General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South Beach, Florida
United States
MESP
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 40s
Overall Rank = 240/677
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/42
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early around 3:30 am. Got a bagel and peanut butter. Also had some water. Got everything and was off to Miami South Beach around 4:30.
Event warmup:

Got my bike setup and waited around till about 6:15 and then walked the mile or so to the swim start.
Swim
  • 34m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This would be my second swim in the ocean after a 30 minute practice swim earlier in the week. Wasn't very acclimated to the waves and the real saltiness of the water. Usually I can swim faster than this but I wasn't very well prepared for not only the running dive in start but also the sheer chaos it can be. I think I lost a lot of time in the run in as some people were diving, others were running and jumping. Craziness to the first buoy. Also lost my roadid somehow while swimming.

Definitely need to work on:
-ocean swimming if I am doing anymore of them in the future
-Especially like start/finish/and acclimation to the waviness. It wasn't very wavy like a few days ago when I practiced but even little waves can make you off kilter.
-The salt left a bad after taste and the up and down off the ocean made me a lil nauseated. I dont swallow water but sometimes if it gets in your mouth while your breathing or a wave hits on ya you get a bad after taste. Took 2 clif shotbloks in transition to get rid of the taste. I think I will stick to lakes, j/k.
-practice in wetsuit for future races.
What would you do differently?:

More practice OWS and swim more often. I know this is one of the areas I have been letting go and only doing once and sometimes twice a week because I felt more comfortable with it but it didn't show this time around. Definitely more pool time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Once done took 2 shotbloks to get rid of the taste in my mouth, put on gear and ran to bike start. Long transition area to run through.

Try running start or having shoes on bike instead of stopping, clip in, and then taking off.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This being only my like first week riding outside since the end of last season I was unsure what to expect. I got a kk trainer and have been using it pretty religiously all winter long. My previous two races being sprints of 16.4 and 18.7. This time I was happy to see a speed over 20mph. I had two practice rides outside earlier in the week so I got a good feel of the bike handling and also the heat. I dont think the temperature has been above 50 in the northeast in a long time.

I took one gel on the bike halfway through and about 16oz of water.

Get new tires. My rear tire is pretty flat in the middle from the bike trainer.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Ran through transition and racked bike. Slipped on shoes and grabbed hat and bib and was off. Long transition area though.

Practice snapping out of the cleats and running without them. The carpeted area was a bit uneven.
Run
  • 52m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran well. Just ran the NYC HM 3 weeks ago so I was well prepared. Ran slightly faster than my HM pace of 8:43. It was quite hot out though. Poured lots of water on top of myself. Drank very sips of water.

Run more
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a cold rag, water, and banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ocean swim.

Event comments:

The course was well marked. Plenty of volunteers. Large buoys. Lots of cones. Many police blocking off intersections. Bottle exchange on the bike though I didn't have a place to put it since my bike only fits a 16oz bottle. Run well coned and marked. Lots of volunteers offering drinks. Good festivities at the end.

Overall good experience for my first olympic. Plan on doing 3 others this year and getting faster at each.

Last updated: 2010-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:14 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/677
Performance: Below average
Suit: trisuit
Course: Sand start and you run into the water and then out to a buoy and then down the shore and then turn right back into the beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:12 | 24.85 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Pretty flat course with 4 bridges to cross over. They were not very long and easy to climb. Other than that it is flat. Second ave is a bit bumpy though and someone did flat on it. Some potholes and uneven pavement.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:39 | 06.2 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Course: Straight out and back on the miami beach sidewalk and boardwalk. The path has some curving areas.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-12 10:41 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-04-12 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3443602

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Medal:

medal

Swag:

swag

Cool Pic:

pic

2011-04-13 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3443602

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race, congrats!  The heat was a bear for sure, and I only did the sprint.  Cool pic!

Edited by ejshowers 2011-04-13 8:30 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed