Red Rock Co.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = 141/261
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 33/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, had a banana and two (2) hard boiled eggs with about 20 oz of Gatorade. Stretched for about 15 minutes at home, then packed the car.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, applied sunscreen, talked with other athletes. Found Kym and Devyn at the start just before the gun. Watched the first wave go out on the first run leg, then went out with the second wave.
Run
  • 24m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Good, smooth run to start. Did not go too fast, held back a bit for the bike and second run. Legs felt strong.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I think I ran this part well, holding back for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Ran through transition wearing my bike shoes (I hate doing that). Felt good and mounted bike ok.

Need to practice clipping in shoes and running without them, then putting them on once on the bike. However, ground was wet and it was cold, so I think wet socks would have bothered me later.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I hit my goal time on the bike, actually beat it by 3 minutes. Pace was good, and I was stronger on the second lap than the first, even with the headwind coming downhill. Stayed hydrated, and picked up water and Gatorade on the way without dropping any. Good nutrition habits, or at least better than normal. Passed a number of athletes whose pace was similar to mine, and I felt like I took the corners well, pedaling right through most of them with little dip in speed. Found out after that my rear tire has a gash in it - lucky I did not get a flat.

I am not sure. I think I kept a good pace and do not know how I could have improved much.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

My calves were cramping pretty bad throughout the bike, so dismounting was not fun, although I did get out of my shoes while on the bike, so it was not a total catastrophe. Tried to run in my socks with my bike through transition and it was hard - I was leaning on my bike due to the cramping. Got to my rack and had a pretty good T2, applying sunscreen, changing shoes, and heading off. Forgot my run nutrition which was a bummer later as I had to rely on the race packets of Gu instead of my preferred nutrition.

Not forget my nutrition, do a little better on the sunscreen, try to run more through transition.
Run
  • 2h 12m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Went easy on the half marathon distance. Quads were cramping hard the first 3/4 mile, but I changed my stride and this seemed to fix the problem. Managed to run the entire distance, walked only through a few aid stations to hydrate. Managed a consistent pace, and did not press too hard on the start.

Pick up my pace just a bit next time to see if I can push it a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Kym and Devyn and walked through the expo and over to transition. Gathered my gear and waited for Steve, Gary and Jon to finish and come by to share pain stories. Drove home and relaxed with some pizza and Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not sure if changing from a triathlon to duathlon changed my performance or not. I went smooth on the first run so as to not wear down for the rest of the race, and I an not sure how a swim distance would have changed that, or my overall time.

Event comments:

Start was delayed due to an accident on the bike course, and the swim had already been canceled due to lake conditions after a rain storm. None of this was the organizer's fault, and they did a great job of working through the challenges to put on a great race. Post-race seemed kind of anti-climactic, as some of the staff were just hanging out and they were already tearing down the sprint and oly transition areas, which always makes me feel like I was too slow for their expectations. Post-race food provider had nothing in their chafing dishes, so we just moved on through and over to transition, which was a bit disappointing. However, I like the race group and will be attending several of their events.

Last updated: 2010-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:18 | 03.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/51
Overall: 0/261
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:57:09 | 56 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/51
Wind: Little
Course: IM AZ course cut short about 7 miles. Mostly flat, and traffic patterns were good.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:12:51 | 13.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/51
2 loops around the lake
Course: Flat loops around Tempe Town Lake. Partial trail, partial sidewalk course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-11 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: Marquee Triathlon

2011-04-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3441138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon
Hey great job!!!!! Enjoyed reading your RR!!! Awesome effort and time!!
2011-04-12 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3441138

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon
Congratulations!!! Great race! It is an interesting question to ponder what would be different with a swim at the beginning! I guess we will have to wait until next year to find out! :>D Congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon Rss Feed