General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training and stress fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-11 5:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Subject: IM training and stress fracture

So I'm currently training for my second IM.  Less than a month away I've been having a pain in my right foot on the outside for a couple of weeks.  I'm pretty sure that it's a 5th metatarsal stress fracture but I don't have a "definative diagnosis". Either way all signs point to it.  I'm def doing the race, so that is not an option. Does anyone have experience with a sf?

I don't really have pain when I'm running but after about 2.5 hours on the bike I can start to feel it. Mosty achy/bee stinging sensation, redness tenderness after.   I've been trying to limit my rides to that length, but with a 6.5 hr ride due this friday I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Should I try to push through it? Should I just try to maintain what I have and coast through till the race? Help...

2011-04-11 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3439317

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: IM training and stress fracture
See a doctor and get a diagnosis. Then go from there.
2011-04-26 4:54 AM
in reply to: #3439317

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: IM training and stress fracture
I just got over a 5th metatarsal stress fracture. There are a ton of nerves, tendons and ligaments and little bones in that area. If you can run without pain, you may be pre-stress fracture, or just have other inflammation or irritation going on. Sport-specific pain would lead me to think that you have something related to bike shoe or bike fit adding stress to the area. Believe me, when I had that stress fracture, it hurt all the time, and mine was mild.

Make sure you are stretching out your calves and ankles. Make sure you are not twisting your foot or dropping your heels when you pedal (keep foot level). Don't wear high heel shoes. DO the RICE thing after training rides/runs.

It would be a good idea to see a doc to check it out. I hope it's not a stress fracture - I was in a boot for 6 weeks and am still recovering after 6 months! It's an injury that is very hard to heal due to lack of good circulation in that part of the foot for most people.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training and stress fracture Rss Feed