General Discussion Race Reports! » Duel at Darby - Hilliard Duathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Duel at Darby - Hilliard Duathlon - Olympic Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hilliard, Ohio
United States
Events Plus Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 05m 32s
Overall Rank = 8/22
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Biked too heavy the day before. Then went out to a bar and drank and stayed up until 1 a.m.
Event warmup:

Rode bike for about 100 feet to check shifting. Stood around and talked to friends.
Run
  • 26m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like garbage due to "pre-race routine" items above.
Legs were like lead.
Started to feel better after a mile.
Plenty of friends to talk to on the way out and back. All events started at the same time on the same course.
However, I returned to the transition area BEFORE the first overall women's 5K finisher for the stand-alone 5K came in.
What would you do differently?:

Um, maybe not drink the night before, and sleep more.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Great. I've never done a run-to-bike transition. It was easy.

Nothing. Totally satisfied.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 40s
  • 30.7 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I really felt like I rode this well. It was great to be on my tri bike again. Ah. The winds were very challenging. The tailwind only came on a rough section of road. The rest was headwind and crosswind. But I was very aero. I pushed the whole time, and after a certain point it felt better to push than to relax. My legs were really spent from the day before, but I never felt impending total fatigue or failure. Mentally I stayed with it the whole time. I was trying to catch this girl in a pink jersey. She was riding a roadbike and was pretty upright, and I was sure I could catch her. At about mile 20, I finally passed her (after getting a little boost from seeing my dh, who was volunteering). Unfortunately, 2 minutes later she saw her parents and got a boost and passed me back. I stayed about 100 feet or so behind her (give or take) the rest of the ride and never could catch her, but she slowed down as we came into the school. My flying dismount flew right past her non-flying one, and I entered transition a second ahead of her. I gained several seconds on her in transition, too.

Nothing. Did the absolute best I could.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Great. My one shoe got stuck, and then I was messing with my watch and walking out of transition and someone said, "Hey, no walking," and I was like, yeah, I guess you're right and just hit "Lap" and started running.

Set up Garmin right in the first place to do multisport.
Run
  • 53m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was amazed I was able to keep this pace. My knee hurt the first mile and then loosened up. The girl in pink was behind me coming out of transition, but passed me in the first 1.5 miles. I was joking with her. She stayed several feet ahead of me the whole time. I passed Doc at mile 1.5 and he was coming in, which would have meant he opened up a 30 minute lead on me, which I couldn't believe. Later I learned he made a wrong turn on the bike course. I also knew there were people I had passed who were right behind me, and I thought I was still in the top 10, so I was letting that pressure of them behind me drive me forward. When my legs got tired I said, "That's OK, I'm running with my core, not my legs," I would tighten things up and check my posture and lean a bit forward from the ankles.
Coming onto the high school property for the last 8/10ths or so, I tried to kick it and catch the girl in pink and the guy in white. My legs said, "NO" and my stomach said, "NOOO!" so I decided just to try to maintain, since my pace was really good and I already missed my 3:00:00 goal.
As I came into the finish, I saw dh and he called my name. Another guy was standing there (as I was passing the guy in white) pointing to a guy in black. He said, "C'mon girls, catch him. He's an Ironman." I said, "Hey, I'm an Ironman!" and just saying it I guess gave me what I needed and I took off and flew past the girl in pink with such ferocity she didn't even give chase, and I tried really hard to catch the guy in black, but he turned it up. I yelled, "I'm coming for you!" but it was too late - he was already in the chute.

Nothing. I really feel impressed with my performance here. I thought I would fall apart on the run considering the 75 miles of hill riding I did the day before. (And the drinking and staying up.)
Post race
Warm down:

Ate pancakes.
Smoked cigar.
Talked trash with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Drinking.
Staying up late.
Riding 75 miles of hills the day before.

Event comments:

Could have used a volunteer at the turnaround at 1.5 miles. Some people were confused about what they were supposed to do since there were 4 races happening at the same time.

Last updated: 2011-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:39 | 03.1 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/3
Overall: 13/22
Performance: Good
8:34 187 8:44 152 8:25 97 (wrong)
Course: Out and back on bike path from high school.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:43:40 | 30.7 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 9/22
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:46 | 06.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/3
Overall: 8/22
9:05 8:35 8:43 8:45 8:52 8:29 (7:26 pace last 2/10ths)
Course: Out and back. Bike trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-10 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Duel at Darby - Hilliard Duathlon - Olympic Course

2011-04-10 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3439076

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Duel at Darby - Hilliard Duathlon - Olympic Course
2011-04-10 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
good job but i would reconsider your pre race routine
2011-04-10 10:30 PM

User image

Delaware, OH

I loved the "Hey!  I'm an IRONMAN!"

Great job, Alice!

2011-04-11 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Wicked performance, especially with the hill training the day prior. Great job!
2011-04-11 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great race speedy! 

2011-04-11 9:58 PM

I was there and raced the sprint du. It was a great event overall. The wind whipped up on a couple stretches of the course but nothing too bad. It was a relatively flat, fast course. For an inaugural event, Carla pulled together a spectacular show.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duel at Darby - Hilliard Duathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed