Overall Rank = 20/281
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Run
  • 36m 42s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Start time was 8AM; I would have preferred 7:30AM for slightly cooler conditions. I lined up on the right hand side of the pack, second row. The gun went off and I felt great. I ran the first half mile way too fast, promptly got nervous and reeled it in. I actually felt very good considering that I was running well under a sub-7 pace, but since I lack recent short course road racing experience, I didn't know what I could skate by on. Besides, McMillan told me that I should aim for a 7:32.

Mile 1- 7:08

At the beginning of mile 2, I caught up to and passed my a running friend of mine and once again had thoughts that I might be going too fast. I slowed up a bit more and then fell into pace behind another runner for the next 2 miles. I still felt great... maybe too great!

Mile 2- 7:23

Mile 3- 7:20

I hit the 5k mark at 22:34 which is a new 5k PR for me by 41 seconds. I let out an audible squeal when this happened. I definitely did not expect a 5k PR during an 8k race. As I watched Garmin tick past 3.1 miles, I decided to pick things up and pass the dude that I had been running behind. I knew at this point that I could run the next two miles faster than the 7:20s that I had just posted. McMillan had lied to me! LOL! Runner dude held out his fist as I made my move to pass him and we swapped "fist potatoes" mid run. I love that kind of shiz.

The back half of the course had a lot of twists and turns and I had no idea how many women were ahead of me. At this point, I could see only one... perhaps 1/4 mile ahead or so.

Mile 4- 7:14

During the last mile I passed three more men and seriously closed the gap on the one woman in front of me. I think if this had been a 10k and not an 8k, I would have eventually gotten her. As I finished up mile 5 (8k is technically 4.97 miles, but all of the twists and turns had me at 5.06 by the finish), I felt my legs getting heavier and heavier. This bummed me out a bit because my engine was still roaring to go! Over the past few months this has been a common complaint of mine-- it doesn't matter if I'm on the bike or if I'm running, I seem to be limited by muscular fatigue and not necessarily aerobic capacity. I sure do wish one would catch up with the other. Suggestions are welcome. :-)

Mile 5- 7:12

I kicked a solid 6:20 pace for the last bit of the race and let out a loud "wooo-hoo" as I crossed the finish line. Aside from the leg fatigue, I felt terrific! There was no pukey feeling and I was talking to some club teammates right away... which means I still had some gas left in the tank. I was elated! Just like at Disney, I surprised myself! This was another race done on unrested legs and I surpassed my expectations... and McMillan's as well. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a bottle of water and then ran another 2 miles to cool down. What a great race! The only real bummer was that I was once again my "own" sherpa and hence, I do not have lots of race pics to post. At the awards ceremony I collected the cutest (and smallest) blue ribbon, shamrock medal ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper; lots of tri training earlier in the week.

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:42 | 04.97 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 20/281
Performance: Good
Course: This race course is particularly nice in spots with terrific views of the Gulf of Mexico. The race begins at famous Sharky's on the Pier, circles around the Venice airport grounds, winds along the intercoastal waterway and then heads north along the Gulf of Mexico to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes