is.  It could be you need to train more...or it could be that you need to train less (because ramping up to quickly is leading to injury).  Or it might be that your training is spot on, but your pacing in the first run is too hard.

Good luck.

2011-04-11 7:02 PM

Thanks for all the follow ups.I put together an 10 week plan for to start conditioning myself starting in October. During this time I walked daily 1-3 miles and slowly added in jogging. I began with 1 mile and progressed to 3.5 mi. After this period I put together another program that was about 12 weeks in length. I started with two runs per week - the longest was 3.5 miles. I worked up to 5 miles for my long run using a hill program. My second run I completed using an easier hill program, but go 1 MPH faster. I worked from 2 miles to 3 miles. After about 4 weeks I added a 1 mile run (faster paced) after a 30 minute spin on Wednesdays. I also walk no less than two miles on most days. I had a one week training interruption do to travel for work, but I still used the bike at my hotel. After that I had a true no exercise period of three days - sick. I adjusted my remaing workouts by reducing the weekly long run down to were i left off to avoid injury. I only tapered for three workouts before the race. I did all of my running on a tread mill and really have no issues jogging 5 miles on it. I also bike for fitness as well for recovery. As for my shoes... I was having major problems with my feet a month ago that contributed to my interruptions. I was getting huge calluses and blisters. I went to a running shoe store and was fitted. Turns out my feet are a 4E width and my shoes were standard width. I now have much more comfortable shoes. Thanks,Dave
2011-04-11 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Did you stop because of the pain or were tired? If it was due to the pacing than I would suggest running outside to get a feel of different paces. If you are worried about the beating on your legs find a trail or track to run on.
2011-04-11 8:16 PM

Cardio doesn't seem to be the problem. My shins hurt and calves tighten up. I am a pretty big guy 275 lbs), but have lost a lit of weight over the past two years. I will keep working at it and try running on a trail as a way to get off the tread mill.
2011-04-11 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

My (inexpert) opinion:

Keep doing what you are doing.  And big congrats on getting out there and doing it.

You are being very smart about your training.  Push yourself, but not to the point of injury.  As you reduce the amount of weight that you are carrying (and increase your soft tissue's resistance to stress -- but frankly reducing the stress (i.e., weight) is the most important factor), you will be able to push harder for longer.

For what it's worth, I run on a treadmill less than a half of a percent of my total mileage per year, so I'm hardly an expert on the differences between road and treadmill running, but I find them to be vastly different, and I can easily imagine someone who trains mostly on a treadmill to be surprised about how it feels to run on the road.

(I hasten to add:  I run considerably more slowly on a treadmill than I do no the road.  My point isn't that one is 'faster' than the other, but that they feel different (to me).)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training advice for my second race Rss Feed