General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 7h 00m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Since the bikes were racked the night before, we just had to set up transition. This was the first time I'd had to do that, but loved it. No fooling with the bike in the AM, etc. Got up at 4:30, at a powerbar and drank Powerade then headed out
Event warmup:

Walked from the hotel (Inn at the Waterpark)....about 1/2 a mile. Set up transition, put on wetsuit, then headed to the swim start. Mainly just loosened up the arms.

****The times are based on my watch as there is no official time****
Swim
  • 38m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

HORRIBLE SWIM. The time may not seem it, but I usually average about 1:30/100m in the pool. The wind and the chop were bad, other competitors "non-sighting" ability can hamper, and taking in too much water will cause you to throw up. I started coughing about the half way point....then BAM....lost my powerbar and gu...but it did have a nice grape flavor. I knew it was going to be rough after that. About 1500m into the swim, I was fortunate enough to catch up to the wave that started 2 in front of me and boost my confidence....that is until the guy started swimming parallel and I hit him in the foot....with my face. Got some salt water in the goggles. not a lot, just enough to annoy.
What would you do differently?:

I have no idea....just had a bad swim. I was shooting for a 32 - 34 minute swim. Guess it's just one of those things.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

Decent T1 time....I actually thought it was slower than that. Rack was in a good loaction (about middle of transition) so that was nice.

Nothing. Took my time getting my feet dried off as I knew I was going to be on the bike for 3+ hours.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.30 mile/hr
Comments:

This was actaully about 6 minutes over my goal time. I was shooting for a 3:20 bike as that's about what my training rides were. I've never been a strong biker. Goal was to go out and have fun with it. Passed a few within the first 10 miles but started thinking that I was going to hard. The aid stations were great. First time that I "grabbed and go". Was pleased with that. Got to the turn around in 1:45....then things when downhill (even though the wind was a tailwind). Was settled in around a 19mph pace but could only hold that for about 20 miles....trailed back down to the 15-17. Got passed by a bunch from 40 - 56. If anyone passed me, you would have known it....I had the distinctive "click, click, click". My computer sensor got turned a bit and was hitting the fork. Couple of people asked it I needed SAG or "that doesn't sound good". It was kind of like a built in cadence counter.

Started having some hip issues around 50....but I pushed through and made it in.

Get stronger on the bike. The wind was a factor (but it was for everyone) so my only limiter was my endurace on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Another good transition for me.

Nothing....racked, shoes off, shoes on, visor, gu in pocket...and I'm out!
Run
  • 2h 50m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

And here's where it all went bad......

Pushed too hard on the bike which left less for the run legs. First mile did the shuffle trying to get my legs under me. With the humidity and heat, it zapped me. Having been under trained going in, I was hoping for a 2:30 but with all the walking I had to do, it really wasn't going to happen.

My amazing wife and daughter were at a spot where they could see me twice per loop. I'll admit....I cried every time I saw them. I was in physical and mental pain but they were out there supporting me. No matter how bad I looked, how much it hurt, they were encouraging me. This was the best part of the race for me.

My second and forth loop were my better loops (both physically and mentally). The crowd was great...and so were the volunteers. A bunch of people shouting your name and giving encouragement is always a great thing.

I cramped a little on the run (nothing dabilitating) but pushed on. The last quarter mile, I was in an all out sprint (well....it seemed it for me) to try to get sub-7. Missed it by a few seconds

Train more.....

I missed 3 weeks of training due to bronchitis and the flu....about 2 months from the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Medal, water, picture.....just basked in the glory of finishing a 70.3!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really early in the season for me. Great race, great support, top notch RD....everything you could want in a race....just really early. Not enought road time, run time, etc....

Event comments:

Keith and his crew know how to put on a show!

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:03 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: QR Shorty
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:26:09 | 56 miles | 16.30 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:50:27 | 13.1 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 4 loops
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-11 8:56 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2011-04-11 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3439567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

Great job out there and congrats on finishing.

2011-04-11 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job out there.  Hope your hip feels better soon!!
2011-04-11 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Nice Job! Tough to run a race that was hotter than all of the training.
2011-04-13 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

Great job! Lots of learning experiences you can carry forward to your next race. Way to fight through it and finish! Having the family there really makes a difference. My wife and son were at one of the little out and back parts so I got to see them twice each lap, and it definitely puts a little extra pep in your step!

Its funny you mentioned that click,click sound from your bike, I think I passed you on the way back in. I remember thinking that didnt sound good! LOL .. I totally missed that you yelled out to me when I passed .. sorry about that ..

2011-04-13 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3443950

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Great Job - Way to persevere through the pain!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed